• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The minimum requirement

gazza

First XI
So we all know we need strengthening. What is the minimum amount of players/positions we need to improve? I think:

1. x1 CM
2. x2 CB
3. x1 FWD

We can only really afford 1 centre back surely, particularly with White and Lennon to hopefully come back in.

Definitely 1 centre midfielder and 1 target man up front. Something tells me that Molesley isn't looking for this type of striker though which is a worry.
Plus a replacement for Kelman if he leaves.

I also worry that MM's loyalty will see him persist with Goodship which will be detrimental to the team.

To put this into context.

Since we won 4-0 at Bradford

We've played 64 competitive games. Our record is.

Won 9, Drawn 13, Lost 42.

Of those 9 wins, one was in the League Cup at Stevenage and the other in the EFT against Wimbledon's reserves. In the process we shipped 140 goals.

(all maths done on my fingers)

We have lost 10 of our last 11 competitive games (though if you talk to our opponents, they'll tell you we weren't competitive).

Quite how you fix that kind of mess with no money, limited wages and a reputation as a ****house club, I don't know. I do know MM is not going to be able fix this, but then again, neither could any manager I can think of who is willing to operate at this level.

To fix this mess we are in will take what we dont have Money. Money to bring in some experience ,not aged or past players looking for a last paycheck before retirement but 25/26 year olds with experience both at this level or 1 level higher.How many my estimation is we would need at least 5. 1 x CD,1 X DMC , 1 X MC/AMC, 1 X FC, 1XGK

To do that first we would need to payoff HRMC get out of the umbargo ,release or sell some of the players to make way for the additions ,and if possible (which i doubt ,being in the mess we are in) find a backer, Time for RM to flaunt his promises etc to a backer and find a partner .

Taking league performances this season into consideration & based on yesterday’s starting XI, we need replacements for Taylor, Hutchinson, Egbri, Goodship & Kelman. So, to answer the OP: 1x CB, 1x CM, 1x Winger, 2x Forward. These will need to be established L2 players. Without that, imho, yesterday’s team would struggle at conference level.

Nothing about the way MM sets us up to play suggests he would want a big old fashioned target man up top. For me, the style MM wants to implement requires a change of formation. 4-4-2 doesn’t work, it leaves us horribly short in midfield, full backs and wingers are constantly getting in each ways and denying one another any space and playing two slight players up top who can’t hold up a football to save their lives makes them both very easy to mark out of the game.

I’d like to see us adopt a 4-3-3 system. With the current players we have it would look like this (of course, when all fit).. Oxley, Demi, White, Hobson, Ralph, Macca (slightly deeper), Dieng, Hutchinson (given an almost roaming role), Akinola, Kelman, Green.

That midfield three would keep things compact in the middle, far to often we are losing the midfield battle which in turn losses us the game. Having both Macca and Dieng in their to recycle the ball, to break up the play would give us more stability I think with Hutchinson being allowed to have creative freedom and not need to worry to much about getting back and help in defence. The front three would have plenty of pace to get in behind teams and if Charlie had his shooting boots on, hopefully some goals as well.

Of course that could be improved with a couple of additions. The obvious one for me being an upgrade on Hutchinson and a replacement for Kelman should he leave.

The minimum requirement is for this group of players to be fit.

We could bring in another three, four or five players, but unless we get the absolute basics right - such as being able to work hard for 90+ minutes - then it’ll always be the same outcome.

What concerns me, is why people think that bringing in a few newbies will all of a sudden change our fortunes & turn us around.

We won’t be paying transfer fees to anyone (for obvious reasons), so that rules out most players.

We’ve got more than enough of our own yoof players that should still be playing academy football as it is, so we don’t need someone else’s.

And I suspect the decent, durable & reliable free agents were snapped up before we even returned to training and long before MM had even considered what it’d be like to work for Ron Martin.

There is no easy way to fix this problem.

Our strongest XI on paper, is still a relegation team. We were one of the worst teams in English football last season, and that hasn’t changed just because we’ve dropped down a level. Four competitive games so far this season, and we’ve scored just one goal, and shipped 10, which tell you It’s the same old problems.

The truth is, we may have to limp through to January, and hope that in the meantime Ron can get the money issues resolved, embargo lifted & have the funds ready to recruit the majority of a new team... all whilst hoping that we haven’t been cut adrift.

Our only other hope of staying in this league, is hoping that two clubs go out of business... and I’ve got to be honest, that’s an incredibly ****ty thing to say.

If I was MM I'd be looking for a target man as our next signing, it would give us an out when we are defending and bring other players into the game, there's a few around without clubs that could fit the bill nicely

This 100%

Whilst the causes of our troubles go back further, you only have to look at our record from 23rd October 2018 when Tom Hopper was injured. That was our 5th win in 8 matches. Since then it’ll be more like 10 wins in 80.

Get a mobile targetman and it won’t cure everything but it’ll allow all the other things they’ve been working on to have a chance to succeed. It’ll relieve pressure on the defence, it’ll allow us time to get players forward, it’ll improve us at set pieces both ends of the pitch. It is the single change with the biggest impact.

The minimum requirement is for this group of players to be fit.

We could bring in another three, four or five players, but unless we get the absolute basics right - such as being able to work hard for 90+ minutes - then it’ll always be the same outcome.

What concerns me, is why people think that bringing in a few newbies will all of a sudden change our fortunes & turn us around.

We won’t be paying transfer fees to anyone (for obvious reasons), so that rules out most players.

We’ve got more than enough of our own yoof players that should still be playing academy football as it is, so we don’t need someone else’s.

And I suspect the decent, durable & reliable free agents were snapped up before we even returned to training and long before MM had even considered what it’d be like to work for Ron Martin.

There is no easy way to fix this problem.

Our strongest XI on paper, is still a relegation team. We were one of the worst teams in English football last season, and that hasn’t changed just because we’ve dropped down a level. Four competitive games so far this season, and we’ve scored just one goal, and shipped 10, which tell you It’s the same old problems.

The truth is, we may have to limp through to January, and hope that in the meantime Ron can get the money issues resolved, embargo lifted & have the funds ready to recruit the majority of a new team... all whilst hoping that we haven’t been cut adrift.

Our only other hope of staying in this league, is hoping that two clubs go out of business... and I’ve got to be honest, that’s an incredibly ****ty thing to say.
Trouble being we might be one of those teams im sad to say.

So we all know we need strengthening. What is the minimum amount of players/positions we need to improve? I think:

1. x1 CM
2. x2 CB
3. x1 FWD

We have 5 forwards on the books with 14 league goals between them. Although when I say on the books it appears as if two of them aren’t actually registered. So if we strike their 5 goals off that’s 3 strikers with 9 goals and we’re desperately shopping the one who has two-thirds of those goals. That leaves us with 18 year old Matt Rush and Brandon Goodship, neither of whom has the physique to lead the line.

Our number one priority has to be forwards. Even if Akinola is part of the answer once registered, we need someone who can share the burden with him if we’re selling Kelman or can spell him if we’re going one up front.

We have lots of central defenders, albeit some may be on unofficial strike. We should have enough to compete. White/Dieng and Lennon when fit have all played L1 and add in Kyprianou/Hobson/Taylor/MMN and there’s enough depth.

Where we don’t have depth is out wide where we’re relying on an 18 year old.

We need the players we have to be available. And we need confidence.
These are not easy things to achieve, and that's the problem.
I personally think we'd benefit from a simpler game plan. While confidence is low we need to go Phil Brown-clean sheet mentality. When we were on a poor run under him we'd go 3 at the back, keep things tight and try to grind out some clean sheets and points that way. I personally think that's our best option from where we are now.
There were so many poor decisions yesterday, and that's down to confidence. So focus almost entirely on doing the basics well.

We need the players we have to be available. And we need confidence.
These are not easy things to achieve, and that's the problem.
I personally think we'd benefit from a simpler game plan. While confidence is low we need to go Phil Brown-clean sheet mentality. When we were on a poor run under him we'd go 3 at the back, keep things tight and try to grind out some clean sheets and points that way. I personally think that's our best option from where we are now.
There were so many poor decisions yesterday, and that's down to confidence. So focus almost entirely on doing the basics well.

I agree, especially on the confidence point. Bond and Sol started out trying to constantly play out from the back, both eventually realised it was futile. Molesley seems to have fallen into the same trap.

Longer term, I’d love to see us playing slick, passing football, but we haven’t got the players for that right now. We‘ve got to go a bit more direct at times, at least then you’re giving away the ball away from danger rather than in shooting range.

If say White or Demi was fit, i'd put them right back. I'd push Elvis up in front of them. I'd leave the centre backs together to get an understanding, and i'll bring Clifford in at left back. Alan Mac centre mid and give Ralph a try alongside him. The Barnsley lad out on the left as our out and out winger.
Rush (is he even a striker?)up alongside Charlie. Goodship and Hutch nowhere near the starting line up, Terri Eg to bring on late in the game against tired legs.
Whilst we wait for injuries and fitness to improve, i cant see a better team we could put out. *holds hands up in the air and shrugs face*

It will only be a dream while the club is not up for sale. Why are we not doing anything? Should be protests outside Ron's house.

I think you have to be careful suggesting that Westy. I totally understand why, but on a public forum I don't think suggesting protests outside an individual's home is the right thing to do. The SZ owners might want to consider their positions on this.

We have 5 forwards on the books with 14 league goals between them. Although when I say on the books it appears as if two of them aren’t actually registered. So if we strike their 5 goals off that’s 3 strikers with 9 goals and we’re desperately shopping the one who has two-thirds of those goals. That leaves us with 18 year old Matt Rush and Brandon Goodship, neither of whom has the physique to lead the line.

Our number one priority has to be forwards. Even if Akinola is part of the answer once registered, we need someone who can share the burden with him if we’re selling Kelman or can spell him if we’re going one up front.

We have lots of central defenders, albeit some may be on unofficial strike. We should have enough to compete. White/Dieng and Lennon when fit have all played L1 and add in Kyprianou/Hobson/Taylor/MMN and there’s enough depth.

Where we don’t have depth is out wide where we’re relying on an 18 year old.
I think Kyps and MMN may not be part of the picture for much longer

Back