• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Possibly being a Rangers feeder club - opinions?

Would you be keen on having an agreement where their fringe/youth players come on loan or permanent

• Yes

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 70 53.8%

• Total voters

Morty01

Striker
It should be common knowledge among SZ users and our fanbase in general that George Taylor, one of the consortium members, is also part-owner of Rangers.

This possibly opens up the door for loans from and friendlies with the club, which would be great. However, my mates aren't too keen on the idea of becoming a simple feeder club/Rangers reserve team.

This is a difficult one. For me I’d love to have a close tie with a big club to get a decent friendly. My issue though is most SPL players are probably at very best league one standard. For context a very good centre back from the SPL went to Colchester in January so on that youngsters from rangers are going to be no where near the standard we need. Happy to have commercial decisions but wouldn’t want us having too many loanees as I feel we could be shafted by having to give them certain amounts of playing time even if they are crap.

This is a difficult one. For me I’d love to have a close tie with a big club to get a decent friendly. My issue though is most SPL players are probably at very best league one standard. For context a very good centre back from the SPL went to Colchester in January so on that youngsters from rangers are going to be no where near the standard we need. Happy to have commercial decisions but wouldn’t want us having too many loanees as I feel we could be shafted by having to give them certain amounts of playing time even if they are crap.
I'd quite happily take league one quality loanees at this point!

Yes we have signed 3 very good players from the SPL since the Cowleys came in, as you mentioned Riley Harbottle from Hibs (Loan), they signed him from Notts Forest for a fee on a 3 year deal but I don't think it is working out for him up there, he did very well for Mansfield in our league last year and already it sounds like we would like to sign him outright, he is loving it here too. We also have Jayden Richardson from Aberdeen (Loan) and have signed Connor Wilkinson for a fee from Motherwell. We also signed our former loanee Owura Edwards outright in the summer from Bristol City, he had been on loan to Ross County last season. There are lots of very decent players up there who would improve most teams in your division and leagues one and two.

Having an arrangement for loaning players is one thing, being a "feeder" club is something else again.

The concept of "feeder" clubs is a complete anathema to me. What are they but glorified reserve teams?

Whilst I have no desire for SUFC to ever enter the seventh circle of Hell that is the Premiershite, becoming an actual feeder club would signal a complete lack ambition.

Last edited:
I would love a link in some way, but probably more in terms of playing fixtures. It's not been unknown for Rangers to host lower division English opposition at Ibrox! Although a good crowd at Roots Hall would be terrific.

I love Scottish football (currently trying to complete the 4 leagues!), but realistically the standard of young players won't compare.

Rangers B finished second in the Lowland League, fifth tier in Scotland, last season. The Lowland league may not be short on entertainment or a will to play good football but in terms of ability it's a very long way from matching England's tier 5. Indeed I believe Blues would compete in the Scottish Championship comfortably with our current squad.

I watched Celtic B play West Ham U21s earlier in the season and they were thumped 5-0 and really were a very long way second best. You'd assume Celtic and Rangers have the crop of Scottish talent.

Of course there'll be some at a young age who would be good enough, but I'd expect them to be too close to first team consideration to be sent out on loan.

More established players, like those who've gone to Colchester, perhaps. But realistically we're looking at clubs other than Rangers for those.

From a strategic point of view we need to concentrate on developing our own than developing another club’s players.

It might be beneficial in the short term but developing our own who we have under contract is better for us. We need to sign, develop and sell youngsters. It was when we stopped doing this under Brown that we started our calamitous slide down to the NL. It was only by selling the young players we’d developed that we’d been able to subsidise the high wages of all the big name signings.

One of the secrets to how we exceeded expectations earlier this season was the continuity from the previous season. Players know what runs their teammates make (the Bridge back heel to Fonguck). Having players come in for a month or two you don’t get that nearly as much. And when it works it’s only ever a temporary solution. Take for example our last loanee from those two sides. We signed him expecting him to tie us over until Callum Powell was fit again. But after a month Charlton recalled him and left us in the 💩.

I’m not entirely opposed to loanees (and tries before you buys are great) but I’d rather give opportunities to the next Oli Kensdale or Coker who we can develop and sell for a profit. I’d hate to see a team of loanees and to lose that connection we have with the team (or at least had before they lost 3 games). For me the role of loanees should mainly revolve around adding replacements in the case of injuries.

ps Would we be able to sign Rangers’ players outside of their transfer window?

I'm still having therapy from signing the Australian captain from the SPL!

Barry Manilow's forehead moves more than he did!

In a few seasons we will be playing at a higher standard than most of the opponents Rangers play in the SPL.

Maybe the arrangement should be the other way around?
Not sure they'd want that after having Bilel. Though I did see him play really well for them away at Airdrie and they won 1-0 ... then he was sent off after the game for "an incident"!

Last edited:
It should be common knowledge among SZ users and our fanbase in general that George Taylor, one of the consortium members, is also part-owner of Rangers.

This possibly opens up the door for loans from and friendlies with the club, which would be great. However, my mates aren't too keen on the idea of becoming a simple feeder club/Rangers reserve team.

There is a difference between a feeder club and an affiliate club.

We wouldn’t become a feeder club. Essentially giving up our “gems” to Rangers and them giving us their players to get them ready for their first team.

I’d like to become an affiliate club however. A link up that allows us to get first dibs on some players on loan, or a heads up for those up for sale. We’d always want the final say as to whether we take these players. We can then give them the heads up on our “gems”. If Cards was up attracting bids, we could say to Rangers about it.

The idea of us having a pre-season friendly would be good, be excellent to host a big club like that. Also, a link up behind the scenes, as displayed by our recent visit up there. Ideas bounced between the two clubs of things that have worked, things that haven’t and so forth.

A link up between us and Rangers would be more beneficial than it would be a waste of time.

Back