• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours SUFC up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue that some fans have with West Ham has confused me for nearly 50 years.

In that time we have maybe played them 3 times competitively? Anyone who views them as rivals is quite frankly deluded.
Agreed it is a bit odd. The only thing I can put it down to is the number of West Ham fans there used to be in Southend (and still are to an extent), plus many families will have older members who are West Ham fans (like my Dad). It surely can’t be anything remotely connected to anything that’s happened on the pitch.

I don’t think it is so much the fact that Ray Winstone supports West Ham that concerns people (I assume Kevin Maher supports another club, even Tilly supported Leeds). It is more that he is somewhat of a caricature that a lot of people in this area find cringeworthy (cockney east end type). If we are a city with our own identity I would prefer our club not to be presented in this way.

Ultimately though it will be great to see the back of Ron after all these years of misery, hopefully this will be the start of a new era which will lead to our return back to the EFL.

The club shop they opened in town, the deliberate targeting of advertising to households in the area, the fact their reserve team played at Roots Hall.

And all that without mentioning the hordes of arrogant plastic cockneys in our town who jump on a train to East London every other week in their horrible claret and blue who belittle and take the p*** out of the club of the town they live in.

Very little history between us on the pitch but I still hate W**t H*m with an absolute passion.

Agreed it is a bit odd. The only thing I can put it down to is the number of West Ham fans there used to be in Southend (and still are to an extent), plus many families will have older members who are West Ham fans (like my Dad). It surely can’t be anything remotely connected to anything that’s happened on the pitch.
For me it was the time when we were in the championship (old division 1) and working in Southend. Soooo many arrogant spammers at work giving it the big one. Oh how I enjoyed THAT match. Collymore cross to Angel. Just delicious.
So it was the local wet spam fans that fueled my dislike of them to this day.

For years it’s been “anyone but Ron, anyone but Ron”.

Now we have a West Ham fan attached to a consortium, people are questioning it?

Get to ****. Just be happy that change is happening. I’d rather see Ray Winstone parading around the pitch before the first KO of the new season, completely decked out in claret and blue, rather than see Martin slithering into his seat in the Directors Box.
A ducking men brother 🙏🏻

This issue that some fans have with West Ham has confused me for nearly 50 years.

In that time we have maybe played them 3 times competitively? Anyone who views them as rivals is quite frankly deluded.
We are competing for supporters.

If people in Southend want to watch live football their choice tends to be Southend or W*** H**. That makes us rivals.

We don’t compete for supporters with Col Ewe or Orient.

So it is now down to ron .If he has a shread of decency he will take the offer on the table .Its the right thing to do now for the sake of the club .He must know that if he welches on this deal .Them he would destroy the club he says he loves .Please Ron take the offer and go NOW .

The club shop they opened in town, the deliberate targeting of advertising to households in the area, the fact their reserve team played at Roots Hall.

And all that without mentioning the hordes of arrogant plastic cockneys in our town who jump on a train to East London every other week in their horrible claret and blue who belittle and take the p*** out of the club of the town they live in.

Very little history between us on the pitch but I still hate W**t H*m with an absolute passion.
With you there. Even joked I'd buy a season ticket at West ham if we folded - in the away end! There's not a club in the land I wouldn't support against West ham (including Colchester)

To clarify though, that doesn’t mean I’m against this takeover just because Ray Winstone is involved. I don’t LIKE the idea of such a caricature cockney being the public face of the club but it’s far less embarrassing than the fact we are at the High Court facing winding up orders every few weeks.

And as moral dilemmas go it’s hardly like being taken over by a murderous, human rights abusing regime and having to square that with your conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back