• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Can we have a list of all those autobiographies/biographies/diaries which reference Southend (either as player or manager), and reviews are good.

A list to start:

Tackling My Demons - Stan Collymore- 9/10. Good Southend coverage, excellent book overall.
Feed the Goat - Shaun Goater - 8/10. Good Southend coverage, bit dull but well written
Big Fry - Barry Fry - Not read
Neville Southall - only skimmed the Southend bit which was dull
Garry Nelson diaries- not read
Eddie Firmani - Playing football with the millionaires - not read

Can we have a list of all those autobiographies/biographies/diaries which reference Southend (either as player or manager), and reviews are good.

A list to start:

Tackling My Demons - Stan Collymore- 9/10. Good Southend coverage, excellent book overall.
Feed the Goat - Shaun Goater - 8/10. Good Southend coverage, bit dull but well written
Garry Nelson diaries- not read

Luggy.Paul Sturrock's autobiography.Only one chapter on us but it is the most recent in print.He praises Bilel's versatility and Coughlan too.Easy read, apart from his courage in dealing with his illness.

Thought Gary Nelson's Left Foot Forward and the other book were wonderful.

Steve Wignall's You Can Have Chips.Again only one chapter on us.Fairly dire though-like his management.

Garry Nelson diaries- not read Loved both of his books. Among the best in the genre 9/10
Bobby Moore - The Man In Full 9/10. Excellent and has a good chapter on his time at SUFC

Ben Smith - Journeyman - not read the whole book and only skimmed SUFC bit, which was relatively interesting I thought.

How about Football Fables by Shrimperzone's own Slipperduke? Not so much an autobiography as a collection of brilliant anecdotes from some of footballs biggest characters - all of which should be exactly the kind of thing that any football autobiography is made of, rather than the vapid self-serving nothingness normally served up. The Southend connection comes courtesy of Barry Fry - but don't let that put you off...

There's a bit on us in Ronnie Whelan's autobiography 'Life in Red'. He doesn't say much (not much positive spin he could put on it after the debut goal....).

A list to start:

First half is a great read. Second half I found difficult just because he's clearly a man with serious issues unfortunately.

Garry Nelsons book is a good read and an insight to a journeyman footballer career.

Im not sure Id elevate it to "wonderful" status though.

Best is Peter Mason's 'biography' of the club - it settles all arguments on who, what, where, how many pre - 1995.
Nelson a top read; Stan's, of course, and Red Card Roy, are all up there.
A ghost-written Freddy might be worth a go...

And if the King ever wrote this book,order me one please Nobbler.
Have got a book,southend utd chronicles...Billy has signed it,with..Pountney,Garner,...Keller???and two others,who i cannot tell who they are

And if the King ever wrote this book,order me one please Nobbler.
Have got a book,southend utd chronicles...Billy has signed it,with..Pountney,Garner,...Keller???and two others,who i cannot tell who they are
At the launch in Waterstones about 2006? the books were signed by the following players, Ken Jones, Mortimer(Lou)Costello, Bobby Kellard, Ron Pountney, David Crown, Bill Garner & Billy Best.

Back