• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin on BBC Essex

I found the 'careful what you wish for' comment interesting...We all know what he meant

Which always brings me to the point of why didn't he and why didn't he 10 years ago, or even 20...it's not like he needed us - he got what he wanted 20 years ago.

Maybe AFC Southend forming 10 years ago - we'd be a well run Championship side by now (not sure where the Stadium would be though!)

I hope this was meant as a joke otherwise it's a disgraceful comment. I thought fans of other clubs were welcome on our forum. Your comment was rude, disrespectful and totally unnecessary
Its called 'Banter' mate !! You'll soon learn our friend Rigsby loves a bit of banta !! As do a lot of us on here, so just be mindful of that to all the snowflakes out there ! LOL!!

I hope this was meant as a joke otherwise it's a disgraceful comment. I thought fans of other clubs were welcome on our forum. Your comment was rude, disrespectful and totally unnecessary

Once upon a time the people of the world had thick skin and could laugh and joke about whatever they pleased.
Then a few years later, a new generation arrived that was fluffy and fully inclusive of all elements of society. Unfortunately for them, their skin was not thick, but as thin as a silver rizzla and as result they look for insults at every turn. Sometimes they even crack a smile and have a laugh. Very rare that this is the case.

Once upon a time the people of the world had thick skin and could laugh and joke about whatever they pleased.
Then a few years later, a new generation arrived that was fluffy and fully inclusive of all elements of society. Unfortunately for them, their skin was not thick, but as thin as a silver rizzla and as result they look for insults at every turn. Sometimes they even crack a smile and have a laugh. Very rare that this is the case.

Terrible. How dare they?!

This whole post is you being annoyed by someone else's opinion. Snowflake behaviour.

Of course but my point is that the tax has already been collected.
If only it were that simple.

As an ex business owner, I can confirm that you start with all good intentions and to pay everyone what they are owed, on time.

And that's how it is for a while.

Then, something happens. It could be a change in legislation, a change in the market you are trying to reach, someone not paying you, key staff leaving, whatever. But all of a sudden you are drawing on reserves as the sales/fees haven't come in as planned or as they used to..

Unless things turn around quickly, the business owner is faced with various dilemmas which can include things like;

Advertising campaigns
Refinancing
Putting more cash in
Selling part of the business to an investor
Redundancies

Advertising costs money and may not work.

Refinancing will be on the banks terms and may not be possible

Any available cash may have already been put in

Selling in this scenario will be from a position of weakness and desperation, so it's unlikely to provide value (I use the illustration of when Roots Hall was sold. It was a fire sale, only one buyer. Consequently it was at a knock down price)

Getting rid of staff is a way of balancing the books but in the short term causes a huge cashflow issue. Our "cull" in January was probably responsible for a large part of the tax debt as there would have been a PAYE windfall for HMRC which we couldn't have covered.

So, when all else fails and the only money left is the tax collected, then either the company goes under or it "borrows" the money due to HMRC in the hope that it will be replaced.

And so the robbing Peter to pay Paul culture starts, it's an incredibly difficult position to reverse and in most cases is the beginning of the end for the business.

It's an almost impossible situation and yet here we are, still somehow with a football club to support and still with a possibility of a decent future.

Yes, Ron could have paid the tax but knows the rules. Use HMRC as a bank, pay them something at least regularly, wait for the winding up order, get an adjournment and voila! We live to fight another day.

People don't like it, I get that, but it's how business operates.

The time to get antsy and cross is if we get to a point where we CAN cover the costs and Ron still isn't paying. Now THAT'S bad management.

If only it were that simple.

As an ex business owner, I can confirm that you start with all good intentions and to pay everyone what they are owed, on time.

And that's how it is for a while.

Then, something happens. It could be a change in legislation, a change in the market you are trying to reach, someone not paying you, key staff leaving, whatever. But all of a sudden you are drawing on reserves as the sales/fees haven't come in as planned or as they used to..

Unless things turn around quickly, the business owner is faced with various dilemmas which can include things like;

Advertising campaigns
Refinancing
Putting more cash in
Selling part of the business to an investor
Redundancies

Advertising costs money and may not work.

Refinancing will be on the banks terms and may not be possible

Any available cash may have already been put in

Selling in this scenario will be from a position of weakness and desperation, so it's unlikely to provide value (I use the illustration of when Roots Hall was sold. It was a fire sale, only one buyer. Consequently it was at a knock down price)

Getting rid of staff is a way of balancing the books but in the short term causes a huge cashflow issue. Our "cull" in January was probably responsible for a large part of the tax debt as there would have been a PAYE windfall for HMRC which we couldn't have covered.

So, when all else fails and the only money left is the tax collected, then either the company goes under or it "borrows" the money due to HMRC in the hope that it will be replaced.

And so the robbing Peter to pay Paul culture starts, it's an incredibly difficult position to reverse and in most cases is the beginning of the end for the business.

It's an almost impossible situation and yet here we are, still somehow with a football club to support and still with a possibility of a decent future.

Yes, Ron could have paid the tax but knows the rules. Use HMRC as a bank, pay them something at least regularly, wait for the winding up order, get an adjournment and voila! We live to fight another day.

People don't like it, I get that, but it's how business operates.

The time to get antsy and cross is if we get to a point where we CAN cover the costs and Ron still isn't paying. Now THAT'S bad management.

Completely agree.

Reactions: fbm
Definitely feeling more positive after listening to that. He made some fairly concrete comments there about discharging the debt. Also a fair point about out of contract players once the window closes, so we should still be able to strengthen once the embargo is lifted.

Definitely feeling more positive after listening to that. He made some fairly concrete comments there about discharging the debt. Also a fair point about out of contract players once the window closes, so we should still be able to strengthen once the embargo is lifted.

I am sure when the window closes we can only sign players that were already free agents before the transfer window started?

I am sure when the window closes we can only sign players that were already free agents before the transfer window started?

That’s right, they have to be a free agent, so an unregistered out of contract player. But clubs may still release players between now and the transfer window so it’s not necessarily going to be us taking our pick from players no one wanted all summer.

There’s also plenty of clubs that will make players available for free transfer. So I believe we could agree a contract with them and they then mutually terminate their contract with their current club, therefore becoming a free agent and able to sign.

Terrible. How dare they?!

You know what I meant.

This Happy clappy society is creating more devides than ever before.

You cant say anything anymore as someone is always offended, regardless of whether it's offensive or not.

People are being raised to be tolerant of everything and not have an individual opinion on anything as that will be seen as you being intolerant.

Back