• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC Essex Ron interview here

Thought it was a good interview. The answers, that many will not believe, were the kind of responses we wanted. Spot on about Akinola. Completely right about being careful what you wish for in terms of regime change and so right the club cannot be run by several thousand supporters. A plot spoiler was alluded to with regard taking action to stave off relegation but that will all play out in the coming weeks.

What I gleaned from that bizarre 30 minutes was that Ron is a better fan than anyone because he cares more, wants us to succeed more and was hurt more when we failed to retain our league status. He has also attended more matches than the rest of you home and away for 23 years so therefore you can all stop whinging ?

So where do you stop promotion and relegation Ron? Does your argument mean if there can't be relegation from League 2 then Rochdale, Swindon, Northampton & Bristol Rovers should stay in League One? and Wycombe etc in the Championship? And the Premier League?
You play out the season as if there was relegation and promotion, the point at which a league cannot complete under the terms that they started is where the relegation / promotion cut off should be

I too thought it was a good interview Ron has made mistakes and he knows it but you cant deny that he has a passion for the club. whatever your opinion is, like him or not.
You dont put the millions in he has into the club and go to as many games as he has home and away unless you have a passion for this club.

You play out the season as if there was relegation and promotion, the point at which a league cannot complete under the terms that they started is where the relegation / promotion cut off should be
You can't just tell the teams at the top of the National League with a week to go that all the effort they've put in has been pointless because they've decided there's no promotion this season. If Ron genuinely felt that way he should have said so when the National League South/North were cancelled, not when we'd been confirmed as relegated and it directly benefits us for promotion in that league to be scrapped.

It was a good interview from the BBC Essex team. It was fantastic that they gave it to people who know the Club, know the team and have seen with their own eyes how it has fallen apart in recent years.

It was a horrific interview from Ron Martin who seems completely out of touch with reality and not content with making us a laughing stock on the field sounds primed to mount some sort of legal challenge to keep us in the league by virtue of some argument around sporting integrity.

The Collymore stuff was interesting and hopefully Stan and a new CEO can come in and set things straight. If Ron wants to play property developer then go ahead and do it but I don't want this man anywhere near decisions directly impacting my football club.

I made a lot of notes so I'll get a beer and come back and make some more comments.

Good grief.

Ron is deluded if he thinks we can keep our football league status just because there were no relegations from the national league this season. You talk about spreading yourself thin and then you devote time to lost causes, concentrate on getting a competitive team on the field next season, not clinging on to a 1000/1 chance that you might be able to stop our relegation

Yes but don't forget lot of clubs decided to play youth teams due to furlough of players, so it became a bit if a mockery

I too thought it was a good interview Ron has made mistakes and he knows it but you cant deny that he has a passion for the club. whatever your opinion is, like him or not.
You dont put the millions in he has into the club and go to as many games as he has home and away unless you have a passion for this club.
A passion for making huge amounts of money through two new housing developments. But yeah he probably likes the football side too

Last edited:
You can't just tell the teams at the top of the National League with a week to go that all the effort they've put in has been pointless because they've decided there's no promotion this season. If Ron genuinely felt that way he should have said so when the National League South/North were cancelled, not when we'd been confirmed as relegated and it directly benefits us for promotion in that league to be scrapped.
To play devils advocate on this, the teams at the top have played against teams that haven't really tried for half a season

Back