• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Possibly being a Rangers feeder club - opinions?

Would you be keen on having an agreement where their fringe/youth players come on loan or permanent

• Yes

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 70 53.8%

• Total voters
I'm a Shrimper in Glasgow and regularly go to games at Ibrox. I'm slowly on a mission to convert some of Glasgow to adopting us as their English team (managed to get 1 to Halifax and 3 to Gateshead!).

I'm certainly of the opinion that an affiliate club arrangement would be beneficial for both parties. Not a feeder club, but with commercial benefits and 1 or 2 loans as and when both parties agree.

Rangers academy and B team system is currently going through a lot of changes however there are some good players in there. Young players there (and at Celtic) who played in the lowland league system were struggling with the physicality of the league, and injuries were common so development was reduced.

I'm sure Rangers would be interested in promising players being sent away from the Glasgow goldfish bowl to develop. Ultimately Rangers and Celtic are wanting youngsters who can cope with the pressure of having to win every week in front of 50/60k in both Scotland and European football. Giving younger players a loan in a league with better facilities (hopefully that training ground will be finished soon), bigger crowds and the higher pressure of having to win than they faced in the lowland league would, as well as a reduction in injuries as the old firm youngsters were being kicked about by players who don't like Rangers and/or Celtic. There's certainly players in the systems that are good enough to play for us, and in the leagues above us as well.

For us, it's a chance to get a good player for free for a period of time. If it works out, we have a player improving us, Rangers trust us and send another one that benefits us. If it doesn't, no loss, back to Rangers. If they work for us but Rangers don't want them, we are in pole position to sign them and Rangers are happy as they've helped the player move somewhere suitable for them.

Commercially, a friendly at Roots Hall would attract thousands of Rangers fans and would be a welcome boost to us, a sell out for sure. Whilst I agree some people won't like Rangers for a variety of reasons, 95% of the ones I know are decent folk who just support their football team. Plus you'd get the benefit of them fans taking home scarves/shirts as souvenirs from the trip.

As someone else pointed out, Rangers often also host lower league English teams at Ibrox in pre season to prepare for European qualifiers. Steven Gerrard's first game at Ibrox was against Bury for example. For Southend fans it would be a great trip, as Glasgow is a great city and easy to get to.

In my opinion, it's a no lose for both parties.

I'm a Shrimper in Glasgow and regularly go to games at Ibrox. I'm slowly on a mission to convert some of Glasgow to adopting us as their English team (managed to get 1 to Halifax and 3 to Gateshead!).

I'm certainly of the opinion that an affiliate club arrangement would be beneficial for both parties. Not a feeder club, but with commercial benefits and 1 or 2 loans as and when both parties agree.

Rangers academy and B team system is currently going through a lot of changes however there are some good players in there. Young players there (and at Celtic) who played in the lowland league system were struggling with the physicality of the league, and injuries were common so development was reduced.

I'm sure Rangers would be interested in promising players being sent away from the Glasgow goldfish bowl to develop. Ultimately Rangers and Celtic are wanting youngsters who can cope with the pressure of having to win every week in front of 50/60k in both Scotland and European football. Giving younger players a loan in a league with better facilities (hopefully that training ground will be finished soon), bigger crowds and the higher pressure of having to win than they faced in the lowland league would, as well as a reduction in injuries as the old firm youngsters were being kicked about by players who don't like Rangers and/or Celtic. There's certainly players in the systems that are good enough to play for us, and in the leagues above us as well.

For us, it's a chance to get a good player for free for a period of time. If it works out, we have a player improving us, Rangers trust us and send another one that benefits us. If it doesn't, no loss, back to Rangers. If they work for us but Rangers don't want them, we are in pole position to sign them and Rangers are happy as they've helped the player move somewhere suitable for them.

Commercially, a friendly at Roots Hall would attract thousands of Rangers fans and would be a welcome boost to us, a sell out for sure. Whilst I agree some people won't like Rangers for a variety of reasons, 95% of the ones I know are decent folk who just support their football team. Plus you'd get the benefit of them fans taking home scarves/shirts as souvenirs from the trip.

As someone else pointed out, Rangers often also host lower league English teams at Ibrox in pre season to prepare for European qualifiers. Steven Gerrard's first game at Ibrox was against Bury for example. For Southend fans it would be a great trip, as Glasgow is a great city and easy to get to.

In my opinion, it's a no lose for both parties.
Spot on. Didn't Rangers fans start following White Ensign a couple of years back, after Celtic fans started following Catholic Utd? Both obviously lower league sides from this area.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if suddenly we had an influx of Rangers fans following and taking an interest in us.

Can we get easyJet on board for quick flights up there from Southend! I believe they used to do flights to Edinburgh? A real shame all domestic flights stopped 🤨

There has been discussion about possible friendlies with Rangers in pre-season.

Spot on. Didn't Rangers fans start following White Ensign a couple of years back, after Celtic fans started following Catholic Utd? Both obviously lower league sides from this area.

They don't sound like the type of people I would want turning up at Roots Hall.

Why would bringing thousands of pounds to the local economy be a bad thing? Especially if the fanzone is set up, could help us insanely.
It wouldn't, but the main concern would be many arriving the day before ( as they do elsewhere ) & getting totally off their heads causing grief.
Plus IF they did play here, no doubt OB would insist all pubs closed, which wouldn't help their takings one bit.

It wouldn't, but the main concern would be many arriving the day before ( as they do elsewhere ) & getting totally off their heads causing grief.
Plus IF they did play here, no doubt OB would insist all pubs closed, which wouldn't help their takings one bit.
But you could say that about any team? I'd welcome Ranegrs with open arms

But you could say that about any team? I'd welcome Ranegrs with open arms
May i suggest you do some researching about when they play a friendly in England. No point discussing this any further at present, as it's all hypothetical at the moment. IF it were to happen then we can continue the debate then.

Well we wouldn't be going up there and even if we wanted to we couldn't as there will be work going on at Ibrox during pre season.

May i suggest you do some researching about when they play a friendly in England. No point discussing this any further at present, as it's all hypothetical at the moment. IF it were to happen then we can continue the debate then.
I am very aware of Glasgow Rangers and their friendlies in the county. May I present to you every team that goes to Europe and also the national team.

Please someone make this friendly happen! Rangers fans would take over Roots Hall generating income and the local pubs would be packed the night before and all day of the game! They don't cause trouble they enjoy supporting they're side wherever they go! Been going Ibrox the last few years and the atmosphere round the pubs before the games you couldn't imagine how good it is and how I'd love southend to generate the same atmosphere in Blue Boar/ Spread Eagle

Back