• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So The Global Policy Forum are posting and making public out of date information gathered over many months are they. Out of date and wrong a day after going live with it is it?

Umm, yeah ok. If you say so.

Tony Blair said on TV there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, You know how that ended don't you.

Besides which the report is more about the severe and long lasting effect the countries austerity policies have had on the social fabric of the nation than fiscal points of order.

To quote....well, paste actually but you get my drift.

Over 30 UN member states raised economic and social rights concerns related to austerity measures in Spain. The discriminatory impact of health sector reforms -- particularly Royal Decree Law 16/2012 which excludes almost a million undocumented migrants from accessing healthcare services, save for very exceptional circumstances -- faced a broad chorus of disapproval. Many voiced specific concern around the exclusion faced by migrants in health care, housing and education.

People in glass houses n all that ;)

I mentioned that one, completely ignored. Just like what I'm doing with him in future. Not worth a warm cup of sick as far as I'm concerned.

(quote) Actually, Spain in now officially out of recession -for the first time since 2008-and growth last year was 1.4%

Sorry no link but it was on TV1 here last night.

(Granted unemployment rates are still way too high).

Actually I didn't say it was. I said it was in a state and that you should look on your own (adopted) doorstep before citisizing the UK.

(quote)The economic and social rights concerns, which are raised in the GPF report, explain why there were so many Podemos supporters peacefully protesting in Madrid yesterday.

There is obviously a need and demand for the end of auserity policies not just in Spain but all around Europe,including the UK, as Syriza's recent electoral victory in Greece has demonstated.

I didn't query why certain countries had had an upsurge in one type of political support or another so why you felt it necessary to type that I have no idea.

I posted the link to point out that Spain, according to many, has some very real social, political and immigration issues of it's own, far worse than those of the UK. As raised by the concerns of 30 other UN states in the GPF report.

So can we take it from your last reply deflecting the actual purpose and point of the link and report that you agree with it? Or are you still of the opinion that the GPF were wrong?................Actually, you didn't say they were wrong. You just mentioned that Spain wasn't officially in a recession any more. Which had absolutely nothing to do with the issues raised by the report.

As you were.....
:thumbsup:

You quoted someone, (with approval),who stated that Spain has a basket case economy.It doesn't.As I pointed out, Spain came out of recession last year with a 1.4 growth rate.

Of course, there are huge social,economic and political issues in Spain.That's why I was happy to vote for Podemos last June,who came from nowhere to win 15% support in the European elections and will continue to make headlines this year.

You quoted someone, (with approval),who stated that Spain has a basket case economy.It doesn't.As I pointed out, Spain came out of recession last year with a 1.4 growth rate.

Of course, there are huge social,economic and political issues in Spain.That's why I was happy to vote for Podemos last June,who came from nowhere to win 15% support in the European elections and will continue to make headlines this year.

what elections can you vote on in Spain? Here in Germany,i can the european election, but not the German general elections...for Germans only!!!Work & pay tax here,since 1990,but cannot vote ,in the big one

Trust me, if you'd lived through the dark days of Scargill, Red Robbo, et al and the way they bought this country to it's knees between 1975 and 1979 you'd be praying for someone like MT to do something.

When was Scargill in power? I genuinely don't remember that.

Absolutely, I remember coming in from school and waiting for the dreaded power cuts...eating at odd times according to when the power was scheduled to be on (we all had timetables if I remember correctly?), and the piles of rubbish and subsequent rise in the rat population, no dignity in death for the deceased. Shocking. The Tories always seem to have to rein things in after Labour have splurged and then hand over a healthy economy for Labour to ruin.

I know I am better off in the private sector, my private sector boss recognises and rewards my efforts whilst in education, I was just taken advantage of. My boss there got richer while I, and the other lower paid, got poorer.

I really wish there was a more moderate answer in this country, but we seem to have two opposite sides of the same coin.

We ate at odd times too, but that was to fit in with my sister's ****ing dancing lessons.

what elections can you vote on in Spain? Here in Germany,i can the european election, but not the German general elections...for Germans only!!!Work & pay tax here,since 1990,but cannot vote ,in the big one

Same as you Ozzie (or any other EU citizen who's legit).

The European and local elections but not the g/e,which is really something that should be sorted out at EU level, (IMO),since now the 15 year rule has expired, I can't vote in GB g/e elections either.

Personally, I'd prefer to remain disenfranchised rather become a Spanish (or French) citizen.

Where did I say that. Try reading what I said rather than pick holes, the have an attempt at answering my point Trotsky.

Why don't you answer the question rather than pick holes? I asked genuine question. Maybe I misunderstood, but it was a genuine question.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by the dark days of Scargill then, because every post in that thread had spoken of leaders: Blair, Brown and Thatcher:

The only thing I have decided is that having lived through the awful years of rubbish in the streets, bodies not being buried, car strikes and power cuts together with the boom and bust years of Blair and Brown, I will never ever vote Labour again.

And having lived through Thatcher you'll never ever get me voting tory.

Maybe you need to read what it is you're actually replying to, or maybe explain yourself a bit better?

Sorry LB, we seem to be at the wrong end of the same stick. What I meant was that during the mid-late '70 this country was on it's knees due to the Unions and the Labour Government were powerless to stop it. This is why the Tories, with Margaret Thatcher as their leader, won a landslide election in 1979 and kept the Labour party out of power for 18 years.

Sorry LB, we seem to be at the wrong end of the same stick. What I meant was that during the mid-late '70 this country was on it's knees due to the Unions and the Labour Government were powerless to stop it. This is why the Tories, with Margaret Thatcher as their leader, won a landslide election in 1979 and kept the Labour party out of power for 18 years.

And she went so far the other way we're still feeling her legacy of selfishness now, which is why I won't ever vote tory.

And she went so far the other way we're still feeling her legacy of selfishness now, which is why I won't ever vote tory.

This is the bit I find bizarre. If at some point in the future the Tories, none of whom were party members when Thatcher was in office, Implemented a raft of policies which you supported, you wouldn't vote for them due to someone who was last in power 25 years ago? Not directed at you as Ive seen A few comments on here like 'my dad would turn in his grave if I ever voted Tory...'..... It's a shame that it is so tribal, rather like supporting a football team for life, and so few people are pragmatic or flexible in the approach.

This is the bit I find bizarre. If at some point in the future the Tories, none of whom were party members when Thatcher was in office, Implemented a raft of policies which you supported, you wouldn't vote for them due to someone who was last in power 25 years ago? Not directed at you as Ive seen A few comments on here like 'my dad would turn in his grave if I ever voted Tory...'..... It's a shame that it is so tribal, rather like supporting a football team for life, and so few people are pragmatic or flexible in the approach.

But what if the same were true of the Labour party? Would you vote for them?

I did, in 1997 but I wouldn't now, not with the current leadership. I, for one, and I suspect there are millions like me, some without knowing it, who are much better off due to her policies. The left don't like to hear it but she saved this country.

I did, in 1997 but I wouldn't now, not with the current leadership. I, for one, and I suspect there are millions like me, some without knowing it, who are much better off due to her policies. The left don't like to hear it but she saved this country.
Go tell the ghost towns that used to be mining towns that she saved their country.

In terms of Labour Blair had better PR, other than that most Labour supporter would rather back Miliband's policies than Blair's - but Miliband looks a bit funny.

Go tell the ghost towns that used to be mining towns that she saved their country.

In terms of Labour Blair had better PR, other than that most Labour supporter would rather back Miliband's policies than Blair's - but Miliband looks a bit funny.

so you would let people do a dangerous non productive job subsidised by the state? Actually i think this is one policy Thatcher got right.
Plus people will not not vote Labour because Ed Milliband is a geek. It is that they have no credible economic policies.

so you would let people do a dangerous non productive job subsidised by the state? Actually i think this is one policy Thatcher got right.
Plus people will not not vote Labour because Ed Milliband is a geek. It is that they have no credible economic policies.

It is a job that still exists, and her reasoning was not based on the factors you just mentioned.

I think people will vote Labour mainly because of the econonomic policies of the current government.

As I say I wasn't trying to single you out or suggest it's just those on the left with such set in stone allegiances.

I would not rule out voting for anyone just because of what happened a generation or two ago. If they were the most attractive proposition then absolutely. Surely it should be about weighing up merits at the time and not blind allegiance (or opposition) like there is with football teams....

As I say I wasn't trying to single you out or suggest it's just those on the left with such set in stone allegiances.

I would not rule out voting for anyone just because of what happened a generation or two ago. If they were the most attractive proposition then absolutely. Surely it should be about weighing up merits at the time and not blind allegiance (or opposition) like there is with football teams....

Apologies, I got you mixed up with Great Yarmouth Shrimper...

I think people will vote Labour mainly because of the econonomic policies of the current government.
And they may have forgotten the economic policies of the previous government - and where they left us - but hang on, that wasn't their fault was it.

And they may have forgotten the economic policies of the previous government - and where they left us - but hang on, that wasn't their fault was it.
Depends what you are referring to - the worldwide recession wasn't the fault of the previous government and it's continuation isn't the fault of the current government - they are responsible for their reactions to it though.

Back