• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Bond appointed - Confirmed

Not much recent experience apart from being Harry no2 everywhere h has been.
Can’t imagine he’d have much knowledge of our division and more so league 2.
He’s got till the end of season or so it’s been reported.
For me the wrong man.

Can I ask why you think knowledge of our division is required for the next 6 games?

Big Sam on Talk Sport says we should never have sacked PB? Maybe he has a point?

Nope. Brown saddling us with highly paid oldies on long contracts is a big part of the reason we're in this mess. Looking through this wonderful team of ours on Saturday, there's not too many that he didn't bring in.

I’d prefer Daniel Craig. Get it? Bond? James Bond? Forget it. Don’t worry about it.

This is alright I suppose, better than Kev n Dunc who need to be back at developing our cash cows.

I like his name.
I like his tracksuit.
I like that he’s mates with Harry’s Redknapp so he should be able to make a good Jam Rolly Polly.

What’s not to like?

I assume Ron decided he didn't want to make a hurried decision & is determined to get permanent appointment right- even if that means L2 next year. Brave and in some ways commendable- not sure everyone would agree with it.

Kevin Bond very good no. 2 at top level, and a very good coach (think McLaren). Do we need top coaching or a top motivator/manager for the remaining games (I would have thought the latter).

On the other hand we know Harry leaned heavily on a no. 2 and he must come with some strong recommendations- otherwise why not just leave as is (unless to shield RD & KM from flack if we do go down as they have long term futures at club).

This is probably Kevin Bond's big chance/last chance (although he is 62 not 82!!) at management. So his motivation should be very high- iI am sure he will show everything at it and he and the team deserve total support.

Ron may also be very keen to bring in band build a top coaching set up to get the best out of the players/U23s/youths etc. KB might also be the person to have around for that.

And of course explains why Kevin Keen is still around.

This does seem to be like an appointment for breathing space. I'm not sure too many people would fancy a relegation on their CV. Maybe Ron has his new man lined up to take over in the summer and wants someone with experience to try and work a miracle to save us.

Of course the players won't know whether they are coming or going, and who knows who will make the decisions on the out of contract players (although I expect they will all be released).

Makes you wonder whether there’s more to this than we are currently aware of, doesn’t it?

The funny thing about applicants is that no business is ever short of them. The ones you’d really want, especially looking at this thread as evidence, are likely currently locked under contract or not willing to commit to what Ron might be asking them to (ie just six games).

My whelm hasn’t been over’d or under’d yet. I’ll judge based on the team’s organisation and effort in the next couple of games.

The spectre of relegation is hanging over us but the sky hasn’t fallen in yet.

I'm actually disgusted by this appointment. This is a man who was heavily implicated in the 'football bungs' scandals of a few years ago, yet never took the BBC or any other Media to the libel courts (dropped his case) and there are clearly a lot of questions over his past conduct. I wouldn't want to be associated with anyone like that and its a serious error of judgement by the Chairman.
I really feel like asking for my money back on next seasons Season Card - preferably not in cash in a brown envelope! Joking aside, this appointment is bad on so many levels and sends so many negative messages about so much that's wrong in football.

Over the past 12 games, I would have been happy with that.

Maybe Ron didn't want to take a chance with a long term manager until the summer.

I don't have an opinion on the guy; I'll wait to see how he performs before making a judgement

Oh I agree, just putting it out there why people are non-plussed.

This could turn out to be quite funny, Bond and Redknapp are even more dubious characters than Ron, it's like watching Hannibal Lecter inviting Predator to a dinner party.

On the football side Bond doesn't have a bad record.

It’s all very negative on here! Last thing Ron Martin wants is relegation and has obviously appointed him for a reason. From what I have a read he has obviously worked with some big clubs and is a great coach. Instead of moaning why not see what happens on the pitch and save your judgements for then?

So Ron, let me work this out...

We had to sack Powell, as staying in this league was of great significance to us, both commercially and financially.

Ok, I disagree, but I’m with you so far. Who’s the replacement?

Well, we’ve thought outside of the box & gone for an inexperienced guy, who’s only claim to fame is being Harry Redknapp’s carer.

Eh?

So the importance of us staying in this league, is now being handed to a man who has very few positives to his name?

Yeah but, Chris Powell would have taken us down. And he gave himself & the team the Monday off, and we can’t be having that.

But is there a risk, that we’ve just gone from the frying pan into the fire, both on a short term, and long term basis?

4-4-2

Don’t you think the appointment should have been someone of a slightly better pedigree, in order to try and salvage our Lg1 status, considering it’s the very reason Powell - a man with a decent calibre - was sacked, as he was deemed rubbish?

Wabo up front with Cox

Right. Thanks Ron

Did I mention season ticket prices are frozen?

Good luck to him. No one amazing was ever gonna take the job for 6 games, especially with this lot who look destined for league 2.
All we can hope for is a fresh pair of eyes that can see something in the group that might work, motivate them and then pull a rabbit out of the hat and save us from relegation.

Low expectations is a good place to be right now. We all think we are going down anyway.. so if he does turn it around everyone is a winner.

Would love to hear from anyone who gets to B&L today to witness the players meeting and being coached by the new management team.

Maybe some of the more favoured options didn't want to commit because they think they are better than League 2 and there may be more opportunities for them when the season ends.

Maybe a preferred candidate isn't available until then end of the season.

Bond ( assisting Harry) had helped keep Birmingham up in 2016/17 winning their last two games after Birmingham had won just 1 in 14.

We need someone who can organise the players we have available into a side that 1) doesn't get beaten and 2) might win a couple of games.

Back