• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any questions!

Right, responding to this because this line of thought drives me a bit mad - nothing personal!

Can we please nip in the bud any notion that Ron Martin has a serious 'budget', beyond perhaps a loose figure at the start of the season which is then not really kept to? It's giving him way too much credit. He just isn't that sort of planner. He flies by the seat of his pants, and his cashflow situation is very fluid - evidence: the club being able to afford the likes of Kightly, Kiernan one minute, and then in debt to HMRC and without a pot to **** in the next minute, and then back to committing to 'spend big' again next season. For the most part, I honestly think he just decides on a case-by-case basis whether he feels we can afford something/someone.rather than strictly keeping within a pre-decided budget. He will follow the same 'procedure' when putting in place this new structure.

Beyond that, speculate to accumulate. As Stan Collymore has strongly suggested in other posts, spending extra now to fill positions such as these is quite likely (if done right) to reduce financial waste going forward, i.e pay off in the medium-long term.

Great post. It's why we need to change if want to be sustainable.

Well, if I may chip in with my opinion here I think VAR works well in cricket and in rugby for disputed tries. In both cases it has improved the game. However it isn't really suited to football though other than for possible penalty decisions and whether the ball has crossed the goal line.

In my opinion the VAR ref should only contact the on-field ref if he has spotted something blatant, either off the ball or in terms of a clearly mistaken decision. Marginal offside should not be subject to VAR.
I agree except that I would prefer the use of pitchside monitors for every decision. Also the offside rule needs updating to make it more VAR friendly. A lot of the complaints about VAR are actually about the offside being enforced correctly

Right, responding to this because this line of thought drives me a bit mad - nothing personal!

Can we please nip in the bud any notion that Ron Martin has a serious 'budget', beyond perhaps a loose figure at the start of the season which is then not really kept to? It's giving him way too much credit. He just isn't that sort of planner. He flies by the seat of his pants, and his cashflow situation is very fluid - evidence: the club being able to afford the likes of Kightly, Kiernan one minute, and then in debt to HMRC and without a pot to **** in the next minute, and then back to committing to 'spend big' again next season. For the most part, I honestly think he just decides on a case-by-case basis whether he feels we can afford something/someone.rather than strictly keeping within a pre-decided budget. He will follow the same 'procedure' when putting in place this new structure.

Beyond that, speculate to accumulate. As Stan Collymore has strongly suggested in other posts, spending extra now to fill positions such as these is quite likely (if done right) to reduce financial waste going forward, i.e pay off in the medium-long term.
Couldn't agree more and he has proved this again in the last few weeks.

In the zoom meeting he (or his accountant) admitted the budget for next season wasn't finalised and the club will lose nearly £500k income from the Premier league without the undoubted reduction in ticket prices and gate receipts.

None of the above have stopped him appointing PB and possibly a CEO (desperately needed) or 2 this week and ? a role for Stan.

Without a finalised budget how does he know this is sustainable and he isn't walking in to more problems and potentially more CCJ'S or having any funds left to assemble a squad of players to do battle in the NL?

Last edited:
Stan, did you really offer to buy the club from Ron last month, as reported on your Wiki page?

Apr 22, 2021
Pak Power said:
Am I the only cynic thinking “why didn’t this happen sooner” we ( or most of us have known we aren’t good enough for this league since this stupid season started.

someone might think that now we are relegated ( bar a miracle ) that someone was trying throughthe medium of an ex - footballer to buy the club on the cheap ?

surely the club ( ground aside) is not worth what it was a couple of months ago , now it’s non league?
Hi pal

I've offered support over 20 years, unconditionally, so hope that answers the question, and have been on this forum for 17 years.

I have zero interest in buying a club as a sole owner, nor does anyone I've spoken to about Southend United. Indeed they, like me believe that the sole ownership model is fatally floored ( some of the 12 SL clubs have sole owners, couldn't be arsed to tell their own CEO's in some cases nevermind managers, players or fans), so my involvement as I said is "can we all talk", but for me I wouldn't be interested in pointing any one owner towards Southend United as I believe issues are only ever stored up for a year or a decade or two decades down the line.

I would love to see your club have a model that by constitution guarantees your Grandchildren can watch your club in 50 years time, safe in the knowledge that the constitution protects them.

I I hope that answers your question you suspicious sod! ?

Like Like

Well, if I may chip in with my opinion here I think VAR works well in cricket and in rugby for disputed tries. In both cases it has improved the game. However it isn't really suited to football though other than for possible penalty decisions and whether the ball has crossed the goal line.

In my opinion the VAR ref should only contact the on-field ref if he has spotted something blatant, either off the ball or in terms of a clearly mistaken decision. Marginal offside should not be subject to VAR.
100% agree on the marginal offside and shouldn't be subject to VAR! I feel for the players and fans, when you celebrate a goal and to be taken away due to player big toe being in offside position, it must be hard to take.

This must be the biggest (and one of the longest currently at 8 pages) cat and mouse chases ever seen on SZ.

Stan ,if you can't say anyting officially until either the Chairman or manager have released a statement next week,then why not just say so?

Otherwise things don't appear to augur well for any new era of communication between SUFC and the fans in future.

On a lighter note, I seem to remember in your autobiography, that you compared Oviedo with Norwich (on the basis presumably that they're both provincial backwaters).Given that in modern day Oviedo there's a statue of Woody Allen there, I don't think they'll be putting up one for you, after your 3 liga appearences and 71 minutes playing time with them.Any regrets about that?

This must be the biggest (and one of the longest currently at 8 pages) cat and mouse chases ever seen on SZ.

Stan ,if you can't say anyting officially until either the Chairman or manager have released a statement next week,then why not just say so?

Otherwise things don't appear to augur well for any new era of communication between SUFC and the fans in future.

On a lighter note, I seem to remember in your autobiography, that you compared Oviedo with Norwich (on the basis presumably that they're both provincial backwaters).Given that in modern day Oviedo there's a statue of Woody Allen there, I don't think they'll be putting up one for you, after your 3 liga appearences and 71 minutes playing time with them.Any regrets about that?

Nottingham Forest supporters recently voted for the Greatest Ever Team ( season ticket holders and members) to celebrate 150 years of the club.

Final team enclosed.

That's my statue.

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

• 39F76C7B-55BD-4634-A1FF-B76967E6761C.jpeg
    39F76C7B-55BD-4634-A1FF-B76967E6761C.jpeg
    847.6 KB · Views: 138
There's been no announcement because there is nothing to announce. Indications are that talks are ongoing and progress is being made. When there is something to announce, I'm sure Stan will be the first to do so. Likewise, I am sure if talks had broken down or not gone anywhere, we would know by now. Confidentiality between parties and trust is vital particularly when talks pertaining to our club's future is at stake - this could be an absolutely massive week, so lets be patient, trust in Stan and hope for positive news soon. Until then, keep the faith.

There's been no announcement because there is nothing to announce. Indications are that talks are ongoing and progress is being made. When there is something to announce, I'm sure Stan will be the first to do so. Likewise, I am sure if talks had broken down or not gone anywhere, we would know by now. Confidentiality between parties and trust is vital particularly when talks pertaining to our club's future is at stake - this could be an absolutely massive week, so lets be patient, trust in Stan and hope for positive news soon. Until then, keep the faith.
? Great post.

Seems to be a lot of impatience & inflammatory comment of late concerning Stans involvement & the pending CEO.

He’s been nothing but open & honest with us supporters on here.
To bring it to the lowest common denominator he’s a millionaire ex-footballer, no doubt has a very nice life & doesn’t need to be doing this for us at all except for the fact he loves the club.

Unfortunately, & understandably with all that’s gone before In the past 30+ years, any individual seeking involvement at the club seems to be viewed with a good deal of suspicion as to their motives & what’s in it for them.

Things will play out in their own time & when/if Stan (& hopefully Ron) have something of worth to say we’ll find out, hopefully not through Talksport though Mr Chairman.

As Stan says: Keep the Faith ?

Last edited:
Phil is the manager. As I've set out a number of times, my aim is to support Phil, Craig Fagan, Ricky Duncan, the Chairman, Supporters, CEO, players and create a positive and dynamic environment to work in.

I can't fall out with someone that I'm only there to help. I don't want to be a manager, coach, chairman or any role I'm not qualified for.

But I am qualified to bring structure, strategy, goodwill, relationships to the table which every employee at Southend United can benefit from.

I'm 50, if I wanted to be a jobbing football administrator, I'd have done it way before now.

Personally I'm delighted with Phil's comments tonight because I know he's open to fresh ideas and input. Likewise Ron.

But they are both naturally concerned that maybe my candour that I show you guys would be broadcast daily from within the club should I take up a role.

That won't be happening. Supporters will get the clearest and best information from a club anywhere in English football but there won't be a daily warts and all bulletin, and that has been intimated to everyone at the club.

I have zero ego where Southend is concerned but there's zero ego to be gained from offering genuine support other than feeling good about sticking my head above the parapet at a time of need. I think that's pretty cool.

I hope you all get the buzz you deserve next week, I believe there are very exciting days ahead, hand on heart.

But the "Stan Collymore argues with Phil or the tea lady " can all be put to bed now. I'll argue a point behind closed doors in an aim to get the very best outcomes for the club and everyone in it.

Thanks for the reply. It was asked tongue in cheek with a sense of thinking itll probably happen. As you know with PB, he can be fairly bullish and wants direct contact to RM, which I get, but the idea is we get someone to run the football side without needing RM and they are in place whoever the manager or coach may be.

Hi Stan
Best achievement in football? Also best person you have a connection with out of the game that can help our club? One more what’s been the project out of football you’ve been most proud of?
And final word appreciate all the time and effort you have and hopefully will put in for the club.
truly a club legend!

@stan collymore

I wasn't going to ask this but the thread still seems to have some momentum so I thought what the hell. What's your relationship with Simon Jordan like? TrueBlue was on a TalkSPORT interview recently. When he mentioned your name and the help you've been giving our club Jordan scoffed. It bugged me because what you've done some far is considerable and means a lot to us. I just thought it was a slight bit disrespectful and wondered if there was any 'in real life' reason that he would react that way.
Linked to Stan’s comments on this
http://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/posts/2374564/

Back