• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't be bothered to give any ratings, they were all around 4-6 and just as bad as each other really. It was the same old story with us playing a 'small' team away from home and being taken apart with ease. It's really dissapointing that we can only be bothered to turn up at the 'big' away games. Of course the players must take some blame for these away results but i think Brown is the main reason.

Brown got so much wrong today. Playing Mooney up front by himself works at home when we're pressuring the opposition and have bodies getting forward to support him but when we're being dominated and can only serve him with aimless hoofs, overhit through balls and crosses that either don't beat the the first man or go straight into the keeper's hands it's not suprising that he struggles to make an impact. Brown then has the audacity to blame Mooney for not being able to work magic with the **** service he was recieving. I don't understand why our fans were abusing mooney and cheering when he was subbed, anyone with a half brain could clearly see it was the systems fault and not Mooney's. The decision to swap Fortune for Mooney 30 minutes in was ridiculous. The same problems continued but it was now Fortune who was suffering because of it and not Mooney, well done Brown you tactical genius.

Bringing on Ranger was at least one good move (although I'm not sure it was worth risking him in a game we were never going to get back into) although he should have brought off McLaughlin who had his worst game of the season. McGlashan wasn't great either but he was more likely to do something than McLaughlin. Ranger was a threat and looked to have real quality on the ball, he looked decent in the air and was pacey which bodes well for the future. Cox looked good when he came on, would like to see him and Ranger up top next week.

Our defending was woeful. The fact that Phil 'cleen sheet mentality' Brown still can't get his team to defend a set piece after 9 months of constantly conceding from them is a joke. The players were all over the place, there was no structure and we allowed them far too much space.

Watching us play away from home is becoming increasingly painful, the sooner Brown goes the better.

PB is clearly under a lot of pressure. I am not sure how long the Chairman is going to put up with this indifferent start to this season. Once again Southend got spanked by a well-managed and well-organised team that has been put together on a relatively modest budget. The contrast with Keith Hill's situation at Rochdale could not be greater. Those factors will not be lost on RM. At present, it seems as if PB cannot think clearly about his team selection or what he wants. It is incredible that Fortune and Cox did not start together today. And why has Jakub Sokolik disappeared from the first team scene? He was one of our best defenders in the early part of the season.

Thanks. It's all about the journey for me. The football is often forgettable. 808 State - they are still going but I think these type of 'legends of acid house' bills are the biggest things they do now. Chelmsford boy Ceephax is on the bill too (brother of Squarepusher).

Yeah, apparently so... :cool:

http://www.808state.com/live/index.htm

and DJ Pierre :dim:

Back to the Old school !

Ah, those heady days of the late 80's. Remember them well and still have plenty of music from around that time in the old collection here.

Friday nights at Mr B's and the like, particularly the summer of '89!

"Pacific State" is still an awesome piece of music.

Good to hear they are still around.

Next you'll be telling me that 'The Future Sound of London' are still going!

Edit : Just Googled. .. THEY ARE! :cool::cool:

Last edited:
You could call it a tale of two set pieces, but it was more than just that. We actually settled in and played ok for the first 15, without of course being rude enough to bother the hosts keeper. My friend, on his first away day this season, nudged me about 30 seconds before their first free kick and said "haven't seen anything from them we need to worry about." As the dangerous left footed Joe Bunney lined up the kick, I did reply, to the naïve away day virgin "yes I thought that at Northampton."

I was surprised that PB had kept faith in Mooney. Yes he has done better lately but Fortune and Cox had done more than enough to be starting. Mooney repaid that faith by giving us a shocking 30 minutes, off-side and falling over. One of his dives was so poor the home crowd actually laughed and done us no favours. The ref allowed the game to flow after that and Rochdale had far more desire, especially in the air, all game. The 2 Mc's were not much better.

Rochdale didn't mind giving us a free kick either. We had 4 chances around their box in the first half. Unlike them, our set pieces were poor yet again. I was sitting in the main stand and their first goal was an excellent delivery 9/10. Can't blame Oxley for that one. What you don't see on the TV is that it really curled from outside the six yard box right onto the head of the impressive Niall Canavan. He had a really strong game very good in the air. As did their MOM Calvin Andrew, who had cleverly won the free kick in the first place. Watch how he attacks the ball for their second goal. We had dealt with the initial corner and cleared it but it was recycled out to the corner and of course they had no Coker/O'Neil needless extra touches. Instead they whip it into the right area and at 2-0 it was as good as over.

The second half had a 30 minute period when they sat back and let us have the ball. You would of thought we were at home in one of those drab 0-0 L2 games. We huffed with out much puff and never looked like scoring, even when Ranger came on.

Lots of players not at their best including Barrett, Lenny and Woody. But one player in particular annoyed me was O'Neil. He was playing down my side second half and he hid. It didn't look that interested v Orient and yesterday he tucked in almost hiding behind his opposite number when we were in possession, instead of pulling wide and giving the mid-field an option.

A lot has been mentioned about formations already. No the team weren't as confused as some have claimed and No they weren't over running us down the middle. In fact they created very few chances from open play. They did score from 2 set pieces and if you can't defend them it doesn't mater what your formation is. We did actually mange a really good set piece in the second half but it was their 9 Andrew who got a good head on it. Which kind of sums up the difference in both teams

The 3rd goal was similar to Northampton's 4th. They broke why we were chasing a consolation. Oxley got ahan on it but it still went in. Felt sorry for Oxley as some will inevitably blame him but he made some good saves and handled some difficult crosses comfortably.

Haven't scored in 3 away now and if we ever want to, we just have to improve our final ball.

There is a good team in there somewhere, but I wonder if Brown is making it too complicated for the players and himself. He may think he is a tactical genius, but at this level, with average players, 4-4-2 is what gets the job done and what most of the players are used to.

This is one of the problems I've seen throughout Brown's entire time here. Even in the promotion season. He thinks he's some kind of world class coach and tactician and ends up massively over-complicating things. I keep saying it for a reason. This isn't the Champions League, it is League 1, with League 1 standard players who have obvious strengths and weaknesses. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS. How many more times is he going to chop and change things, or over-complicate things, or set-up too much for the opposition, or shoe-horn square pegs into round holes and his desired system? It's been going on his entire time here, even in the promotion season it often looked like the players didn't know what the hell they were supposed to be doing. It's past the point where you can shrug it off now. Someone else can get much more out of this bunch of players, they should NOT be in the position they are in now.

IMHO not one of those that started came out with with anything to shout about. They were all pretty abject. Having said that the way the team was set up to start with was suicidal. Mooney was poor, but whose fault was that? He was left out to dry. No support and awful delivery to him. Then to sub him with Fortunè and play the same way until Ranger came on in the second half was ridiculous. It had to be said all 3 subs did ok, particularly Ranger and Cox. That they may start together is encouraging, but our midfield is still a source of worry to me, especially away from home. Too much reliance is put on Lennie. We are too lightweight and his colleagues are pretty woeful in getting stuck in. Ferdinand was placed in there to bolster things and that did help, but was he brought here for that role? Where was the homework on the opposition? This area has looked weak for ages away from home under this set up. It puts unnecessary pressure on the defence. It seems that we are always waiting for a player to return to make things work (quote/unquote). This time its Timlin, then all will be well. And set pieces? Our delivery is woeful. At long last we seem to have the personnel to get on to the end of them, then why do most just sail straight into the opposing goalies gloves? And defending set pieces? Why do we persist with zonal marking? Often the most dangerous opposition players just take up position in an area defended by our less dominant players. Just saying.

Well Phil, you said before the transfer window closed "judge me when the players are back and fit". With the return to fitness recently of Ferdinand, Ranger and Wordsworth, I for one shall be certainly be doing that from now on, as we only have Timlin to come back into the team. Hopefully Ron is keeping a very close eye on the situation over the next few games now 99% of our squad are back and fit.

Well Phil, you said before the transfer window closed "judge me when the players are back and fit". With the return to fitness recently of Ferdinand, Ranger and Wordsworth, I for one shall be certainly be doing that from now on, as we only have Timlin to come back into the team. Hopefully Ron is keeping a very close eye on the situation over the next few games now 99% of our squad are back and fit.

"Judge him after the transfer window"

"Lets see where we are after 10 games"

"Judge me when players have come back from injury"

Well Phil you have been judged my friend. You are nowhere near good enough at this level and don't seem to have a clue how to get a team to defend, which is worrying as you played as a defender. You also somehow appear to have less of a clue getting the team to attack or even play as a team.

If you ever hope to manage another football club then I suggest you jump before being pushed, as that would surely spell the end of your career in management.

Or maybe your better off in front of a camera for sky sports.

Ronald if you read this, then do the right thing. You are losing crowds and support for the team and more importantly you are slowly surrendering our league 1 status with this so called manager in charge.

If he is still here next year there is not a hope in hells chance of renewing my season card. I've already missed 3 home games this season and I am seriously debating working next Saturday and lending my card to a friend.

So Phil Brown says maybe he picked the wrong team. He probably should have said -

"Maybe I picked the wrong team. With hindsight, I perhaps should have chosen Liverpool or Arsenal for this match."

Utter rubbish again. That's ten goals conceded without scoring in our last three away games - what more does Brown have to do to get sacked?

I thought we actually started off quite brightly, Oxley's kicks were causing them some trouble and O'Neill and McGlashan were getting a bit of joy down the right. Sadly we had no threat in the box and Rochdale soon sussed us out. For the rest of the game after the first goal it was just aimless hoofs up to the strikers and it was easy for Dale to defend. Their keeper did not have a proper save to make. This formation whatever it is doesn't work. I don't know what would be the best formation for our unbalanced squad but we just have no midfield at the moment. We lack a Deegan-type enforcer in midfield because Leonard and Wordsworth were just overrun yesterday. Wordsworth lost the ball countless times and Leonard's body language just looks fed up at the moment. He is one of our best players and he's being wasted. I know he's not everyone's favourite but I'd be tempted to play Atkinson at the moment just to give us a bit of muscle in midfield.

Don't understand why Brown took Mooney off for Fortune. If it's a tactical swap then fine but it was a like-for-like swap and we still had the same problem, and I imagine it damaged what little confidence Mooney has. Fortune was no better and got caught offside a lot which people always criticise Mooney for. There was no need for us to have three centre-backs on the pitch, Dale were only playing with one centre forward. Inniss felt like a spare part at times and just hoofed the ball every time he got it. Brown the genius then takes off our two wingers (admittedly McLaughlin was not at the races) so we ended the game with five defenders, two midfielders and three strikers on the pitch. Ranger tried hard but looked a bit off the pace which is understandable. Cox showed some flashes of quality when he came on and at least showed a bit of fight, he also had our only decent effort on goal. Feel sorry for him as he was brought in as our big marquee signing and he's being completely wasted. Personally I would've brought him on earlier for one of the centre-backs.

Also never known such a quiet flat atmosphere at an away game. That's not a criticism of the fans, just reflects how despondent and resigned everyone feels at the moment. Seemed like a few of the 'blue voice' regulars weren't there.

I hope you do not treat all your friends in this way.

LOL he is a regular and he feels the same. We have both been going for 20 years + home and away.

TBF the games have missed.

Brighton in the checkatrade. Don't agree with the competition

Posh at home. Away with family

Orient at home. Family birthday meal.

I used to get really up for it on match days and now it seems like a chore tbf. I don't even get annoyed when we lose anymore.

LOL he is a regular and he feels the same. We have both been going for 20 years + home and away.

TBF the games have missed.

Brighton in the checkatrade. Don't agree with the competition

Posh at home. Away with family

Orient at home. Family birthday meal.

I used to get really up for it on match days and now it seems like a chore tbf. I don't even get annoyed when we lose anymore.

Why then do you make several angry posts on every after match thread. Plenty of other threads for PB out or the Checkatrade argument. People would rather discuss the actual match on this one.

To me some of the latest comments on here cannot be from true fans. Sure we are struggling at the moment but all true dyed in the wool supporters who really care would never say they do not not passionately care about every result. As I have said before, true supporters have Southend United drilled through their body like a stick of rock. Times will improve, trust me. This is when the true supporters shine. COYBB

To me some of the latest comments on here cannot be from true fans. Sure we are struggling at the moment but all true dyed in the wool supporters who really care would never say they do not not passionately care about every result. As I have said before, true supporters have Southend United drilled through their body like a stick of rock. Times will improve, trust me. This is when the true supporters shine. COYBB

I get what your saying. But it's hard to back such abject performances, such poor management and also a club with a chairman that seems intent on either recouping losses or going down with a sinking ship rather than consider other options.

I am a true fan and I certainly do not support southend every week expecting a win. If I did I'd follow a prem club.

What I can't handle is passionless displays and players walking around a pitch like it means nothing. When that happens all support for those on the pitch drains away.

As for the match itself. I did toy with the idea of going as I haven't been away this season mostly due to work and family commitments. I did listen on the radio but switched off at about the hour mark when it was clear that 3 points would be staying in the north.

If that makes me less of a fan than some the so be it, but after going home and away without missing a game under Alvin Martin era I think I know the drill.

Got a season card so will go. Just want to see 100% commitment and a management team who set the team up with a clue of how to win.

Ref above from Tom.
I don't witness an apparent lack of effort BUT I do witness frustrations and micro coaching stifling potential and player's on field positioning. Phil has, by the discarding of Bolger and Luke showed he won't tolerate player initiatives unless HE sanctions it.

Twitter reaction to Blues' defeat at Rochdale

SOUTHEND United's fans took to Twitter to express their frustration following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Rochdale.

More...

Back