• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Peterborough United

It was 2 minutes of madness that was the was the difference although in truth they had other chances and looked more dangerous. I understand Bond being defensive, but you end up just inviting trouble. We tried to play our way out and there were periods, mainly in the second half of the 1st half where we looked slick, but unfortunately no end product. Several players had their moments, notably Goodship, Lennon, Hamilton and I thought Mantom the latter worked his socks off.

SOUTHEND United’s shocking start to the season continued with a 2-0 defeat against Peterborough United at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

I thought there was plenty of progressions today, especially from the Lincoln game. Individually some players were very good, as a team not so much. We played some excellent football tonight tbf, good passing with it all culminating in a chance which Goodship put just wide.

I don’t enjoy losing, but I saw some positive signs tonight

We failed to have a single shot on target, at home. We can play pretty football all we like but without any end product it’s utterly pointless. We’ve lost four games, scored one goal.. which was an own goal and just look like a team heading in one direction. I wish I shared some of the optimism that plenty have on here but I just can’t see where a goal, let alone a win is coming from.

Elvis
JW
Lennon
Ralph
Hamilton
Goodship

All really impressive. The rest not so much.

Shaughnessy at fault for at least 1, if not both, seems slow and a bag of nerves at times. He’s a no nonsense type defender, but when he’s asked to play as a ball playing CB, I wonder if that effects it

it was all quite neat and balanced, but boring and slow in the first half with just the one half chance that their gk came out very fast to snuff out.
Second half started same then bang bang and it is goodnight.
Too slow, too predictable, lack of confidence, poor luck, decision making erring always on the safe with little thrust. Is that 5 hits on woodwork for us now and not a sniff at a deflection/rebound in?
KB looked moribund and out of it once the goals went in, little leadership on or off field.
Hamilton gets my m of m 6 rating, followed by Elvis, everyone else 5.

Elvis
JW
Lennon
Ralph
Hamilton
Goodship

Shaughnessy at fault for at least 1, if not both, seems slow and a bag of nerves at times. He’s a no nonsense type defender, but when he’s asked to play as a ball playing CB, I wonder if that effects it

JW was at fault for both goals.....I’m not digging him, I like him, I’m just stating what happened....

Elvis
JW
Lennon
Ralph
Hamilton
Goodship

Agreed, on the whole. Shaughnessy is either not the answer or badly off form. He had a bit of a mare tonight.

Elvis
JW
Lennon
Ralph
Hamilton
Goodship

JW wasn't impressive; way too slow and at fault for their second. Elvis had more possession when he went to RB that he did in midfield.

JW was at fault for both goals.....I’m not digging him, I like him, I’m just stating what happened....

Toney drifted off of Shaughnessy for the 2nd, and Eisa got in behind Shaughnessy for the 1st.

Agree JW should have stopped the cross, but once it comes in we have to do better

Toney drifted off of Shaughnessy for the 2nd, and Eisa got in behind Shaughnessy for the 1st.

Agree JW should have stopped the cross, but once it comes in we have to do better

Yep agree with that but stop at source is first rule of defending crosses and he was so far out of position toney had space to pull away with JW twenty yards higher up the pitch for second

We will be fine. There is so much positive to take away from that game, despite the drop off in performance when they scored. That’s about confidence and will come when we are rewarded for our fine play one day very soon.

We haven’t had a shot on target

I'm all for trying to play out from the back, at this level though there needs to be a mix, long balls are allowed occasionally!

Bond seem's to think he's managing a Prem side, it's all very well dominating possession, but when it's sideways, backwards crab ball, anyone can do that, it's goals that win games and we just don't look like scoring.

It takes so long to pass the half way line, the opposition's defense is organised and we hit a brick wall. Or inevitably someone's made a mistake (Milligan was culpable a number of times today). What's wrong with a quick long ball counter attack?

These tactics don't work, we had zero shots on target against another team without a win. Over four games we've scored one goal (against ten men), and conceded 10. If that's not a wake up call to Bond that his system's failing, them he deserves the metaphorical bullet.

Last edited:
Watched on iFollow from deepest Dorset

Looked second best from outset, formation with five at back seems to confuse the players who are seemingly not clever enough to work out what to do. This leads to bad marking which ended up costig us both goals.

It stems from the goalie - Bishop is clearly under instruction to pass out from the back but is nervous and never picks out a pass quick enough - the opposition sense this and press up

Shaughnessy came to us with rave reviews but he takes no responsibility and instills panic at the back. Lennon and White either side stand off too much aswell - get involved!

Milligan as a result comes far too deep and ends up spreading the ball backwards

Ralph looks shy. Elvis got involved loads but is not good enough to continually go for it and his crosses tonight were woeful so as most attacks came from him it all then just fizzled out

Hamilton looked decent in the first half, especially in our good spell during the last 10 mins of the first half, but tired cosiderably as the game wore on - Bond should have pre-empted this and subbed him rather than the straight swap of Blackman for Ralph which did nothing

Mantom is not a wide player. Everyone knows that - bar Bond. Put Sam in the middle or leave him out, be fair to the lad

Cox huffed and puffed, came deep to get the ball in the first half but soon became knackered and got no supply

Goodship looked ok for 10 mins but missed two very good chances. His confidence mus be sapping

Subs were all a non event, none made any impact

The team look unfit and do not look mentally capable of playing anything other than 4-4-2.

Bond needs to whip them up and stick to a basic 4-4-2 that everyone can understand, pick the fittest and get the energy level much higher. Basic stuff - not rocket science. If he can't do that then he should go

On the plus side:

- I predicted no one scoring for us in Pete's Prediction League
- I was up for going to Wycombe on Saturday but after watching that I've no intention of wasting time and money I can ill afford for what in all liklihood will be a stuffing so I'll pop round the corner to the beach instead and listen to the cricket in the sun with a beer or two and the waves lapping gently in the background

Oh well

Last edited:
For whatever reasons we lost this was not one of them. They weren’t a high line, they didn’t get in behind us and Lennon is rapid.
Yeah Lennon was good tonight
Hamilton excellent 1st half...tired 2nd
Cox up top on his own is just basic nonsense
Complete break down for the 1nd goal
The 1st goal was a fantastic cross I was right behind him as he curled that in...good finish.
There was also a 20 minute spell of awful play from us in the 1st half. But we finished the 1st half so well and if Goodship had of scored one of his chances then it's a different game. But unfortunately the facts speak for themselves.
We can barely get a shot on target let alone score a goal. We are bottom of the league.
Interesting times ahead

Back