• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Southend United boss Kevin Maher on his pursuit of new signings - and other 2022 rumours or inside info

Read somewhere Wood is a John Still find and he's very highly rated. Quite a coup by all accounts.

Correct, however he has been watched by more than just John Still. Like all of our targets, and signings, they’ve been watched numerous times and by numerous members of our footballing department be it Still and his band of scouts, Kev, Benno, Currie, Collymore etc.

The feeling amongst them, and especially John Still’s, is he has everything to make it to the very top.

Potentially, this COULD be the best signing of the lot.

Correct, however he has been watched by more than just John Still. Like all of our targets, and signings, they’ve been watched numerous times and by numerous members of our footballing department be it Still and his band of scouts, Kev, Benno, Currie, Collymore etc.

The feeling amongst them, and especially John Still’s, is he has everything to make it to the very top.

Do we know where he might fit into the current system? Sounds like he's more of a number 10, do we see him playing in the middle as part of a two or similar to Husin's role on Tuesday as a 10 behind two strikers?

Has someone at the club found a magic money tree.Signing players at a decent age for money and on 2.5 year deals is amazing.

I think a little bit of wee just came out

Has someone at the club found a magic money tree.Signing players at a decent age for money and on 2.5 year deals is amazing.

I’m not privy to the full ins and outs of these deals, but we haven’t spent a huge amount of money on any of these signings.

From what I gather, the new lads, and JW when he is announced, with the clauses/add ons/extras etc (assuming we hit everything), will still come in cheaper than Wrexham signing Palmer. Also, I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see us line up against some of these sides in pre-seasons going forward.

Do we know where he might fit into the current system? Sounds like he's more of a number 10, do we see him playing in the middle as part of a two or similar to Husin's role on Tuesday as a 10 behind two strikers?

I think everyone is reading too much into the current 3-4-3, I think that is the best option with the players we had available when that came in. Just like the 3-5-2 was at one stage.

We have players capable of playing in multiple positions, in multiple systems, and multiple styles of play.

I think we’ll see different systems when Kev has the full squad he wants. You might see 3-4-3, you might see 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2.

We seem to be following the Accrington model, finding young players on the up looking for a chance at the pro game, plus a few others who've been there before, ended up back in non-league for some reason or other but with talent and a point to prove. Best of all, they all come cheap, none of your 30-something £5000 per week, constantly injured & can't be bothered when they're not type players. Its truly frightening how much money we've thrown away in recent years. And look where Accy are now. Works for them.

The club is finally being run the way it should,and these new younger players are exactly what we need for a late play-off push this season or a title push next

Last edited:
Colin Ndi age 18

Shaun Hobson age 22

Tom Clifford age 22

Ollie Kensdale age 21

Leon Davies age 22

Jack Wood age 19

Nur Husin age 24

Louis Walsh age 20

Matt Rush age 20

Sam Dalby age 22

Harry Cardwell age 25

Then there are the old boys, Ralph 28, Bridge 26, Ferguson 26, Powell 26 !!

Bring them close together most on 2 plus years contracts and watch em grow

Better than my allotment this !!

What a difference a year makes, this January to last January are like chalk and cheese!!!

Last year after January, we brought in Holmes, Ranger and Mellis (average age = 30.7). From their 670 minutes of football (635 of those from Holmes), they produced 0 goals and 2 assists.

This year in January, we brought in Powell, Wood and Cardwell (average age = 23.3). Cardwell has played 180 minutes and already scored.

Back