• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wycombe Wanderers 4-3 Southend United (L)

To be fair everyones entitled to an opinion and football is an emotive subject but I am confident in his talent and nothing we have not heard before. It is hard to read such things but thats the game were in. He will show his talent when he gets chance so no problem but thanks
Everyones entitled to their opinion so no hard feelings

Thanks Tony, I hope you realise that I wasn't saying Layton isn't good enough, just that he hasn't done enough on his sub apps to be given a start.

As I said previously, give him 90 mins on Tuesday, if he performs, he'll be gaurenteed a start on Saturday!

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, I hope you realise that I wasn't saying Layton isn't good enough, just that he hasn't done enough on his sub apps to be given a start.

As I said previously, give him 90 mins on Tuesday, if he performs, he'll be guarenteed a start on Saturday! ?
Hope he gets a start Saturday cos its a 350 mile round trip and I got tickets and thats fine no offence taken it is hard to prove yourself from 110 minutes in 4 games.

Hope he gets a start Saturday cos its a 350 mile round trip and I got tickets and thats fine no offence taken it is hard to prove yourself from 110 minutes in 4 games.

Thanks mate, TBF it's about time he was given 90 mins, I can't think of anyone else who hasn't been given the chance?!

Just seen the highlights, so now fair to comment. My mate didn't see those because they didn't happen. Watch again in slow mo, the 2 shots in question, the ball hits the bar and the post directly, so he didn't save them. He nearly got a hand to both, but didn't.
The own goal he had absolutely no chance. Their 2nd goal he went straight to ground making it easy to score. The 4th he hugged the near post making a huge target to aim for in the other corner. I know people are protective of a young player, I get that and have done it myself, but things are desperate. I'm just saying how I see it.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...southend-united/11793450/wycombe-4-3-southend
The shot he pushed onto the post isn’t on the highlights? The one on the highlights that hits the post is a shot from distance. I clearly said he pushed a shot from inside the area onto the post. They’re different shots, the post can be hit more than once in a game. So your mate did miss that shot and it did happen. Just because it’s not on a 2 minute highlight clip doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

The one that hit the bar Bishop got a feint touch on it, I saw it with my own eyes, it was right in front of me. I don’t care how many times you’ve slow mo’d some low quality footage.

You’re really grasping at straws if you’re attaching the blame to Bishop for the second goal. The striker slides in between Shaughnessy and Lennon with ease, how can they allow him that much space? Bishop is then faced with a one on one with a striker who is 12 yards out, how is it realistic to expect him to save that?

The 4th goal is arguably the most saveable, but it goes through about 8 bodies on the way in and was a fairly powerful shot, hardly fair to blame Bishop for that one either.

If you think Bishop is the problem you’re wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with our defence. We allowed them 21 shots at goal, we fail to close players down and players are left unmarked far too often. I’m not sure if it’s down to the players or the system but the defence isn’t good enough.

You’re not saying it how you’re seeing it, you’re saying it how you want to see it. You weren’t at the game and hadn’t seen any highlights yet had already made your mind up that it was all Bishop’s fault.

Last edited:
You’re really grasping at straws if you’re attaching the blame to Bishop for the second goal. The striker slides in between Shaughnessy and Lennon with ease, how can they allow him that much space? Bishop is then faced with a one on one with a striker who is 12 yards out, how is it realistic to expect him to save that?

The 4th goal is arguably the most saveable, .

You’re not saying it how you’re seeing it, you’re saying it how you want to see it. You weren’t at the game and hadn’t seen any highlights yet had already made your mind up that it was all Bishop’s fault.

Their 2nd goal he has no chance of saving it as he went to ground before the shot, allowing the attacker to place it where he wants. If he stayed up strong and big, then he is harder to beat and can actually throw an arm at the ball after the shot is made, giving him a chance to save it.

The 4th goal you've gone from no chance, to arguably a chance of saving it. I suspect you mean their 3rd goal. I didn't even mention that one. Their last goal he is hugging the post, leaving a massive target. He could hardly miss. Have a look. How can you dismiss that one?

I don't want to see this at all, we need Southend to win. I suspected young Bish could have done better, after seeing the previous goals this season. Like I said, somethings wrong if almost every shot on target is going in past our young goalie. The defence is as much to blame, but I would expect our goalie to get a hand to a few of those shots that went in. I would be amazed if a bigger, better more experienced keeper wouldn't have saved at least one of those 4, and a few of the other goals this season. In which case, we have the wrong keeper in goal.

Watched on iFollow sans commentary thanks to iFollow having the commentary 15 seconds ahead of the video.

First, the positives.

It looks like Bond has decided to ditch the playing out from the back and passing back and forth across the back which meant we cleared the ball a lot better than previous games and it shows that perhaps Bond is open to changing his tactics to fit the players he has.

A first goal for Goodship which will give him a lot of confidence. Well taken goal from a good build up with Hamilton.

Stephen Humphrys scoring two great goals and it looks like Bond's words have lit a fire under him as he looked to be a man on a mission.

Coming out for the second half and playing positively. I was expecting us to sit back and defend the lead but the first few minutes of the second half we attacked and got what should have been the crucial goal to give us a two goal buffer.

Now, the negatives.

I have never seen so many players slipping over at crucial times in games, especially in defence. Wycombe didn't seem to have a problem so either we don't have boots that do their job or a lot of our players have middle-ear infections. The number of times this opened up chances for Wycombe to score was significant but luckily they never really capitalised on them. I would have thought that a change of boots at half time might have been in order but apparently not.

Players going to ground in tackles. So many times our players dived into challenges needlessly while Wycombe kept their feet and moved past. It was similar to how I defend when playing FIFA, people diving all over the place while a single payer waltzes past and scores.

Our players being outbodied in 50-50 situations. So many times we were either out-positioned or too easily rolled off the ball in these situations. Few of our players seem to have the intelligence or ability to position themselves to advantage.

Our defence. We seemed to cope OK with the balls coming in aerially but as soon as Wycombe got the ball on the ground we were exposed time and time again. We looked slow with regards pace but also reaction time. Add to this we seemed unwilling or unable to mark players in the box or track runners coming to the box. On one occasion Ralph was tracking a player but had to then go out to close down the player about to cross into the box, he looked behind him and motioned to Shaughnessy to mark the other player but Shaughnessy and the rest of the defence had run off to the far post together leaving the goal open for the player coming in from midfield. Luckily, on this occasion, the player missed the shot. However, the last two goals conceded followed a similar pattern as did a lot of Wycombe's best chances.

After going 3-1 up we dropped very deep and looked to be wanting to hold out for the win rather than pressing forward and putting Wycombe under pressure. This meant we were pinned down in our own half for the majority of the second half. With our defence as it is, this was never going to be a good plan.

Overall, I don't think Bond can be blamed for the result. He changed his tactics by stopping the playing out from the back and passing around the back half which shows he is refining his tactics as he goes which shows he may not be as stubborn as he seemed in previous games. He is also correct in saying that our defence is a shambles and the reason for us being where we are at the moment.

As manager, it is up to him to work on fixing the problems but a lot of the problems seem to be player-related. Either they are not good enough or are not working hard enough as a defensive unit. Until this is sorted we aren't going to have much joy this season. A lot of the issues seem very basic which is concerning for professional players in League 1. Man-marking, tracking players running into the box, keeping your feet and using your body to get the advantage in 50-50 situations. I think Bond needs to strip things back and work on these things if we are going to stop shipping goals like we have.

I don't want to spoil the lynching party but there is a theory that Humprhys had a calf strain (this seasons fashionable injury). Or at least showing signs of one.

Wouldn't any manger have taken off Humphrys in the same situation?

Please stop this positivity. Yes we scored 3 goals, but two of them were out of nothing from 25 yards. On another day, they could and probably would have gone wide or over the bar, or been saved.

We could of lost quite comfortably otherwise. To allow 21 attempts at goal is very very poor and no offence, this was against Wycombe ffs.

Yes they have had a good start, but will be mid table at best.

Very concerned that we aren’t going to be cut adrift in 3 or 4 games time and even a good run won’t get us out of the bottom 4.

All I know is he wants to do right by the club and would love to be the one to bring the x factor (KBs words) I honestly believe hes not had the chance to shine yet but can understand the scepticism just give him a chance and you will see. I am just as frustrated as you all I want to see him and the club do well too
We're not the ones that need convincing Tony.

My mates and I have been shocked that he hasn't actually started yet. Kind of begs the question "Why bring him in?".

Yet another baffling decision by our manager.

As manager, it is up to him to work on fixing the problems but a lot of the problems seem to be player-related. Either they are not good enough or are not working hard enough as a defensive unit. Until this is sorted we aren't going to have much joy this season. A lot of the issues seem very basic which is concerning for professional players in League 1. Man-marking, tracking players running into the box, keeping your feet and using your body to get the advantage in 50-50 situations. I think Bond needs to strip things back and work on these things if we are going to stop shipping goals like we have.

Bingo.

Those that were there, in the posting majority, rate Bish as doing okay to good.
For me the WW gk was really poor, slow to get down and generally reacted too late, we should have peppered him with shots but did any midfielder take just 1 on?
Mantom was the biggest culprit of the side side side back route when at times he had acres in front of him and White got into hoof ball mode after 60 minutes play.
All the back line, (and middies) decided after we went to 3-1 that defending was the way, especially Alamo stuff- credit to Shaunhessey he can do a good out of the ground clearance!
Little leadership on the field again.
And BOND just stood there, arms crossed and took off our 3 better players, Hump may have had a niggle, Elvis maybe was injured, he took a bad (not a foul? clout to the ankle) but Goodship seemed okay.
The subs were wrong, and in wrong order.
Ndukwa for Elvis okay BUT Bond took off Goodship first.
Kiernon should have come on for White or the tired Hamilton, or the carded and further warned Lennon.
If Hump was injured then Theo is an okay choice, he certainly chased lost causes 100%.

Each game under Bond decreases my life expectancy a little more. Think it’s time to thank him for last season and sack him. Defensively shambolic.

More...

I needed to have a sleep and reflect before posting here as I was quite angry after the game yesterday.

There were some positives yesterday:
  • Bond has abandoned the tactic of playing out from the back (which was always a disaster waiting to happen!)
  • We started by playing 2 up front and not sticking Goodship out on the left. Goodship responds by scoring the first goal
  • Humphrys started the game, and the striker who was clearly the most in-form during the pre-season friendlies responds by scoring two excellent goals
Where it went wrong yesterday were the in-game changes during the second half. Reverting back to one up front after the third goal and pushing Goodship out wide again was clearly a tactic that has failed all season so far so why try it again?

Humphrys had been causing them all kinds of problems all afternoon and was on a hat-trick so would give his all for the cause. He may have been tiring, but so were their defenders.

When Goodship went off, surely the striker to bring on was Cox, who naturally drops back to help out the midfield and has good "game management" tactics too.

Hamilton, who was excellent against Peterborough, was very quiet yesterday and was tiring too - he was the player that needed changing - although I don't rate him, Hyam was the man to bring on. Defensive minded and gets stuck in.

Bringing Blackman on was the most baffling decision of the lot - when I saw him stripped and ready to come on I assumed it was for Ralph who may have picked up a knock, or it could have been for White who had just had a long period of treatment. Instead it was for Elvis, who seemed fine and involved moving Ndukwu to the right. The change that should have happened here was to bring on Kiernan as an additional central defender or defensive midfielder - more height in the box for all the long balls Wycombe were aiming at Akinfenwa who was trying to bully White and Lennon.

Yes, the players on the pitch should have managed the 3-1 lead more effectively, but Bond should have helped by putting the right players on the pitch to manage the game. It was crying out for experienced heads, not young kids.

I think he was the wrong appointment and that is being clearly shown in his experimental sides and tactics, poor thought processes during games, dreadful man management, disastrous media presence and no rapport with the fans.

If Ron had not been on holiday, I think the decision may have been made sooner, but I cannot see Bond lasting beyond 10 league games and hope there is some kind of clause in his contract (as has been rumoured) that will get us out of this mess relatively cheaply.

Ok so any decent scout that watch us play know that our weakness is not being able to sustain any pressure from 60 mins onwards .
This means oppositions know they can pump balls long in the latter stages of a game and they will get success .
Even with 2 mins to go scouts will report that we sit deeper and deeper inviting teams to attack us .
It all becomes manic and players diving in and making rash decisions means we are vulnerable to conceding bizarre and sloppy goals

So in short as long as oppositions are not 3-0 and want to take a chance there is a good chance they can get something from the last 10 mins

old saying goalkeeper is only as good as defence in front of him that's problem we have now

Its one that's not true though. However a decent defence, including cutting out cheap crosses would certainly help young Bish. The defending out wide for their 3rd yesterday was truly shocking......Two of ours against one Wycombe player who is heading towards his own goal with no options in the 90th minute.....Have a close look at what happens next.

Bonds biggest mistake has been dropping Oxley......Of course most fans wanted that and won't own up to it.

Very rare for me to find fault with a young player but I didn't want Bish playing at Lincoln.
His confidence took a knock last season and this has just made it worse.......Remember in his first couple of games last season when he charged out from his near post and narrowed the angle. Made a great couple of blocks doing that. As the 4th goal proved he no longer does that and far to many go through him or under him etc.

Wycombe got a tad lucky with their second goal but Bish going down early and to his left was school boy stuff. It was on their guys left foot. So a keeper has to cover more of his right hand post, instead he made it easier.

So does Bond now make things worse by continuing with Bish or bring back the Ox. It seems the manger, the fans and judging by the players unprofessional reaction to Blackpools first goal, that Ox doesn't have to many friends.......Bond is now in a no win situation......In so many ways.

Last edited:
Totally agree I believe the Ox has much more presence, and size ,offers greater experience , and leadership, has an enormous kick if needs be, yes he has the odd fault but surely need to switch to our No 1 in these circumstances

Its one that's not true though. However a decent defence, including cutting out cheap crosses would certainly help young Bish. The defending out wide for their 3rd yesterday was truly shocking......Two of ours against one Wycombe player who is heading towards his own goal with no options in the 90th minute.....Have a close look at what happens next.

Bonds biggest mistake has been dropping Oxley......Of course most fans wanted that and won't own up to it.

Very rare for me to find fault with a young player but I didn't want Bish playing at Lincoln.
His confidence took a knock last season and this has just made it worse.......Remember in his first couple of games last season when he charged out from his near post and narrowed the angle. Made a great couple of blocks doing that. As the 4th goal proved he no longer does that and far to many go through him or under him etc.

Wycombe got a tad lucky with their second goal but Bish going down early and to his left was school boy stuff. It was on their guys left foot. So a keeper has to cover more of his right hand post, instead he made it easier.

So does Bond now make things worse by continuing with Bish or bring back the Ox. It seems the manger, the fans and judging by the players unprofessional reaction to Blackpools first goal, that Ox doesn't have to many friends.......Bond is now in a no win situation......In so many ways.

Agree with all of this and BarryC's follow up post. I mentioned in my report following the Peterborough game that I'd bring Oxley back in, he does make the odd howler but is the better of the two right now IMO.

I asked a question yesterday regarding how many games we've actually won with Bishop in goal? There's obviously the cup game against Stevenage and some in the League trophy, but I can only recall about 3 in the league ever.

Back