• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Yeah, I thought he had a crap game today, not fit and not at all vocal.
It be a few years believe me , and I was shot down for being mid table prediction for this season yet again we are out. Muscled and light up front

“The manager is poor and so is the whole backroom” Jesus f***ing Christ some of our fan base never fails to shock me. Get a grip.
Not sure why you quote my post in this, I have said absolutely nothing about the management.

OMG sometimes I wonder what people really expect. Some of the comments on here you would think we were already relegated 🤦🏼‍♂️ one game in judge after 10 pleeeaaaase 🤷

We are a non league team and we have to battle against disgusting disgraceful opposition like BW, if I supported them I wouldn't pay money to watch that shameful excuse for football every week, I would seriously rather be relegated than take my Grandson to watch that horrific dross.

Very early days and the fab 3 will get us there, keep the faith UTB 💙
your views are respected but out of interest @wiggy who would you play where from the huge choice we have ?
From the spiel we were fed, anyone from the book of targets would have done. A very reliable player in his prime but that has gone. Today showed that very little has changed since Phil and the managers style doesn’t exactly give me confidence. All summer he has had to work on this and we still look very weak and bereft of attacking ideas and forwards. Expected far better from the bullish ramblings but looking further than today can see no better than last year!

From the spiel we were fed, anyone from the book of targets would have done. A very reliable player in his prime but that has gone. Today showed that very little has changed since Phil and the managers style doesn’t exactly give me confidence. All summer he has had to work on this and we still look very weak and bereft of attacking ideas and forwards. Expected far better from the bullish ramblings but looking further than today can see no better than last year!
Trouble is, as I said to someone else behind us today, we've spent all of pre-season with Sam Dalby firmly in place as our lead striker, then he's been taken away so close to the start of the season. Until we learn to cover or find cover for him, I fear it's going to be tough.

Defensively, I thought we did well today. Steve hardly had a shot to save. Ray (Yes I know it's Wreh) shows some very good stuff, and some very bad stuff. He will have to improve a lot, and I think he will. We improved a lot the second half before the sending's off. Maher is definitely the Manager to lead us out of this League, but I do wish he wouldn't spend the whole game berating officials and in the 4th officials earhole. It's getting worse. He even berates them when he's 100% in the wrong. It's the first game.... A lot of corners were wasted today. That has to be worked on. Bridgy wasn't at the races today. We will improve attacking wise. We will be much better when the injured players are fully fit. I predict even wiggy might find something positive to say by the half way stage of the season.

Awful. Just dreadful. Until KM at least tries a good old fashioned 4-4-2, and let's the player's have a go, it'll forever be mid table mediocrity for us. But I don't think he will. He seems to love a 3-5-2, a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3. It's negative, try not to lose football. When we go behind, we're in big trouble! It clearly doesn't work. 🤷‍♂️

I wish I was as perceptive as so many of the posters on here. I should have known the season was over after one game. After all we have spent the summer recruiting rubbish players who have made no improvement to the squad. Then you have to realise we have a management team who have no idea whatsoever. I have to apologise I made the mistake of thinking KM had identify where we still needed to improve and was working to bring players in.
I stupidly then considered the fact that the starting eleven would have been different if we had no injuries to contented with. Yes the season is a total write off already. Let's just call it a day and can the last one to leave please turn the light off!

Yes today was awful and about the only player to rate more than a 6 was Miley, but let's put some perspective here:

Most of pre-season was planned with Dalby up front. A hold up, back to goal type of player.

Dalby leaves.

Hyde is in and the preceding week in training is no doubt about how to play with Hyde up front - an experienced and tough NL forward who can lead a line on his own and give it out physically.

8 minutes in and Hyde is injured. On comes Wreh, a lad totally not suited to leading the line on his own, a lad who is inexperienced and who needed a partner. All the previous weeks of planning go out the window and we have no one on the bench who can slot in to the Hyde role. We huffed and puffed but looked very average but let's give the Management Team a break as this team was not of their first choice.

Having said that I thought that Clifford and Hussin were really poor today.

I wish I was as perceptive as so many of the posters on here. I should have known the season was over after one game. After all we have spent the summer recruiting rubbish players who have made no improvement to the squad. Then you have to realise we have a management team who have no idea whatsoever. I have to apologise I made the mistake of thinking KM had identify where we still needed to improve and was working to bring players in.
I stupidly then considered the fact that the starting eleven would have been different if we had no injuries to contented with. Yes the season is a total write off already. Let's just call it a day and can the last one to leave please turn the light off!
Open your eyes and see that the players out there today are negative and weak…,why would it improve with 3 strikers that are complete sick notes rarely available .
Powell is one of the better ones but will he ever have an end product?….Bridge you never know what your going to get, world beater or passenger, sorry, far better teams in this division!

Trouble is, as I said to someone else behind us today, we've spent all of pre-season with Sam Dalby firmly in place as our lead striker, then he's been taken away so close to the start of the season. Until we learn to cover or find cover for him, I fear it's going to be tough.
Agree with that, i get the impression the three amigos have laid out solid game plans and indeed the formation with dalby as a large part of it, he's gone and that link has made their strategy fall apart a week before the season starts. They need to adapt quickly.

We had plenty of opportunity to get the ball into the box and create a chance. Instead we continually wasted time playing pass the parcel out on the wing or backwards. Even with 7 minutes extra time we failed to go direct and put it into the danger area. Only Powell was prepared to get a shot off.
I hope they spend the week training by crossing the ball and attacking the goal. We need to create goal scoring opportunities! From those come a goal!
That said Borehamwood were a big team of big crunchers who were happy to try and cheat and foul. A poor ref allowed that to happen early on.
Not all bad, but I can't believe this was the same team who looked so good at Colchester.
I'd like to see us turn it around by the 20th and maybe Sammy the Shrimp will end up jacking off on the touchline.

Awful. Just dreadful. Until KM at least tries a good old fashioned 4-4-2, and let's the player's have a go, it'll forever be mid table mediocrity for us. But I don't think he will. He seems to love a 3-5-2, a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3. It's negative, try not to lose football. When we go behind, we're in big trouble! It clearly doesn't work. 🤷‍♂️
I don't know why so many people on SZ seem to think 4-4-2 is a magic formation, it was popular until someone noticed that if you stuck an extra man in midfield then you could mark the opposition midfielders out of the game with ease. In general it only works with long ball or counter attacking football now, neither of which we want to do.

Back