• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Moore R.I.P

The club have been told (and asked to let Grimsby know too), hopefully our media team will post up a tribute on the club website. Also informed BT Sport and BBC Essex

Via SUEPA channels we've also let Billy and Bill know plus Micky Beesley.

Seems there was no news of it before on the internet, we were informed today by Spud (Gary used to do a bit of scouting for him)

Such sad news, many of us grew up watching that iconic Best-Moore-Garner forward line (and I don't think there has ever been a better Roots Hall striker combo) and it was a hope at one point that we'd get all three back to Roots Hall, what a reception that would have been.

A few Gary pics up on the SUEPA Facebook page

RIP Gary, forever a Shrimper
I am eternally grateful to Andrew for his phone call yesterday afternoon regarding the very sad passing of my good friend Gary Moore prior to it's release on Shrimperzone.
I had the pleasure of knowing Gary for over 50+years and he was part of the team that still to this day is my favourite time for being a shrimpers fan and along with other players from that time always looked out for us supporters back in those days.
Although I had not seen Gary for many years we were reunited back in 2008 when both Gary and Billy Best returned to Roots Hall for the Cup tie against Luton Town some 40 after their famous goal scoring exploits against both Kings Lynn & Brentwood Town and from that day we remained in contact until yesterday when the sad news came through.
Gary was a very private person in life but was delighted when I asked him to become an early member of SUEPA back in 2018 although I had to give him a bit of a nudge at the time. Gary would always call me after receiving his latest SUEPA newsletter (as he did not have a computer) to discuss it and talk about all things Southend United. I would also call him from time to time especially while Covid was about as he was on his own although he had moved back to Sunderland to be close to his daughter Jenna, I was also fully aware that the Gary was not in the best of health but it was still such a shock when I was given the very sad news yesterday afternoon.
Football is always about opinions and on reading the posts today about Gary it is amazing the amount of people who remembered the same thing about him, the miss from about 6" at the North Bank against Newport County in about 1970?, the goal or not at goal at Brentford when it went through the side of the net or not? and on this very day some 50 years ago punching the ball into the Aston Villa goal to name just a few. But having spoken to both Mike Beesley and Billy Best yesterday before the news was made public their love and affection for the big man was plain to see as Billy said himself without Gary Moore my goals tally would have been significantly reduced for sure.
Whilst also speaking with Mike yesterday he told me the story of how Ernie Shepherd asked him to tap Gary up over a move to Roots Hall back on the 28th.Sept.'68 when Blues played in a goalless draw at Blundell Park. Mike who was playing at centre-half that day was marking Gary who was playing centre-forward, there was a clash of heads and while they were both receiving treatment Mike popped the question and just over a month later Gary signed for the club. (Blimey! players being tapped up even back then).
To finish with having posted the SUEPA's post onto my F/B page yesterday I had this rather touching tribute from Gary's former team mate Bill Garner which I wanted to share with everyone on SZ:- Such sad news to hear about Gary. He was a fantastic player for Southend United. He was a good friend and when I played alongside him he helped me so much. Every player in the team respected him for the way he conducted himself. Gary made it possible for me to get the opportunity to move to Chelsea because of his unselfish attitude. God bless you Gary.
I will certainly miss talking to Gary but without doubt his legacy will forever be etched on my mind as we often recalled the many happy memories we shared back in the late 60's and early 70's. Gone but certainly NEVER forgotten. #Rest in Peace "Big Man".

I am eternally grateful to Andrew for his phone call yesterday afternoon regarding the very sad passing of my good friend Gary Moore prior to it's release on Shrimperzone.
I had the pleasure of knowing Gary for over 50+years and he was part of the team that still to this day is my favourite time for being a shrimpers fan and along with other players from that time always looked out for us supporters back in those days.
Although I had not seen Gary for many years we were reunited back in 2008 when both Gary and Billy Best returned to Roots Hall for the Cup tie against Luton Town some 40 after their famous goal scoring exploits against both Kings Lynn & Brentwood Town and from that day we remained in contact until yesterday when the sad news came through.
Gary was a very private person in life but was delighted when I asked him to become an early member of SUEPA back in 2018 although I had to give him a bit of a nudge at the time. Gary would always call me after receiving his latest SUEPA newsletter (as he did not have a computer) to discuss it and talk about all things Southend United. I would also call him from time to time especially while Covid was about as he was on his own although he had moved back to Sunderland to be close to his daughter Jenna, I was also fully aware that the Gary was not in the best of health but it was still such a shock when I was given the very sad news yesterday afternoon.
Football is always about opinions and on reading the posts today about Gary it is amazing the amount of people who remembered the same thing about him, the miss from about 6" at the North Bank against Newport County in about 1970?, the goal or not at goal at Brentford when it went through the side of the net or not? and on this very day some 50 years ago punching the ball into the Aston Villa goal to name just a few. But having spoken to both Mike Beesley and Billy Best yesterday before the news was made public their love and affection for the big man was plain to see as Billy said himself without Gary Moore my goals tally would have been significantly reduced for sure.
Whilst also speaking with Mike yesterday he told me the story of how Ernie Shepherd asked him to tap Gary up over a move to Roots Hall back on the 28th.Sept.'68 when Blues played in a goalless draw at Blundell Park. Mike who was playing at centre-half that day was marking Gary who was playing centre-forward, there was a clash of heads and while they were both receiving treatment Mike popped the question and just over a month later Gary signed for the club. (Blimey! players being tapped up even back then).
To finish with having posted the SUEPA's post onto my F/B page yesterday I had this rather touching tribute from Gary's former team mate Bill Garner which I wanted to share with everyone on SZ:- Such sad news to hear about Gary. He was a fantastic player for Southend United. He was a good friend and when I played alongside him he helped me so much. Every player in the team respected him for the way he conducted himself. Gary made it possible for me to get the opportunity to move to Chelsea because of his unselfish attitude. God bless you Gary.
I will certainly miss talking to Gary but without doubt his legacy will forever be etched on my mind as we often recalled the many happy memories we shared back in the late 60's and early 70's. Gone but certainly NEVER forgotten. #Rest in Peace "Big Man".
A great read B B The Legend Lives on .

Great read Dave, Gary was one of my favourite players along with Billy as you know. Please see my PM to you.

It seems like one of your best friends has passed away and very sad.

Gary was a very talented footballer - of course we think of him as the big centre forward, but particularly when we had Bill Garner as well as him and Billy he would often play as the inside forward/ midfielder. It's when you look back at results you realise how badly we did when he wasn't playing.

He of course started his career at Sunderland making his debut for them, in the First Division in April 1965 aged 19. His team mates there included Mel Slack and Dave Elliot. In 1965/656 he played 9 times for their first team which now included Jim Baxter. After more 3 games in 1966/67 he joined Grimsby in Feb 67 in the Third Division. They got relegated the next season and after 52 games and 15 goals, he joined us making his debut on his birthday Nov 4 1968 . He was the big centre forward we had been craving and replaced a different kind of footballer Andy Smillie who had left for Gillingham.

After missing out on promotion in 1967/68 we had started 68/9 paying brilliantly or dismally. He started well and filled his boots in the matches against Kings Lynn and Brentwood playing in all the games in that season ending with 21 goals in 34 games.
However defensively we conceded far too many goals.

69/70 was a bit of a struggle with Billy Best getting injured early in the season and missing a number of games. We also signed BIll Garner in November 69 but never got the best out of the three of them. Gary only scored 10 goals in 37 appearances

70 /71 was not a good year for the Blues, or Gary who suffered with injuries ( I think he broke a knee cap) and he only played 12 games scoring 5 goals. He did get fit by the end of the season though

Of course 71/72 is the season it all came good - Gary was fully fit again - there were 6 games he didn't start - we only won one of them. He spent a lot of time playing behind Bill and Billy in midfield rather than as the centre forward. He still weighed in with 9 goals though as BIll and Billy got 46 between them.

72/73 back in division 3 Bill Garner left and Chris Guthrie -another tall centre forward joined. Another 9 goals for Gary from 9 appearances. There was however this conflict with Arthur Rowley who I think wanted the two big men up front and BIlly Best playing behind which led to Billy leaving.

73/74 - Without Billy Best - the team struggled and Gary was made the scapegoat as he was replaced by Stuart Brace. He showed he could still do it after going on loan to Colchester getting 7 goals in 11.

He then moved on to Chester and scored a goal for Chester against Villa in a League Cup semi final finishing with a season at Swansea before injuries finally caught up with him.

Gary was a one of the true legends at Southend and probably didn't get the kudos he deserved. He always gave 100% and showed his versatility playing either as the centre forward or as the play maker.

RIP Gary .

It seems like one of your best friends has passed away and very sad.

Gary was a very talented footballer - of course we think of him as the big centre forward, but particularly when we had Bill Garner as well as him and Billy he would often play as the inside forward/ midfielder. It's when you look back at results you realise how badly we did when he wasn't playing.

He of course started his career at Sunderland making his debut for them, in the First Division in April 1965 aged 19. His team mates there included Mel Slack and Dave Elliot. In 1965/656 he played 9 times for their first team which now included Jim Baxter. After more 3 games in 1966/67 he joined Grimsby in Feb 67 in the Third Division. They got relegated the next season and after 52 games and 15 goals, he joined us making his debut on his birthday Nov 4 1968 . He was the big centre forward we had been craving and replaced a different kind of footballer Andy Smillie who had left for Gillingham.

After missing out on promotion in 1967/68 we had started 68/9 paying brilliantly or dismally. He started well and filled his boots in the matches against Kings Lynn and Brentwood playing in all the games in that season ending with 21 goals in 34 games.
However defensively we conceded far too many goals.

69/70 was a bit of a struggle with Billy Best getting injured early in the season and missing a number of games. We also signed BIll Garner in November 69 but never got the best out of the three of them. Gary only scored 10 goals in 37 appearances

70 /71 was not a good year for the Blues, or Gary who suffered with injuries ( I think he broke a knee cap) and he only played 12 games scoring 5 goals. He did get fit by the end of the season though

Of course 71/72 is the season it all came good - Gary was fully fit again - there were 6 games he didn't start - we only won one of them. He spent a lot of time playing behind Bill and Billy in midfield rather than as the centre forward. He still weighed in with 9 goals though as BIll and Billy got 46 between them.

72/73 back in division 3 Bill Garner left and Chris Guthrie -another tall centre forward joined. Another 9 goals for Gary from 9 appearances. There was however this conflict with Arthur Rowley who I think wanted the two big men up front and BIlly Best playing behind which led to Billy leaving.

73/74 - Without Billy Best - the team struggled and Gary was made the scapegoat as he was replaced by Stuart Brace. He showed he could still do it after going on loan to Colchester getting 7 goals in 11.

He then moved on to Chester and scored a goal for Chester against Villa in a League Cup semi final finishing with a season at Swansea before injuries finally caught up with him.

Gary was a one of the true legends at Southend and probably didn't get the kudos he deserved. He always gave 100% and showed his versatility playing either as the centre forward or as the play maker.

RIP Gary .
Fantastic article Andrew, hope to see you sometime soon.

Speaking to Bill Garner this eve, so many happy memories of Gary's time at Roots Hall. Adding to what Dave mentioned above re Bill's post on his FB page, Bill said that when he first arrived at Roots Hall he wasn't as fit as he needed to be for league football (we signed Bill from Bedford) so Gary often did Bill's 'donkey work' for him to start off with, coming back for corners etc whilst Bill stayed up front. Typical of the unselfish attitude of a top player for us.

It is sad that SUEPA was formed a little too late for Gary to have been fit enough for a reunion visit to Roots Hall - resurrecting the 'Best-Moore-Garner' partnership on the pitch one more time was always a hope I was destined not to achieve. However, plans are now in the very early stages for trying to do something later in the season at Roots Hall in fitting tribute, will let all know as and when we can get something sorted.

I too was a big fan of Gary and apart from his goals and fantastic partnership with Billy Best, one of my lasting memories was not one of his goals but of the shot he had late in the match at Mansfield in the 4th round of the 1968/69 FA cup. We were 2-1 down and Gary's shot from about 20 yards out had the keeper completely beaten but to our huge disappointment it rattled the crossbar and was cleared.

Those were the days when we all felt a close affinity with not only the club but the players too. RIP Gary, the memories shared in this thread alone are testimony to how much you were loved and respected by those of us lucky enough to have witnessed your time as a Shrimper.

So sad to hear of the passing of another of my teenage heroes. If only we could recapture the amazing atmosphere of Friday-night football at Roots Hall in Gary's time! A friend of mine, who was a Sunderland supporter, told me that Gary was known as "The Brainbox" when he played for them because he had lots of O Levels. The last time I saw Gary was in his shop (was it in Hamlet Court Road, I can't remember?) in the 1970s. It's particularly heartwarming to read of the lasting respect for Gary from the other two members of the great Best-Garner-Moore front line.

Last edited:
So sad to hear of the passing of another of my teenage heroes. If only we could recapture the amazing atmosphere of Friday-night football at Roots Hall in Gary's time! A friend of mine, who was a Sunderland supporter, told me that Gary was known as "The Brainbox" when he played for them because he had lots of O Levels. The last time I saw Gary was in his shop (was it in Hamlet Court Road, I can't remember?) In the 1970s. It's paricularly heartwarming to read of the lasting respect for Gary from the other two members of the great Best-Garner-Moore front line.
It was and I think Alan Gemmell ( x Wentworth High School, who later played for Spurs) and Spud were involved somewhere with it. Ray White also had a sports shop or two about town.

I was very sad to hear that former player Gary Moore passed away a couple of days ago.

Billy Best would of been lost without him on the pitch and knows how much he added to their fantastic partnership. :Sad:

R.I.P Gary.
Condolences to Gary's family and friends. RIP Gary

I intend to send some condolence flowers up to Gary's daughter Jenna on behalf of his fans and The Zone members. I have kindly asked @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset to hopefully get me her address through Spud.

If anybody wants to chip in please let me know in this thread.

Thanks guy's

John.
Please put me down to donate and let me know what you are looking for re the amount

Back