• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Kidderminster Harriers 1-2 Southend United

I definitely feel the whole club has reunited in our collective determination to get Ron out helped of course by the battling, backs against the wall displays from our team this season.
We’ve really demonstrated what a ****ing amazing fanbase we have when we’re all united under a common cause. This was another against the odds performance, Collin the hero today. So, so proud to be a Shrimper tonight.
Totally agree. The bond between us fans & the players has strengthened both ways, and i met several posters on here at the demos outside 'The Rat's' lair, who before were just names, but now i consider friends.
The depressing winter clouds will hopefully disappear above Roots Hall, & the 'feel good factor' will now create a positive buzz, which will generate an even better atmosphere than the great one we've had so far.
Individual finances obviously dictating, but i'd be surprised if our crowds didn't increase in the new year, although up to now they've been amazing.
A marathon starts with the first step, & i'm confident sooner rather later we're cross the finishing line, & achieve our target of returning to where we belong.

Well, let's be honest, the game was never going to live up to the events just pre-match! In the end I found it quite an entertaining encounter and Kidderminster really weren't that bad a side. As the takeover news stole the game , so did Collin steal the man of the match in the closing minutes, with a number of exceptional saves. Mind you, if Henry hadn't missed a sitter and the referee hadn't forgotten his glasses we wouldn't have been put through that kind of agonising stress at the end of the game.
I had my bottle of champagne a bit prematurely, so I've limited my celebrations to a glass of malt tonight. A triple champagne celebration tomorrow night, Réveillon (Christmas Eve celebration); No bad news from hospital examinations last week; and, of course, for today's news

Attachments

• IMG_20231223_211650.jpg
    IMG_20231223_211650.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 12
What a day. I know long standing fans who had such emotional reactions to last week they had to either walk out of the ground, or shed tears. I saw them all after this game and today they had ‘different’ tears.
I actually thought it was a sloppy performance but, as always, dogged. The support was incredible and Justin Rees was so patient at being mobbed (me included). Three telling things from that, one, he instinctively broke off from well wishers whenever we attacked (sure signs of a football fan).He was my told ‘u don’t realise what this means to us’ ‘err, I think I gathered that today’ and, after the game, when thanked (again) he retorted, ‘don’t thank me, thank Colin the keeper’.
Kidderminster pubs and locals were great,
I think our train is currently held up in the Costwolds somewhere but we do not give a flying fig. We have bottles of red wine, blue cheese and a warm fuzzy feeling in our bellies.
You didn’t jump on the one with steam coming out of the front did you?

How Kidderminster are bottom is baffling, they played much better than Bromley.

Their no.20 and 10 were decent players.

Not the best of performances but this is what you need, play not the best and still get the 3 points.

Collin made some cracking saves! Nice to see Justin in the stands, not quite sure what the guy was doing massaging his shoulders though.

Love Kev pushing Collin out at the end to get an ovation from the fans.

Some over the top Police at the end, batons racked and expecting a kick off.

Amazing atmosphere. No surprise we were a bit off the pace today as we clearly had players who were banged up and running on fumes. We scored at the right times but missed a couple of great chances (and a stonewall pen being turned down) to give us a third and a cushion. Kidderminster were pretty poor, but we let them get to Collin far too easily in the last 15 mins. I thought Collin looked really assured, and had no chance for the first. The saves at the end were unreal.

I really hope this positive atmosphere from the fans can continue as carry us through this season, as it’ll help us win matches when we’re below par, like today. We need to start picking more decent points up away from home if we want to close the gap.

UTBs. Also it was my young son’s 14th Southend game and his first win. Worth the wait

What a day. I know long standing fans who had such emotional reactions to last week they had to either walk out of the ground, or shed tears. I saw them all after this game and today they had ‘different’ tears.
I actually thought it was a sloppy performance but, as always, dogged. The support was incredible and Justin Rees was so patient at being mobbed (me included). Three telling things from that, one, he instinctively broke off from well wishers whenever we attacked (sure signs of a football fan).He was my told ‘u don’t realise what this means to us’ ‘err, I think I gathered that today’ and, after the game, when thanked (again) he retorted, ‘don’t thank me, thank Colin the keeper’.
Kidderminster pubs and locals were great,
I think our train is currently held up in the Costwolds somewhere but we do not give a flying fig. We have bottles of red wine, blue cheese and a warm fuzzy feeling in our bellies.
Good times. We need to enjoy them as fans - we know how long it can be between each of 'the good times'... its fantastic to think we might finally be starting another

Hope any arguments proffered about Collin's kicking and distribution get in the bin after today's game. He was the hardest tasked Southend GK in a long time, possibly since the run of clean sheets he kept last season. Can't imagine Nicky Hayes or Dave Martin (of "we want Martin out" fame after he was subbed off injured against Bromley last week (classy touch Blue Voice)) doing similar. Collin is and should remain a starter and any rubbishing suggestions that he should be sent out on loan to the NLS or lower are also insulting and then some.

Unfortunately elsewhere we were left wanting. Brooks tried to double up as a CF and CB and it may have cost us the first goal. Vilhete stood head and shoulders above Noor and Wes (yes, I know wingers may have different jobs) and Bridge did superbly enough for the first goal, lovely reaction finish for Coker. Bridge was unlucky not to receive more service and thus give more to the rest of the game. I would love if Maher's game plan for the future of this team is to ensure Bridge can reach the levels of form he did last season.

Defence-wise, Ralph scored the winner but our full-backs were left wanting a lot of the time. Despite Kens and Taylor looking somewhat assured most of the game, our downfall was arising from the lack of defence cohesion at times, although the significantly diminished midfield also earns its share of the spoils here.

Ultimately, a hard fought win, but I can't imagine we'd achieve similar home or away against Barnet or indeed at home to Halifax in January. Hopefully with new signings on the way, this often tired, lacklustre and ultimately striving well above it's means XI + a few is given a break!

A. How Kidderminster are bottom is baffling, they played much better than Bromley.
B. Love Kev pushing Collin out at the end to get an ovation from the fans.
C. Some over the top Police at the end, batons racked and expecting a kick off.
A. When we played them here early Sept, we only won by scoring in added time a min or so from the end. When a team is struggling, they don't get 'the rub of the ball' & results they may deserve, as we have experienced.
B. Thoroughly deserved, good for Kev!
C. West Midlands O.B have always over reacted. Remember our game at Brum in 94?.

Last edited:
Some over the top Police at the end, batons racked and expecting a kick off.
That's a use of force in itself so doesn't happen without good reason. Also things did kick off outside the King & Castle about 17:00ish...

That's a use of force in itself so doesn't happen without good reason. Also things did kick off outside the King & Castle about 17:00ish...
When we walked to the ground a big group of 12 year olds wearing those hoodies with goggles on and Stone Island ****e heading to the ground. One was walking with a beer and said cant wait to get round and glass some ****s.

Judging by the area and where I parked my car I didn’t think it was rough. Unfortunately it’s part and parcel of every club now. Lads if you want to have a fight, why not join up and do it for real!

Kidderminster is the nearest NL side to me, 65 minutes on the train. It’s a good club, well supported at this level, a very good stadium, nice people and some excellent pubs in the town. I hope they don’t go down, but I fear they will.
Was in the main stand and had no phone signal, so didn’t know about the exchange of contracts until I got home, about 7.30. One occasion when I wished I had been standing with our lot.
I didn’t think we played particularly well, and they gave us the runaround for the last twenty minutes or so. Our press was off and we were fighting for scraps in midfield for much of the time. Bridge and Fonguck were effective in the first half but got less of the ball as the game went on.
Our “forwards” were hopeless. Brooklyn is not a forward; he won very few headers and his control on the ground with his back to goal (virtually all the time since he has no feel for penetrating runs) is not good enough. Mario Valhetti - first time I’ve seen him - is also not a forward of course. I very much doubt he will be offered a contract, despite lots of effort. We have better midfielders than him, and we will have more better players post embargo.
The Sandat penalty was stonewall from the main stand. The miss from the chip was unhelpful. But he shook things up upfront.
Colin was brilliant in the second half. He stood no chance with the goal.
I thought Kiddie were unlucky to lose. But we need the points so tough.

Colin had an absolute blinder today and definitely secured us the points - what a first game back that was!

A. When we played them here early Sept, we only won by scoring in added time a min or so from the end. When a team is struggling, they don't get 'the rub of the ball' & results they may deserve, as we have experienced.
B. Thoroughly deserved, good for Kev!
C. West Midlands O.B have always over reacted. Remember our game at Brum in 94?.
Yes they certainly liked a baton that day

Sandat is a classy little player and if he is to progress at Hull he needs to be burying that chance he had , one touch and strike
The decision to cut back and chip the keeper albeit looked tidy was the wrong option and could of cost us 2 points
I think we need to cut him some slack. This was his first competitive game of the season. He’d come off the bench. He maybe trained once with this side. He’s not going to be at his sharpest.

I was impressed by the composure to take the touch past the defender and try and dink the keeper. It didn’t come off but most times if a forward just strikes it the keeper saves/the defender blocks anyway. The vision, fast feet and audacity to try that is something I haven’t really seen in a Southend shirt since Freddy. I hope people don’t try and dampen that part of his game in favour of being predictable. It’s like people yelling shoot when someone doesn’t have a clear sight on goal.

I thought his touch has improved since last season. It was more decisive and shows he’s developing. He’s still a raw prospect but I like that he’s improving. Bodes well for his career. Just a pity that he’s no longer our player. Thank God we won’t have Ron in charge any more letting our best prospects walk as he won’t pay his taxes.

It was all a bit surreal. When someone told me the news on the walk to the ground, I didn't quite believe it. But there it was, writ large on the club's Twitter feed. From that point on the atmosphere in the away end was going to be good no matter the result.

Inside Aggborough's away concourse it was all smiles amd happy embraces. I don't think I've ever seen so many happy Shrimpers outside of the Tilly promotion years. If the news itself hadn't caused a lump in my throat, this did. I swiftly forgave the snack bar for running out of cottage pie.

The game was one of the worst performances I've seen by Blues for a while. Kiddy were lively but we looked dangerous on the break, I was just thinking that 1-1 was a fair reflection of the game so far when Ralph headed in that corner right on the stroke of half time.

Poor Justin was mobbed by fans at half time and fair play to him for making time for them all. Contrast this with Ron's behaviour in the away end at Solihull all those months ago, before Maher, before the protests, before the points deduction.

The second half was mostly Kiddy huffing and puffing but failing to create much more than a few wayward shots and half chances. Sandat was denied a stonewall penalty then missed a gilt edged chance. Colin then produced three superb stops to win us the three points. A man-of-the-match performance; it's great to have him back and you had to smile at the home fans calling him ' you sh*t *******' when he had just denied them a share of the spoils. Footy banter at its finest.

A great day out, and the clear road home for me means that it's been beer o'clock for some time now.

Back