• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next season - all too familiar, thanks Ron

Every year I hope for the same thing and every year I'm disappointed.

-Season ticket info, we've had weeks to put this together and pretty much every other club has had their info out for a while now (some very good deals too) yet nothing for us. On the recent zoom call meeting Ron advised that fans cannot expect cheap ST's if they want good players etc. My argument to that is, we haven't seen good players in years so might as well save us some money. The fact our ST's have been at the top end for the past decade plus, is daylight robbery.

-Pre-season games, yeah sure 4 have been announced. We're still 'talking' to another 4 clubs. Why are we talking still? We all know when the season ends and starts, why not have it organised weeks/months ago. Just be more organised.

-Kits, release them as early as we can, we're always the last one's to release. Even then you typically can't get a medium for quite a few weeks into the season. Last year it was announced much earlier than normal but in past years its all been very poor. Get it all out early and get some money in the bank, again, be organised.

-Signings, this is the main one obviously. I've seen many league clubs announcing many signings already. We know our history with summer signings, typically we're very late to the party and very often, after the season has already begun. I look on with envy season teams getting plenty of signings in early, full pre-season etc etc. Something we can just never manage to do. You'd like to think a list of targets was drawn up weeks/months ago but our amazing head of recruitment (hahahahaha) but I have no faith that's even been talking about yet let alone us being close to signing anyone. We're frustratingly slow starters to most seasons, it's pretty obvious why. I'm excluding the past season to this for obvious reasons.

-CEO, we've appointed a manager, looking at appointing backroom staff, released players, offered contracts etc etc etc, all without a CEO still hired. IF we do employ a CEO A LOT of big decisions would of already been made which could be in place years, crazy business all being done in the wrong order. A CEO should of been in place well before the season ended.

-Pre-season training return, At least this is something we can be happy about. This seems to be planned already which is much better than we're used too. We're always very late at getting even a date organised and typically start weeks behind other teams.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that I find it hard to comprehend how unorganised and dysfunctional we are as a club. I want us to be better and more professional but it always seems too much to ask in reality.
If one man is doing all of the above on his own (and we all know who that is) it's not surprising things take ages to get done (if at all) :Cry:

and there lies the problem doesn't it. I hope I'm wrong but I'm still not convinced a CEO will be appointed. Even if he/she is, it's already too late.
I have been running my own business(s) for about 35 years , and it took me a long time to realise that it is NOT a sign of weakness to delegate (quite the reverse in fact). Our Chairman has still not realised that unfortunately, which is why we find ourselves in the position we are.

I have been running my own business(s) for about 35 years , and it took me a long time to realise that it is NOT a sign of weakness to delegate (quite the reverse in fact). Our Chairman has still not realised that unfortunately, which is why we find ourselves in the position we are.
I think you are 100% right on that. If I had to name the three essential qualities for a 'good' football club owner then deep pockets, thick skin and the ability to delegate spring to mind.

Can't see us being relegated from the NL with this squad and this manager. However neither can I see us challenging for promotion with this squad...
Your right interms of going lower. If brown can add quality and someone who is capable of scoring 20 plus season, we might have half chance bouncing straight back.

I think we all need to calm down, the last few weeks has built up too much hype (unhealthily). It's gone and passed, we're moving on now, time to look forward and see what the next few months offer.

Things may look better in a few months or two, it wasn't meant too be for a reason that we'll never know why.
You are David Cameron and I claim my £5 :Winking:

Every year I hope for the same thing and every year I'm disappointed.

-Season ticket info, we've had weeks to put this together and pretty much every other club has had their info out for a while now (some very good deals too) yet nothing for us. On the recent zoom call meeting Ron advised that fans cannot expect cheap ST's if they want good players etc. My argument to that is, we haven't seen good players in years so might as well save us some money. The fact our ST's have been at the top end for the past decade plus, is daylight robbery.

-Pre-season games, yeah sure 4 have been announced. We're still 'talking' to another 4 clubs. Why are we talking still? We all know when the season ends and starts, why not have it organised weeks/months ago. Just be more organised.

-Kits, release them as early as we can, we're always the last one's to release. Even then you typically can't get a medium for quite a few weeks into the season. Last year it was announced much earlier than normal but in past years its all been very poor. Get it all out early and get some money in the bank, again, be organised.

-Signings, this is the main one obviously. I've seen many league clubs announcing many signings already. We know our history with summer signings, typically we're very late to the party and very often, after the season has already begun. I look on with envy season teams getting plenty of signings in early, full pre-season etc etc. Something we can just never manage to do. You'd like to think a list of targets was drawn up weeks/months ago but our amazing head of recruitment (hahahahaha) but I have no faith that's even been talking about yet let alone us being close to signing anyone. We're frustratingly slow starters to most seasons, it's pretty obvious why. I'm excluding the past season to this for obvious reasons.

-CEO, we've appointed a manager, looking at appointing backroom staff, released players, offered contracts etc etc etc, all without a CEO still hired. IF we do employ a CEO A LOT of big decisions would of already been made which could be in place years, crazy business all being done in the wrong order. A CEO should of been in place well before the season ended.

-Pre-season training return, At least this is something we can be happy about. This seems to be planned already which is much better than we're used too. We're always very late at getting even a date organised and typically start weeks behind other teams.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that I find it hard to comprehend how unorganised and dysfunctional we are as a club. I want us to be better and more professional but it always seems too much to ask in reality.

On the signings point, we signed lots of players very early in pre season under Powell and most of them turned out to be rubbish (and over paid) and this ultimately led to our downfall. Rushed signings. So I really don’t get your “main” point.

Seeing as strikers are all ready being watched we wont have to worry. Its a game of numbers and near misses and a lot more involved than any fan can fathom.

What you wont get is any tick box clear open and honest up dates on social media to keep fans happy because Its none of our business anyway. There will be hints on the way but when it actually happens we will be told.

Yes we all think we would make a good DoF. Which is fine as a bit of light football escapism in our dull lives but when turns to hate, anger and 100 pages of why didn't we sign X,Y or Z on June the 1st.......Someone on here really needs to be the adult in the room.
Agreed, looking forward to seeing who it is ?

Speaking of HMRC ,when does that need to be paid next,just like to know so we all know when to expect the next umbargo !!!!!!!
Very good question, does anyone know when that’s due again? I can’t imagine our cash flow has improved and another management team to pay off.

Could you see us being relegated from the football league at the start of last season? I don’t think many did.
You’d be surprised. Plenty on here thought we were the worst team in the EFL even when we were in League 1, and in pre-season many thought we’d only survive if there were 2 teams who were worse than us.

My heart told me we’d be ok. Then my head intervened and asked me to compare our current squad to our promotion winning team. That was that.

Back