• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

'Cost of living crisis' is another Labour soundbite that's been proven wrong, just like Miliband's stupid idea of freezing gas prices. Gas bills are now going down, the price of petrol is the lowest it's been for ages, budget supermarkets are taking over and wages are finally starting to match inflation.

No, it is not official and no the IFS does not say that there is a cost of living crisis.

The only crisis the IFS talk about is the financial one (which if you want to play tribal politics happened under Labour's watch).

Thank God.A Tory Boy recognises that the financial crisis "happened under Labour's watch" ie they weren't responsible for it.:smile:

There is no "cost of living crisis", it's a total fallacy invented by figments of Labours' imagination. Nothing anyone will say to me on this forum will convince me otherwise. Maybe if I see actual evidence from someone I know, I might consider it as an "issue", but certainly not a "crisis"

Pity you don't know or believe Jonathan Cribb from the IFS:-

According to him:-“Almost all groups have seen real wages fall since the recession.”

Nope.I quoted yours.

What would you call a six year continual fall in real wages?

A recession. That's what it is. It's certainly not a crisis.

We had our first above inflation wage rise this January. Our first for 7 years. Our order book is rammed and we're working both Saturday's & Sunday's to cope. Our raw material (oil based) prices have plummeted and the sector we specialize in (building and insulation) has seen a 32% overall increase in the last 12 months.

Financially, I'm all right jack. Job security, I'm all right jack.

What crisis?

We had our first above inflation wage rise this January. Our first for 7 years. Our order book is rammed and we're working both Saturday's & Sunday's to cope. Our raw material (oil based) prices have plummeted and the sector we specialize in (building and insulation) has seen a 32% overall increase in the last 12 months.

What crisis?

In that case it's the worst crisis since the 1930's.

I remember in the early 80's when interest rates shot through the roof and my parents really struggling.

To try to compare that today when salaries have been frozen a few years is laughable.

Nope.I quoted yours.

What would you call a six year continual fall in real wages?

What the **** do you really know about it other than what you chose to read? I changed my job at the end of September, knocked 26 hours of my working week and up'ed my wages by five grand +. So **** off with your continuous bile and contempt for this country, there is work, good well paid jobs and if the whingers and work shy got off their fat backsides, they might just find one of them.

What crisis?

Exactly, my company has 5.3 billion in the order book, we are building all over London and new projects are in the pipeline to keep me and thousands in the construction industry busy well beyond my retirement. I could transfer down to Hinckley Point and almost see it through to beyond 65 if I wanted to. I'm playing around with the idea of re-training to operate the piling machines which would bump my money up into MP's salary country. If this is what Comrade Plastic Commie calls a crisis then long may it reign.

And having lived through Thatcher you'll never ever get me voting tory.

Trust me, if you'd lived through the dark days of Scargill, Red Robbo, et al and the way they bought this country to it's knees between 1975 and 1979 you'd be praying for someone like MT to do something.

Trust me, if you'd lived through the dark days of Scargill, Red Robbo, et al and the way they bought this country to it's knees between 1975 and 1979 you'd be praying for someone like MT to do something.

Absolutely, I remember coming in from school and waiting for the dreaded power cuts...eating at odd times according to when the power was scheduled to be on (we all had timetables if I remember correctly?), and the piles of rubbish and subsequent rise in the rat population, no dignity in death for the deceased. Shocking. The Tories always seem to have to rein things in after Labour have splurged and then hand over a healthy economy for Labour to ruin.

I know I am better off in the private sector, my private sector boss recognises and rewards my efforts whilst in education, I was just taken advantage of. My boss there got richer while I, and the other lower paid, got poorer.

I really wish there was a more moderate answer in this country, but we seem to have two opposite sides of the same coin.

Back