• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
There will be a lot of names in your all-time XI who write themselves in. For example those of us who were lucky enough to see Chrissy Powell wiggle it for us in his playing days :Worthy: are almost certainly going to be including him at left-back in their all-time XI.

But figuring out the second best left-back to have played for us is a lot trickier than just picking the guy who went onto play for England.

So what is your Southend United All-time 2nd XI? Who are the second best you've seen in their position? You can't include anyone from your 1st XI.

And can people guess your 1st XI from your 2nd XI?

My attempt* at a 2nd XI:

Sammy
Francis Roget Dervite N. Jones
Ling K. Jones Bailey Gower
Angell Benjamin

*I may have to change this when people list theirs and I realise who I have forgotten.

Flahavan
Jupp Clark Dervite Coker
Gower Sussex Maher Ling
Eastwood Crown

subs: Royce, Smith (J), JCR, Angell, Cort, Bentley, Corr

Flahavan
Jupp Clark Dervite Coker
Gower Sussex Maher Ling
Eastwood Crown

subs: Royce, Smith (J), JCR, Angell, Cort, Bentley, Corr

Some controversial choices there but would your 1st XI be:

Sammy
Austin Prior Barrett Powell
Ansah Butler Marsh Otto
Cadette Collymore

First 11
Cawston
Austin Cusack Moody Powell
Taylor Pountney Marsh Otto
Eastwood Collymore

2nd 11
Sammy
Stead Barratt Clark Edinburgh
Ansah Butler Martin Tilson
Angell Best

3rd 11
Royce
Jupp Prior Cort Jones N
Gower Jones K Maher Morris
Cadette Garner

Oh if we're doing 3rd Xi

Royce
Francis Cort Edwards Edinburgh
Bentley Smith J Martin D Tilson
Corr Angell

subs: Benjamin, Westley, Constantine, JCR, Rawle, Bentley (GK)

Oh if we're doing 3rd Xi

Royce
Francis Cort Edwards Edinburgh
Bentley Smith J Martin D Tilson
Corr Angell

subs: Benjamin, Westley, Constantine, JCR, Rawle, Bentley (GK)
Who is going to come up first with a 4th Xi .:winking:

4th Xi

Dan Bentley
Hunt Westley Butters Jones N
JCR Jones K Cornwall Hall
Benjamin Constantine

subs: Donut, White, Hails, Whelan, Barnard, Guttridge, Oxley (GK)

Last edited:
Hard for me to name either a best x1 or second best xi as i havent seen so many of these players you have named play, but i would definitely have my 3 heroes of the past in either one of them ,thats McCrory ,Hollis and Threadgold .:smile::smile:

That says a lot when Clohessey , an average 4th tier Right back , gets in in the top 5

I think Clohessy, a former player of the year, was better than that - some of his link up play down the right was lovely - but I must admit I'd forgotten about our one time record signing Gary Poole (the version where he tried, rather than the trying version).

I think Clohessy, a former player of the year, was better than that - some of his link up play down the right was lovely - but I must admit I'd forgotten about our one time record signing Gary Poole (the version where he tried, rather than the trying version).

Mark Beard was a RB and a former player of the year, so that's not a major recommendation

Jeez, you will mention Mark Hone soon.

Back