• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

When we went 4=0 down at home to Millwall a few years ago was the only time I have left a game early. Aylesbury as a one off was worse. Dover last season was woeful. Can’t ever remember being bottom of the football league before today though?!? But then remember Man U at home, Swansea away, Stockport away, Wycombe at Wembley, Lincoln at Cardiff? UTB

Last game of the 1997-1998 season (I think), everyone had P45 signs around me, we got relegated, fans ran on the pitch and caved in the cross bar.

That was the first game I remember (I was 9, went to a game when I was 5 but don't remember it). Weird never went to football with my Dad but that was the only game he took me to, he didn't like football.

This feels worse than that tho.

Tes Bramble’s half volley into the top corner remains a finish of transcendent beauty.

My least favourite Southend moment was Lee Barnard’s Friday night hat-trick.

Thought you'd like that.

Worst thing was after several hours travelling back to University my friends and I went to our local curry house for dinner and were sat on the table next to Royal Holloway's only Orient fan.

How about Sammy going to roll the ball out, letting it slip from his hand while doing so and watching it crawl over the line for an own goal?

Southend 0 Watford 4 back in February 1995 was a dark day as well.
The atmosphere was toxic with people calling for Peter Taylor's head after only a few minutes of the game having started.
If I remember correctly, we conceded all 4 goals before half time!

The atmosphere was toxic with people calling for Peter Taylor's head after only a few minutes of the game having started.
I Remember the look on Chrissy Powell’s face as he trudged off!

Morecambe away as the cap on a run of games where I will still take some convincing that we weren't losing on purpose for fear of players not retaining contracts in a higher division. I didn't have a lift home either so that was doubly depressing....

The context of yesterday’s goal made it feel like the nadir - the 4th goal of a heavy opening day home defeat to Harrogate. Though many of the examples given by previous posters of howlers were bad moments, several were part of championship level seasons where realistically we were always going to struggle. Similarly shock cup defeats, though disappointing are not a big deal (ie. we are never going to progress to the latter stages anyway). The rock bottom feeling of the 4th goal yesterday will be difficult to surpass, though I have a horrible feeling there could be a few more shocking moments to follow in the next eight months!

Our 2-0 defeat against Boston on a cold Tuesday night under Wignall. Horrible performance against dire opposition and I don't think we created a single chance. The only smile was an old geezer in front of me continually slagging off Drewe Broughton (in a humorous manner I should add). Drewe was replaced by Tes Bramble and the fellow gave him a round of applause, then shouted, 'right, you're next'.

Not worst but Paul Clarks bullet diving header into his own net again Shrewsbury in front of The North Bank...... 197?

After a week's ski-ing in Livigno (Italy), we got up at stupid o'clock on the Saturday morning for a 4 hour transfer back to the airport. Flight to Stansted got in at around 1.00, still hoping to make the Watford game. Arrived back in Southend at around 2.45. Luckily, lived less than 10 minutes from the ground. Quick hello to the good lady, handing over my suitcase, didn't have time to get changed and rushed straight to the ground. By 3.35 we were 3-0 down. They don't get much worse than that!

Back