• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Support The Team Not The Regime! New update 24/11

Smiffy I think my position is clear not only from my shrimperzone posts but also my long long bloody long time as a supporter and on various committees etc. Southend United is and always has been to a greater or less extent a financial basket case propped up usually by well meaning people putting their hands in their pockets. Success has been elusive except in the last 30 years. When I was a kid we were ****e but it was our ****e so fine.
And so to Ron. Let's leave it to Tom to make a statement. We lose 1.4 million a year and have done for years and the shortfall is made up by Ron's companies. Patrick Van Der Waag ( I haven't checked the spelling) says Ron has put in over 30 million to keep the club afloat. OK borrowed money but money none the less. Ron has never said he was not a property developer and that he wanted to develop B&L and Roots Hall. Alarm bells rang very loudly when big players like Delancey could not see the sort of profit they would expect from the development and bailed out. So we were left with a small one man band. Not looking too promising especially as Ron had a reputation for not paying his bills. BTW I think it's disgusting that some staff are paid late.
So if the current plans go forward we have
State of the art training pitches now completed by an industry leader in the field just waiting for the grass to grow - done and dusted. A massive improvement on B&L.
Plans approved for a new stadium which if built will enable the club to be self financing without the need for a well meaning patron willing to subsidise our pleasure. Not me saying this but Tom.
The housing element. Not to be sniffed at in this day and age
I may or may not like Ron Martin. I certainly don't like some of his business practices, and the late paying of staff but there is perspective to be had. We need to keep our nerve. And probably pray if that's your thing.

Smiffy I think my position is clear not only from my shrimperzone posts but also my long long bloody long time as a supporter and on various committees etc. Southend United is and always has been to a greater or less extent a financial basket case propped up usually by well meaning people putting their hands in their pockets. Success has been elusive except in the last 30 years. When I was a kid we were ****e but it was our ****e so fine.
And so to Ron. Let's leave it to Tom to make a statement. We lose 1.4 million a year and have done for years and the shortfall is made up by Ron's companies. Patrick Van Der Waag ( I haven't checked the spelling) says Ron has put in over 30 million to keep the club afloat. OK borrowed money but money none the less. Ron has never said he was not a property developer and that he wanted to develop B&L and Roots Hall. Alarm bells rang very loudly when big players like Delancey could not see the sort of profit they would expect from the development and bailed out. So we were left with a small one man band. Not looking too promising especially as Ron had a reputation for not paying his bills. BTW I think it's disgusting that some staff are paid late.
State of the art training pitches now completed by an industry leader in the field just waiting for the grass to grow - done and dusted. A massive improvement on B&L.
Plans approved for a new stadium which if built will enable the club to be self financing without the need for a well meaning patron willing to subsidise our pleasure. Not me saying this but Tom.
I may or may not like Ron Martin. I certainly don't like some of his business practices, and the late paying of staff but there is perspective to be had. We need to keep our nerve. And probably pray if that's your thing.
Great Post don't let the doom and gloom brigade try and bully you off the forum.
Your one of the few guys on here who isn't doom and gloom all the time..

Great Post don't let the doom and gloom brigade try and bully you off the forum.
Your one of the few guys on here who isn't doom and gloom all the time..
Thanks. I do understand their anxiety. I feel it too and will be so disappointed if the stadium does not come off. I'm old enough to remember the players running off the pitch avoiding the cushions from the disgruntled east stand fans. They were leather with limited padding and must have hurt if they landed. Shrimperzone at times is a bit like that. Being old (69) and nearer the end than the beginning I've found I'm a lot more optimistic than I ever was as an adult. A bit like the character in the fast show who keeps saying "isn't it great etc". I'm also seriously into a fitness regime as I'm determined to sit in the new ground. I think people thought I was joking about this but I'm not.

What is the point of this, what is is looking to achieve?

Ron's going nowhere. The end game is within sight.
That’s is why people want to do it- wait any longer then the “opportunity” will be missed.

We have many many times discussed that the time to protest is before or after games. But it’s Groundhog Day again. A minority think running on the pitch with a banner is the answer. I would say most would beg to differ.

The idea of a walk out with people already in their seats mid game is a recipe for a lot of angry fans (unfortunately directed at those standing up and trying to get out past those already seated and trying to watch the game….think how that works…trying to get past seated people down the rows..some you tread on ….some stand up, some don’t…no doubt pushing and shoving ensues…).

If staff remain unpaid by then I can understand the idea of protesting before or after the game. If they have been paid then I think we are at least a month too late. Regrettably.

He could put us in a top, state of the art modern stadium and still be a **** in my eyes.

I think a better way to get pressure and publicity would be to throw tennis balls with 'Martin Out' written on them onto the pitch to delay the game. Could do this at 19 mins 6 seconds (1906) as well.

Far less likely to result in stadium bans and will be nothing more than a huge inconvenience to make a big point.
Guarantee some moron will hit one of the opposition players who will go down like a sack of spuds….. (imagine if it was against Woking!! the whole team and manager would go down clutching their heads) and all the headlines in the Mail will be about football hooliganism and with a nice big fine from the National League…

That’s is why people want to do it- wait any longer then the “opportunity” will be missed.

We have many many times discussed that the time to protest is before or after games. But it’s Groundhog Day again. A minority think running on the pitch with a banner is the answer. I would say most would beg to differ.

The idea of a walk out with people already in their seats mid game is a recipe for a lot of angry fans (unfortunately directed at those standing up and trying to get out past those already seated and trying to watch the game….think how that works…trying to get past seated people down the rows..some you tread on ….some stand up, some don’t…no doubt pushing and shoving ensues…).

If staff remain unpaid by then I can understand the idea of protesting before or after the game. If they have been paid then I think we are at least a month too late. Regrettably.
The club is cursed because if we stage a walk out I bet we go 3-0 up early on and playing superb football and nobody will want to leave 😂

Very good post 👏🏻

The club is cursed because if we stage a walk out I bet we go 3-0 up early on and playing superb football and nobody will want to leave 😂
Didn’t we score when the protestors with the sign were on the pitch against Chesterfield?

Actually I think if Ron pulls it off he might go down as the greatest chairman in the history of the club. I know it's hardly an illustrious list (apart from Bill Rubin and Frank Walton) but there you go.
I had to read this post 3 times before I realised you were actually serious.

So the greatest chairman in our history has so far done the following,

Doesn’t pay his staff
20 odd winding up orders
More transfer embargo’s than most clubs combined
Relegation out of the football league for the first time in our history
Sacked one of the best groundsman in the lower leagues
Doesn’t pay suppliers
Haven’t filed any company accounts for 3 years.
On the brink of going out of business.
Risked the clubs existence for his own personal fortune

And for what? A three sided stadium that we won’t own, with most of the large non match day revenue streams that was promised now removed and then Ron will charge rent to the club for playing in a stadium crammed into a huge housing estate.

Does that sound like the greatest chairman in our history? Honestly, absolutely clueless!

Even if the whole crowd went on the pitch, he will still see it out until he cashes in. From what I'm told, he's like an immovable object once he's taken a stance. Protests are pointless. They will shine light on the problem, but not change the problem. All he will do is avoid going to games. And by the way, I did the Vic Jobson protests. I even stormed into his office at Roots Hall, (I bet I was the only fan to do that)when people were terrified of him, and swore at him. It didn't go as planned as he told me what state the club was in, and things he had done and was doing, and we ended up shaking hands. Lol.

Last edited:
I had to read this post 3 times before I realised you were actually serious.

So the greatest chairman in our history has so far done the following,

Doesn’t pay his staff
20 odd winding up orders
More transfer embargo’s than most clubs combined
Relegation out of the football league for the first time in our history
Sacked one of the best groundsman in the lower leagues
Doesn’t pay suppliers
On the brink of going out of business.
Risked the clubs existence for his own personal fortune

And for what? A three sided stadium that we won’t own, with most of the large non match day revenue streams that was promised now removed and then Ron will charge rent to the club for playing in a stadium crammed into a huge housing estate.

Does that sound like the greatest chairman in our history? Honestly, absolutely clueless!
All opinions on here are equal. Calling someone clueless doesn't change that fact.

Actually I think if Ron pulls it off he might go down as the greatest chairman in the history of the club. I know it's hardly an illustrious list (apart from Bill Rubin and Frank Walton) but there you go.
I get what you mean but it reminds me of a quote by a Guardian columnist who described Margaret Thatcher’s economic policy as throwing the UK off a cliff and waiting for it to limp back to the top.

Back