• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know it is only a pre season, but all I have seen is Newcastle passing the ball as they please. No pressure from anyone, could be a long tough season this one.
What is the point of Brown posing up on the roof, he could watch video replay after the match.
Surely his place is by the bench or has he had a row with Rafa?

Decent performance in fairness, nothing special and dull as most pre-season games tend to be. No sign of the goal scoring streak we have found against Great Wakering and co.

Sokolik was Sokolik, solid but then a moment of madness where he falls asleep or does something completely inexplicable. Edjenguele of however you spell it wasn't much better, looked like he'd be strong but wasn't really, reacted to everything a bit slowly and Thompson looked the more experienced and composed of the two. Murray looked alright, nothing special, if we can't find better and he's cheap then I'd take him but would be looking elsewhere for now.

McGlashan and later McLaughlin the highlights for us.

It's show that we need more midfielders in as we are far too light in there and Atkinson can't keep the ball and do a simple pass, he gave the ball away that lead Newcastle to score to make it 1-0!

With Timlin out and both him and Wordsworth being injury prone I'm worried about having to fall back on Atkinson, as loyal as they come and a work horse, but his a league two midfielder at best. Suddenly out most in depth position seems a tad thread bare going into a long season.

Match report: Southend United 0, Newcastle United 2

RAFA Benitez’s Newcastle United condemned Southend United to their first pre-season defeat of the summer at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

It's show that we need more midfielders in as we are far too light in there and Atkinson can't keep the ball and do a simple pass, he gave the ball away that lead Newcastle to score to make it 1-0!
Very harsh. I'm far from a fan of Atkinson but thought he had a great first half, picked the ball up and drove forwards a lot. Second half and that goal on the other hand...

Atkinson can not start the season in center mid. I was saying it last season, and it won't change this season. The guy isn't god enough! It don't matter what strikers you sign, if you are not feeding them the ball it's irrelevant what striker you have. The midfielders create you goals and with Leonard defending, relying on Atkinson is worrying. Moussa please come back!

Slow build up play. When will this ever change? We will get nowhere keep passing back and forth at the back, slow plodding build up play so the opposition always have men behind the ball.

How on earth did McGlashan get MOM? He was awful, only touched the ball twice in the first half

Sokolik no where near a L1 defender.....too many rushes of blood to the head causing confusion.....we desperately are missing that creative sparks in midfield......all running n no ideas what to do with it when they win it!

Back