• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Support The Team Not The Regime! New update 24/11

Not at all. Gillingham have just been taken over by a billionaire.

Walsall were also recently taken over by very rich American owners

Both these clubs have smaller average attendances than us over the past few years!
Gillingham's new chairman is not a billionaire

Think Ron’s missing a trick not releasing his memoir. I’d buy it to find out what the f*** has been going on…

You just proved my point.
Did I? You’ve not answered my question. What will a protest persuade Ron to do that he won’t do anyway? I haven’t seen this answered on here, apart from ‘well we’ve got to do something..’ .. you think protests will force Ron to sell? Pay the staff? Genuinely curious.

Both these clubs have smaller average attendances than us over the past few years!
I was quite shocked by Gillingham's attendance on Boxing Day - especially as they've just had the good news about the new owner. Less than 5000 against Col Ewe (who brought less than 500, even though BBC Essex were going on about how magnificent that number following them was!).

Just underlines the potential for our club with its fantastic loyal fanbase.

Your right the wealthy overseas buyers are buying clubs in the lower leagues but as previous posters have put Martin valuation of sufc is pretty ridiculous. Thats the main issue unfortunately.
I understand that but if the development was part of the deal and Ron is made a very decent offer then it’s certainly a possibility considering Ron’s apparent ill health and his age.

It remains to be seen if they're takeovers for better or worse.

Out of interest any links to what the new owners have actually bought - eg just the club or stadiums other assets? And what the motivations of the new owners are?

Last edited:
It remains to be scene if they're takeovers for better or worse.

Out of interest any links to what the new owners have actually bought - eg just the club or stadiums other assets? And what the motivations of the new owners are?
I do agree you don't know who is round the corner but having lived through Martin poor running of sufc I'm ready to twist. Martin will sell up once FF is built so I will get my wish in the end.

Did I? You’ve not answered my question. What will a protest persuade Ron to do that he won’t do anyway? I haven’t seen this answered on here, apart from ‘well we’ve got to do something..’ .. you think protests will force Ron to sell? Pay the staff? Genuinely curious.
I thought I had made it clear that exposure in the media is one of the ways forward to focus attention on Martin's various actions that have brought the club to its knees. A protest at the ground in sufficient numbers would achieve that, but apathy or even worse, that what good will it do attitude will probably rule the day. I outlined other suggestions in a previous post, there is plenty to be done. Scrutiny of his affairs by the media plus investigation by the National League executive is necessary to bring some clarity to the years of evasion and obfuscation that have made the club a basket case.

Gillinghams new owner is worth $80-100m.

Walsall is owned by an investment group who want to get a multi-club set up. Walsall will be used as a club to develop players for their other clubs rather than focusing on Walsall going forward (bit like City are doing but in this case Walsall are one of the smaller teams).

Its also not about attendances. If it was Bradford would be in the Championship, Sunderland would be fighting for European places and Wigan would be in League Two. Its about location, cost of living in the area, future prospects, current situations, value, availability and tons more. Also pretty sure Walsall have a bigger population local to them that what we do too albeit they have some big clubs near them.

I thought I had made it clear that exposure in the media is one of the ways forward to focus attention on Martin's various actions that have brought the club to its knees. A protest at the ground in sufficient numbers would achieve that, but apathy or even worse, that what good will it do attitude will probably rule the day. I outlined other suggestions in a previous post, there is plenty to be done. Scrutiny of his affairs by the media plus investigation by the National League executive is necessary to bring some clarity to the years of evasion and obfuscation that have made the club a basket case.
Ok so it’s about media attention. Gotcha.

It’s not apathy it’s picking battles - as mentioned. Disrupting a game and entering the field of play isn’t the only option. That’ll maybe even suit Ron, as it’s smoke and mirrors .. and if it turns ugly, the focus will be on the fans. Not to mention the knock on effect it might have on the players. It also won’t make a jot of difference to what happens off the field.

Ok so it’s about media attention. Gotcha.

It’s not apathy it’s picking battles - as mentioned. Disrupting a game and entering the field of play isn’t the only option. That’ll maybe even suit Ron nicely, as it’s smoke and mirrors .. and if it turns ugly, the focus will be on the fans. Not to mention the knock on effect it might have on the players.
Yes, exactly, which is why the National League need to look into the situation and why an investigative journalist like David Conn should be contacted by a representative of one of the supporters' groups. Your comment about possible effect on players was one of my predictions as an excuse for doing nothing.

Thought I'd take a quick look at our next opponents accounts - see if it is as easy to run a profitable club as some on here think....

Bromley FC (95) Ltd accounts for year ending 31 Dec 21. Some highlights....

Revenue - £1.7m up from £1.4n in 2020
Operating Profit - Loss of £850k up from loss of £125k in 2020
No of Staff 28 (!!!) down from 30 in 2020

As a small company it doesn't have to provide much commentary on the year. But it's parent company had this paragraph

1672416067504.png

Yes, exactly, which is why the National League need to look into the situation and why an investigative journalist like David Conn should be contacted by a representative of one of the supporters' groups. Your comment about possible effect on players was one of my predictions as an excuse for doing nothing.
Why does a supporters group need to contact David Conn - why not you?

How do you know the NL haven't looked, or aren't looking? By slapping an embargo on they're certainly aware.

Gillinghams new owner is worth $80-100m.

Walsall is owned by an investment group who want to get a multi-club set up. Walsall will be used as a club to develop players for their other clubs rather than focusing on Walsall going forward (bit like City are doing but in this case Walsall are one of the smaller teams).

Its also not about attendances. If it was Bradford would be in the Championship, Sunderland would be fighting for European places and Wigan would be in League Two. Its about location, cost of living in the area, future prospects, current situations, value, availability and tons more. Also pretty sure Walsall have a bigger population local to them that what we do too albeit they have some big clubs near them.
I thought I read the Gillingham owner was a billionaire so if he isn’t then my mistake, however he’s still worth a considerable amount of money

I’m not suggesting it is about attendances, I was trying to point out that clubs less attractive than us are currently being bought.

Fans will say we aren’t an attractive club to buy, no one will buy us and Ron won’t sell now his dream is closer than ever. I disagree, we are a very attractive proposition,

We have a very large catchment area
Amazing support both home and away
The FF development (if included in the sale of the club would make us even more attractive)

With Ron’s bad health now would be the right time to sell where both parties would be happy

It’s a valid ‘excuse’ for not running onto the field of play unfurling banners and being confrontational..

Why does a supporters group need to contact David Conn - why not you?

How do you know the NL haven't looked, or aren't looking? By slapping an embargo on they're certainly aware.
Because an official request might carry more weight don't you think?
Secondly, the embargo was in response to a particular situation. There is a lot more than that for the NL to look into.

Back