• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin: Fans won't come back until there is a vaccine

Non league clubs such as Chelmsford City or Concord Rangers may play in front of spectators before EFL clubs. There is plenty of room for social distancing given their average attendance, they could even make games all-ticket if needed. Small clubs in Denmark are to be allowed to recommence playing, could happen in the UK.

as soon as people get tested (anti body) and find out who has had it things will be possible

As today's announcement shows whilst the "2 metre" rule is in force schools cannot and never will be able to function properly. Likewise cinemas, theatres, concert venues, restaurants, pubs, aeroplanes and sporting stadia. As long as social distancing is here then none of these things can be financially viable.

So, to my mind, the government has two choices. Let all these "industries" die with the resultant devastating effect on the economy and people's lives or get rid of socially distancing which is being increasingly ignored anyway and which is ultimately unenforceable.

I am not a betting man but I'll wager that within weeks the "2 metres" will become "1 metre" and in the not too distant future it will just become "be sensible". Then football and all the other hospitality industries will be able to resume and actually be able to try and recoup some of their losses.

Yet kids are allowed back to school without a vaccine and beer gardens are going to be opening without a vaccine.

As today's announcement shows whilst the "2 metre" rule is in force schools cannot and never will be able to function properly. Likewise cinemas, theatres, concert venues, restaurants, pubs, aeroplanes and sporting stadia. As long as social distancing is here then none of these things can be financially viable.

So, to my mind, the government has two choices. Let all these "industries" die with the resultant devastating effect on the economy and people's lives or get rid of socially distancing which is being increasingly ignored anyway and which is ultimately unenforceable.

I am not a betting man but I'll wager that within weeks the "2 metres" will become "1 metre" and in the not too distant future it will just become "be sensible". Then football and all the other hospitality industries will be able to resume and actually be able to try and recoup some of their losses.
There is a 3rd option - governments prop up the shortfall, it's what is being proposed in the areas of industry I work in that require full (or near to) to make it financially viable.

There is a 3rd option - governments prop up the shortfall, it's what is being proposed in the areas of industry I work in that require full (or near to) to make it financially viable.
But where would the money come from for that?

My gut feeling (and I've a big gut) is that social distancing will have gone before September.

But where would the money come from for that?

My gut feeling (and I've a big gut) is that social distancing will have gone before September.
If the industries simply won't exist then that's when they find the monies, no different to bailing out the airlines and banking sector

Or of course, we could pay to watch live matches on our tv's at home for a small fee... oh wait?

Suggest that clever guy who sets up the player selection vote sets up a vote asking whether you would attend a match without a vac. or perhaps with a mask or now't ( on the face )

Absolutely this

There's more than a small likelyhood that there won't be a vaccine for Covid19, what then? No football crowds again ever? No resumption of social contact?

No chance, this social distancing will peter out in the coming months unless there's a huge spike in cases again.

You don’t need to be a betting man - that’s exactly how it’s planned to happen, if we’re lucky.

That would mean that transmission continues to drop and we find ourselves like New Zealand, down to zero cases. Let’s hope it’s that, because I can’t see us getting quite as far as that without advances in treatments (or a vaccine).

We’ll be back in lockdown by then, due to the second wave.

Maybe.

Ah, the fabled "Second Wave", eagerly anticipated by many to be worse than the Spanish Flu of 1919.

Well, in my job (which you might call as being in the "death industry") I have a bit of first hand experience of the effects of and measures taken to deal with the Wuhan Plague.

When all this started and people were going to be dropping like flies in the streets many, many temporary mortuaries were erected in the UK. a number being in Essex; in Basildon, Chelmsford and Upminster to name a few. Well, to date these have had ZERO occupants and are now being quietly dismantled. If the government really believes its own project fear about a far deadlier "Second Wave" just round the corner do you really think that they would be taking away the storage facilities?

I think it'll be all right.

Ah, the fabled "Second Wave", eagerly anticipated by many to be worse than the Spanish Flu of 1919.

Well, in my job (which you might call as being in the "death industry") I have a bit of first hand experience of the effects of and measures taken to deal with the Wuhan Plague.

When all this started and people were going to be dropping like flies in the streets many, many temporary mortuaries were erected in the UK. a number being in Essex; in Basildon, Chelmsford and Upminster to name a few. Well, to date these have had ZERO occupants and are now being quietly dismantled. If the government really believes its own project fear about a far deadlier "Second Wave" just round the corner do you really think that they would be taking away the storage facilities?

That sounds pretty conclusive.

I’ll inform the various doctors, epidemiologists & virologists that they’re worried about nothing then.

I hope your conclusion is on the money.Don't think anyone is eargly antticipating a second wave btw.

Funnily enough I was talking to our district nurse (on the phone) yesterday.Normally (as a Type 2 diabetic) I have a routine check up every month or so and a blood analysis every 6 months.Managed to finally get in touch with her after trying for a week or two.Have had only had one check up this year and that was well before the covid-19 crisis broke.She told me that the local CAPs (Health centres) have efectively beeen put on a war footing dealing with covid-19 patients in recovery and they won't be handling any routine work again until September.She also told me to be sure to phone early for my next appointment on Sepember 1st as they expext to be innundated with new seond wave patients from October.

This situation (at the CAP's) isn't generally known here and I'm rather suprised that a good investigative reporter hasn't exposed the story.

PS I'm aware that each country handles the covid-19 situation differently.Our younger daughter's boyfriend found it easy to get a couple of doctor's appointments locally in France when he got a splinter in his hand while gardening a few weeks back.Ditto with my sister-in-law who had a similar problem in Avingnon.

Last edited:
Back