• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The last match that my mum was well enough to attend was the abomination under Wignall when we contrived to lose 3-0 at home to Mansfield in August 2003.

Iyesden Christie hat trick.

I've never forgiven Christie or Wignall.

There was one I think for Morecambe not so long ago, 2013/14 rings a bell. We lost 1-3 and all their goals were scored (I think) by their midfielder Andrew Fleming

Checked Soccerbase - he got 2 and Jack Sampson (remember him?) got the third.

"He got all 3 in the 4-2 defeat in October 85 "

How did that work?

It's getting "all" too much for me - anyway Perry scored 8 goals against us in 1985. Col U derbies were not games to look forward to in those days.

In the 2 seasons 84/85 and 85/86 Groves scored 9 times against us, Tony Adcock 7 and Keith Bowen 3 plus we added a couple of own goals and two others got 1 for them, 23 conceded in 7 games in total. Fortunately Groves joined Arsenal in September 86.

When yesterday's home match against Walsall was over it got me thinking about how many times I had seen a visiting player like "ERHUN OZTUMER" leave either Roots Hall/Stadium/Kursaal with a hat-trick against his name.
To start this thread and I can only use Roots Hall as an example because apart from charity matches I have never seen us play anywhere else.
So can anyone remember a visiting player scoring a hat-trick against us?
I will start with the following match:-
January 8th.1977. F.A.Cup 3rd.Round. Southend United 0, Chester 4 (Ian Edwards 3, Ian Howat)
I assume you are only looking at home games as if we included away matches there would be too many:sad:

I stand corrected on that one then, my memory of it was quite hazy anyway. And yes, I remember Jack Sampson, another one of those Premier League loanees who did nothing for us.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have this vague recollection that a 19 year old Alan "Sniffer" Clarke of Leeds and England fame scored all 3 for Walsall back in a 5-3 win for us in February 1966. Anyone else recall that because I can't find anything on line to prove it.
Have just been given the following information from a good friend of mine which was obtained from the Soccer Star magazine from 1966.
Southend United 5, Bentley, Bradbury, Ray Smith, Firmani & Atthey(O.G). Walsall 3, Alan Clarke(2), Taylor. (Att.6,310).
He also gave me the following information regarding players scoring a hat-trick at Roots Hall, ironically both players ended up with a future connection to Southend United Stuart Brace scored a hat-trick for Grimsby Town at Roots Hall on the 25th.August 1969. Stuart Brace along with Dave Worthington joined Southend United in 1973 from Grimsby Town.
Billy Jennings(scout & agent)also scored a hat-trick for Watford at Roots Hall on the 31st.August 1973.
This means that at least three Watford players have scored hat-tricks over the years at Roots Hall.

A Simon Sturridge hat-trick for Stoke City against us at Roots Hall in 1995. This was the only time I can remember the official man of the match award being given to an opposition player.

I remember Stuart Brace hatrick for Grimsby. Stuart was one of the best lower league strikers. Realyy pleased when we managed to sign him.

A Simon Sturridge hat-trick for Stoke City against us at Roots Hall in 1995. This was the only time I can remember the official man of the match award being given to an opposition player.

He was quality that day. Career never kicked in due to injuries. Must be a Sturridge thing.

On oppo MOTM I recall Mike Stowell getting one for Wolves at home.

Sampson's goal was a terrific shot from distance iirc.

Best thing he ever did in games for or against us.

He was another loanee who looked superb on his debut with his brief cameo at Northampton but, like many others, flattered to deceive.

I remember Stuart Brace hatrick for Grimsby. Stuart was one of the best lower league strikers. Realyy pleased when we managed to sign him.

Did we not sign him,just after King Billy Best left us??
As a sort off replacement...which he had no chance of doing.You could have put in Dennis Law,but still would never been as good.
Stuart Brace was a good player,but ALWAYS will be Grimsby,like was it Ohara??was always Brentford,Les Bradd ,Notts county etc,etc

Walsall players have a habit of scoring hattricks against us, I've seen three IIRC.

Oztumer as has been discussed, Demontagnac in a 5-2 pasting at their place in 2008ish, also Roger Boli also at the Bescot in 97/98.

Back