• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Space rocket launch tonight

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
This has got to be a bit of excitement - right?

1st rocket launch for ages, and 1st commercial launch - and should be visible for us overhead with the naked eye this evening.

Get on following this bloke on Twitter for the latest info: https://twitter.com/VirtualAstro

Watch the first commercial launch of Astronauts to the Space Station LIVE! Then watch the Spacecraft fly over the UK minutes after - JUST USING YOUR EYES! Follow
@VirtualAstro
for alerts. More info and WATCH LIVE HERE: https://meteorwatch.org/crew-dragon-watch-the-launch-then-see-it-fly-over-uk/

1590595301846.png

I saw one launch from Cape Canaveral, whilst staying at nearby Cocoa Beach in 1982. An absolutely breathtaking experience.

I visited the Kennedy Space Center a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, awesome place and highly recommended. I'll be watching later OBL.

Weather is a cause for concern at the moment but NASA still hopeful it will clear in the next 40 mins, so much so that they have commenced with the fueling process!

Hope all goes well

I visited the Kennedy Space Center a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, awesome place and highly recommended. I'll be watching later OBL.

We went April last year. It is a really great place. Our boys even queued up to get the autograph of an astronaut. It turned out to be Jack Lousma who's now retired. When we got home I researched him. It turns out he was the person at mission control that received the famous message, "Houston, we've had a problem".

When we found that out we had the t-shirts he signed cut up and framed along with the photos we took of him with the boys. They now have them hanging in their rooms.

Last edited:
Successful launch yesterday evening, think a lot of us managed to see the International Space Station going by at around 10.15, with the hope of seeing the Dragon chasing just behind - anyone see it?

And anyone who goes to Florida should definitely go to Kennedy, absolutely fantastic place.

I wonder how much pollution a spaceship launch creates?

All those people buying green cars only for it to fund Elon Musk's vanity project that presumably create even more pollution (if it didn't I'd assume we'd use the technology for the aviation industry and make planes greener).

I wonder how much pollution a spaceship launch creates?

All those people buying green cars only for it to fund Elon Musk's vanity project that presumably create even more pollution (if it didn't I'd assume we'd use the technology for the aviation industry and make planes greener).

I am willing to bet not much in the grand scheme of things.

Edit...and I was right.

A Space X falcon heavy launch produces as much CO2 as an average car does in 200 years. I reckon there are 200 cars in my road alone so that is a year of motoring for a single road in Benfleet.

Last edited:
I am willing to bet not much in the grand scheme of things.

Edit...and I was right.

A Space X falcon heavy launch produces as much CO2 as an average car does in 200 years. I reckon there are 200 cars in my road alone so that is a year of motoring for a single road in Benfleet.

So a single journey in his toy creates as much pollution as 200 cars do in a year? There may be worse offenders but that still sounds like a lot to me.

It is a lot but they are not going off every day.

It's a hell of a lot for what serves no real purpose. This is polluting the planet for the future entertainment of a few unimaginably rich dudes. NASA's space missions hoped to enrich human understanding rather than just a billionaire.

Back