• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Walking Thread

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
So we have the running thread which is full of good advice but I just want to say how walking can be fantastic not just for the body but also for the mind.

I struggle to run but walking has done wonders for me and my mental health, getting lost in your own thoughts or listening to a good audiobook/podcast you can really rack up some miles.
Also I find that a really good app for walking is the under armour one ‘MapMyWalk’ (runner version is also available) allowing you to track your distance and you can enter friendly competitions against other walkers to really push yourself.

Since January 18th I have walked over 183 miles so as the crow flies about the distance from Southend to Sheffield or Cardiff which I thought was amazing.
It’s been superb for my diabetes, which I can finally say is now in remission (for those that understand my HBA1c is 5.1% now)

Walking with somebody can really pass the time as well if you get into a good chat, I’m always up for meeting anybody for a walk and chat about SUFC Or anything so if you fancy it let me know.

My latest stats against other app users....

304DFC2C-DD50-466B-AB65-42B2CF9C5AD5.jpg

I'd been running for the last 43 years, until last Sept when i copped the ankle injury, Plantar Fasciitus. It's a hell of a lot better now, but occasionally i can still feel it so have yet to start running again 'just in case'.
So instead of going out running 5 times weekly, since last Sept i've been walking 5-6 days weekly, which is a lot easier on my heel.
As i live near Thames Drive in Leigh, my daily route down to Leigh station gives me 3 or 4 slight variations of routes to the top of Belton Way, & then obviously either one of 2 choices of heading for the station.
Once there i pop in for my copy of The Metro, then start 'working the steps opp'.
Again, i vary my workout, 1 day i just go up the 180 straight opp the station, & walk home once at the top, & every other day i'll walk 1/3rd way up & veer right & climb those steps which lead towards Leigh.
Once at the top i'll walk back to the main ones, go down them 2/3rds & then go up the ones on the left as your looking at from the station.
Dont know if it's the steps that makes my heart beat faster, or observing the feisty females in their stretch on Lycra gear, doing the same thing!.
depending on what circuit i do, usually takes between 30-40 mins, plus i finish with a 'fast' walk up the side road leading to the A13.
I dont have any 'Apps', just take in the view on a daily basis, & get lost in my own thoughts!.

Yeah I favour walking over running, I’ll usually walk from Leigh to Shoebury along the seafront (sometimes through Westcliff or via Southchurch) or across the downs via Two Tree to Benfleet, or sometimes via Hadleigh Park. If I'm feeling really good I go further to Thundersley or even Pitsea but that’s rare! Does wonders for the old mental health especially as I was off work for 9 months, I’ve cut down on the booze and quit smoking too so it’s helped with that! If I’m working I’ll just do a quick circuit of Leigh including those station steps mentioned above, that’s knackering enough!!

! If I’m working I’ll just do a quick circuit of Leigh including those station steps mentioned above, that’s knackering enough!!

Doesn't get any easier when your my age ( 64 in 4 months! ), but like to believe over 4 decades of regular running, Marathons, 1/2 marathons etc, has kept me in good stead.
Like to think Monkey Glands & Ginseng have helped as well!!.

It's the seafood diet that done for you B.

Ha!, like to think it's definitely helped!. When i think of the diet i had in my late teens, it makes me shudder.
But as we reach 'mature years', especially in the last 30 years, we've learnt so much more about beneficial foods?.
I like to think it's similar to a car, look after it & it will serve you well. Neglect it & it will seize up, just like our body's, if you don't look after it, it will let you know?.

My dog gets walked several miles every day, across footpaths and country parks ( mostly by my wife as I work). It was very noticeable how many more people are now walking because of lockdown.
We have had to find new routes as we prefer to be on our own.
Ps- in muddy woods the “new white trainer families’ cracks me up. Why just why?

Last edited:
Walked around 5 and half miles today down to and along the seafront and back to the car, should hopefully get around 18ish miles done over the Easter weekend, Sunday looks like it'll be decent weather-wise so that will be earmarked to walk from Two Tree Island to Westcliff and back with a stop for seafood and an icecream.

Now that the lockdown restrictions are starting to lift and we can travel a bit further I'm hoping to do one of the walking routes on the Roach Valley Way, looks a lovely place to walk during late spring/summer. If you search for Roach Valley Way on google you can download a PDF of the various routes, very handy.

Over 4 million steps in the last year. Running not good for my calves or heelsView attachment 15019
This is basically 12k steps a day which if you don’t change your diet would make you lose 52lb in a year. That’s superb. Obviously this is based on you having your same diet as usual what you would have if you wasn’t walking. The base level is 10k sets a day if you hit 12k everyday over the week you lose a lb in weight.

So we have the running thread which is full of good advice but I just want to say how walking can be fantastic not just for the body but also for the mind.

I struggle to run but walking has done wonders for me and my mental health, getting lost in your own thoughts or listening to a good audiobook/podcast you can really rack up some miles.
Also I find that a really good app for walking is the under armour one ‘MapMyWalk’ (runner version is also available) allowing you to track your distance and you can enter friendly competitions against other walkers to really push yourself.

Since January 18th I have walked over 183 miles so as the crow flies about the distance from Southend to Sheffield or Cardiff which I thought was amazing.
It’s been superb for my diabetes, which I can finally say is now in remission (for those that understand my HBA1c is 5.1% now)

Walking with somebody can really pass the time as well if you get into a good chat, I’m always up for meeting anybody for a walk and chat about SUFC Or anything so if you fancy it let me know.

My latest stats against other app users....

View attachment 14997
Supoib!!! Remission is superb!

Walking is very good for you. I took it up last year after work until it got too dark. I lost a bit of weight and was well happy.

October through to early March was a no no, but I am walking again!

This is basically 12k steps a day which if you don’t change your diet would make you lose 52lb in a year. That’s superb. Obviously this is based on you having your same diet as usual what you would have if you wasn’t walking. The base level is 10k sets a day if you hit 12k everyday over the week you lose a lb in weight.

I have actually lost some weight but nowhere near 52lb. I haven't tracked my calorie intake over calories burned to see if I am in deficit but just getting out in the fresh air is good for my mental health. Anything else is a bonus.
21,000 steps in the golf course yesterday hasn't done my legs much good this morning though. They ache like hell and are stiff as a board

I never thought I would be able to run due to knee arthritis but I did the couch 2 5k and am now running around 7k in 30 mins pain free.

Give it a go. It starts pretty easy and build up a little each week.

7 k in 30 mins is fast !!!
I’m 61 and run 5 k in 31 mins and was happy, now feel rubbish ??
Well done on that time, I think it’s amazing

7 k in 30 mins is fast !!!
I’m 61 and run 5 k in 31 mins and was happy, now feel rubbish ??
Well done on that time, I think it’s amazing

Actually it turned out Strava was overestimating distance run. I am actually doing 6k in 30 mins which I am still happy with seeing as I have only been running a few months.

Back