• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 3-0 Southampton U21s

A well spent £6; some good showing by the youths; especially Dru and Elvis (should he have that as his "name" on the back of his shirt?). McCoulsky showed more resolve and willingness than I have seen before and ought to have scored but put his efforts off target - just!
Reasonable game from Hyem, slightly less side side back than Dieng or Mantom; with our current centre midfielders it is a holding partner for Dru that is required and he might be the one to best play that position (as Tims did).
Odd subs, too negative and too late as we needs goals goals and goals. Indeed watching and listening to CP in the first half he was push and attack etc; but in the 2nd he was quieter and less aggressive (except asking "please take the throws Kyp"): is this personna? SO maybe he does need to consider his own performance after 45 minutes on & does it rub off on the squad?

Hyam looked his tidy self. He wont excite many of you because he is a cross between Mantom and Josh Wright. Busy, defensive, skilful in tight positions but don't expect many goals.

He reminded me much more of Timlin - the same ability to put a foot in and stop them attacking. Neither Mantom or Wright are/were much good at that. For me, it's what we've really missed in midfield.

You have to give the lads credit despite the opposition. It was a very easy win and bar the 1st 5 mins where it was scrappy, we were in total control. Elvis gets MOTM for me and notable mentions for Dru and Kyps. McCoulsky put himself about and looked a lot stronger, but that is hardly surprising against U21s. The 2 centre backs really allowed the full backs to play and get forward, as did Dru. Nobody had a bad game, poor opposition but you can only beat what is front of you.

He reminded me much more of Timlin - the same ability to put a foot in and stop them attacking. Neither Mantom or Wright are/were much good at that. For me, it's what we've really missed in midfield.

He is sharper than Timlin so he can save himself a 50/50 as he has already won the ball.

Likewise Manton reads the game well and is already where the loose ball falls.

The problem with a CM’s is do they have a dangerous ball between them . Dieng came on last night already in his last 20 minute coast mode. A number of times he received the ball in space but rather than turn and look to hurt, he rolled a ‘cowards’ ball back to his defence. You are 3-0 up against under 21’s.... If you won’t take risk then, when will you ever.

Nice win in front of less than a thousand fans.

Disappointing second half once again with there only being a couple of shots on target.

Beginning to think CP gets out thought tactically at halftime.

If I was Mc Goalski I would be very frustrated. Played lone role up front as a target man which is not playing to his strengths imo which is shame. Never had one clear chance created for him all game.

Agree with the post above, why the hell we didn't go for it whilst being 3-0 up is beyond me. 4-5-1 against an already beaten under 21 side is a joke!

Heard that there were three scouts attending to watch Dru tonight!

Popped iFollow on for it last night as worked late. The taking the foot off the gas was probably due to the game already being well won, and the small matter of an important league game in three days' time. Great work by the team and management last night, good balanced team selection, get the game won early, and far more clinical. Thought Southampton should be given some credit for their second half performance which probably played a part in there being no further goals, but yeah we took our foot off and quite rightly so.

I wasn't in the least bit bothered by the second half. This was a game to win and avoid further injuries, nothing more. Anyone who expected more should probably know better. As far as priorities go, this competition is a distant third at the moment.

Great to see Kelman given some minutes, very good management by CP who did the same with Hutchinson in the Cambridge game, rewarding a young player with a debut. People will always ask about Wabo but I gather his attitude is standing in his way and that is not something that Powell tolerates.

Thought McCoulsky did very well first half but we stopped sliding the balls into the channels (or rather Southampton stopped us doing it) in the second half and he looked very isolated. Game was won by then so no biggie, good for him to get 90 minutes under his belt.

BBC Essex (dreadful, dreadful commentary last night, must have got players' names wrong 30 or 40 times) mentioned Neil Harris was there.

BBC Essex (dreadful, dreadful commentary last night, must have got players' names wrong 30 or 40 times) mentioned Neil Harris was there.

Of course Micky G and the scoreboard writer also got the 2nd goal scorer wrong - definitely Harry Kyp's goal - a good rebound follow up from McLaughlin's original shot.

Good all round performance from all the players eg couldn’t fault Bishop in goal,steady stuff from Hyam,fantastic goal by Elvis.Clear man -of -match showing by Taylor (why on earth didn’t he play on Saturday?) Moore.
But again I don’t understand our manager.3-0 up at ht against demoralised youngsters,needing 2 more goals to get a Home draw,I’d have brought on Cox-for Kightly with Bunn playing wider-and I’m sure he and McCoulsky would have filled their boots and been nicely ready to face stiffer Blackpool opposition on Saturday.

Luton?

He does like a trip to RH. Looks to be carrying a few long term injuries.

Cracking game. I don't care much for all this cup talk although I understand people's feelings, I just like watching the game, irrelevant what we play for.
Great goal by Elvis and also McCoalsky finding his feet again, Moore playing a great game and of course Kel's on a debut. Nathan did a great job in regards to rallying the lads giving lots of support from the net end and oh my the ball coming off the roof into SCP's hands said it all when he momentarily froze with a cheesy grin showing how much he was enjoying the evening.
:Worthy:

Holding it at 3-0 was on purpose I think. Wouldn't surprise me if lads were told at half time to play a bit safe in last 45, better to win and get an away game than to mess it up and let the U21's back in. Great team effort. That's how to play AS A TEAM :Clap:

Watch out Blackpool ...... Here we come #COYB

Any win is a good win. I only got to listen to the commentary but in parts it sounded comfortable. The rub for me was in the team selection. Taylor Moore and Dru should have been given the night off. We risked the well being of two of our key players that we are going to depend on when it comes to league survival/aspiration. If it meant us losing then thats just too bad. If I want a day out at Wembley it would be for the play-off final and not the Chuckaway trophy. Would I like a season of struggling just to lift the tinpot cup? No.

I am pleased the team did well, and was very happy for Elvis in particular, but I don't want to see us take these unnecessary risks again.

I’d get used to these types of risks if I were you....as I believe the Checkatrade will take on added importance from hereonin.

I’d be very surprised if the coaching staff haven’t had a re-evaluation discussion on the seasons objectives and what constitutes a successful one....

I would imagine that playoff / promotion being considered successful, alongside a small FA cup run and reducing the squad average age, hasn’t been replaced by a comfortable mid table finish whilst blooding some younger players, an FA cup 3/4th round appearance and a Checkatrade Semi / final appearance.....

I don’t think play offs will feature much in their discussions until February / March when they can see just how realistic it could be...more a case of staying in touch alongside some cup success for now.....

Interesting to see people still expect us to push for the playoffs given our decimated squad. Personally I'd be delighted with 12th. Avoiding the drop has to be the priority.

I was out, so logged on late to i-follow (and used my free voucher code from the Colchester game), so we were already a goal up.

I then missed the 2nd goal as I was getting a drink from the kitchen, but saw the 3rd.

Sat back thinking, great, we only need one more for a home tie (I think, as that would have made both goal differences +4) and I assumed that as we had beaten Cambridge we would top the group?

So in the end a bit frustrated that we didnt push on at all after going 3-0 up. I can only remember a couple of half chances in the last 60 minutes of the game, when the prize for actually scoring was quite big.

Understand the Hyam sub, as there was no way he was going to last 90 mins. Dru was on a different planet to all the Southampton players (that probably earn more than him!), but he did fanny about with it once just outside our box and lose the ball. Against league opposition that could of been costly.

Elvis did well, as did Kprianou, but the oppostion were terrible. Just goes to show the gulf between under 21/youth football and league one. (For all you Wabo lovers)

I honestly don't think that sitting back in a game that's not a high priority when you're 3-0 up is that big a deal.
Sitting back when you're 1-0 up in a more important game is another matter!

I’d get used to these types of risks if I were you....as I believe the Checkatrade will take on added importance from hereonin.

I’d be very surprised if the coaching staff haven’t had a re-evaluation discussion on the seasons objectives and what constitutes a successful one....

I would imagine that playoff / promotion being considered successful, alongside a small FA cup run and reducing the squad average age, hasn’t been replaced by a comfortable mid table finish whilst blooding some younger players, an FA cup 3/4th round appearance and a Checkatrade Semi / final appearance.....

I don’t think play offs will feature much in their discussions until February / March when they can see just how realistic it could be...more a case of staying in touch alongside some cup success for now.....

I agree about the reevaluation but whatever the club decides as priority the league has always got to come first. If we had Dru or Taylor Moore injured, and our recent luck with injuries is ****e, how would we fair for the rest of the season. Get the points on the board for survival in this league and then worry about whatever other competitions we may or may not be involved in.

Back