• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Dagenham & Redbridge

Waldron starting the move in our half by setting the ball back and immediately starting his run into the box, then having the nous to split the two defenders, was very impressive. It will have done his confidence the world of good.
What's really good to see is that Cards and Waldron appear to be clicking. That's why I'd play them together where possible until the end of the season to allow that partnership to grow. Both have height, pace, and power, and could be a proper force next season for us.

I don’t buy the “we froze because of the big game, TV and big crowd scenario.”

I would buy the “Daggers we’re up for it, nice trip to the seaside, we need to put one over that club that thinks it should be playing in the EFL and is slumming it in non league and we’ve only lost 4 away games all season”

Jack Bridge’s main attribute is that he is a bugger to get the ball off.
He is not blessed with lightning pace nor physical strength.

I don’t think his left foot is strong enough to cross the ball accurately at the pace he needs to get away from a defender. So he stops checks back onto his right foot. When he checks so does whoever is in the middle. Jack might have 12 assists but he, as often our most forward player, has only one goal from open play. I don’t know why he doesn’t come inside more and shoot with his right foot. He also rarely gets in a goal scoring position when we attack down the other flank.

I have always believed that a winger needs to get to the bye line and pull the ball back - Cardwell showed how it’s done pace and strength.

We do play an odd game with our left centre back Ralph getting into the opponents box more than our central midfielders and Demi turning up on the left wing. Does this odd style mean we are too open and concede early at home as we leave ourselves very vulnerable to a quick counter attack with players out of position - maybe we need to keep it tighter early on.

Coker or Wood - Oli struggled a bit yesterday as did everyone in the first 30 minutes - but did put that ball through to Cardwell and has shown he is able to shoot accurately from just outside of the box and knocked in a goal at the far post at Kidderminster. I think Jack Wood has suffered because we have used him as a bit of a makeshift forward. I don’t think he reads the game anywhere as near as well as Coker.

Correct Wood is still developing, but it was you that labelled Coker insultingly as lightweight.

Just because 'the site' says Woody is a CM, doesn't mean he is. Woody is far better advancing in the final third, as his recent brilliant goal suggested. Coker however is far better stretching teams by switching play between both flanks, something we've missed lately all going down the left. What he does also have in his locker is crossing ability from deep, and striking from range, as proven with 3 great goals from central long range areas this season.

Woody may have 26 apps as you say, but how many of those have been 5-10 minute subs apps and how many starts?

I've nothing against Woody, a decent lad and good ability driving forward. But what I'm pointing out is that they're different type of players, both bringing the team different attributes, so not necessarily one or the other. Woody is better playing in the hole, whereas as Coker is better deeper and offers different from Husin, Miley and Morton. Of course .... just an opinion.....
You point out Wood is better playing in the hole (to me attacking CM/10 role). This I believe is correct but we don’t play him there. But it is a CM role in the same way Josh Rees is a CM or Jack Payne was.
He’s not a winger, and given we don’t even play wingers he’s in danger of being a player accused of playing in two different positions neither of which we play….doubly unfortunate…for now

I think the mindset of the team needs tweaking to get the best from Waldron. He makes good runs off defenders only for our midfield/defenders to play safer sideways/backwards passes.

And his 30 yard rush to try and get Miley sent off. Plus the now ubiquitous keeper “injury”.
this keeper " injury " thing is driving me crazy, every week the ref falls for it. Maybe it's time us as a crowd respond on a suitable fashion .......ironic standing ovation ? bringing back hurling of toilet rolls ? 6,000 shouting cheat, cheat , cheat ??

i know it may not stop it but i just feel we are being conned as much as the ref and even if our response just gives us a laugh , it would stop my blood boiling :)

this keeper " injury " thing is driving me crazy, every week the ref falls for it. Maybe it's time us as a crowd respond on a suitable fashion .......ironic standing ovation ? bringing back hurling of toilet rolls ? 6,000 shouting cheat, cheat , cheat ??

i know it may not stop it but i just feel we are being conned as much as the ref and even if our response just gives us a laugh , it would stop my blood boiling :)
You're right, it is getting ridiculous. It's the very reason Kev got a yellow and ultimately a touchline ban, for complaining to the 4th about it. You can almost guarantee now any team coming to RH on level terms or ahead, will pull the time-wasting stoppage time injury card.

I wonder what the official statistics are behind goalkeeper injuries 70 minutes > into the game.. you’d think it was the most dangerous position in sporting history

Unfortunately there’s not a lot the referees can do. We rely entirely on the integrity of the players, so we’ve no hope.
Spot on.
Tbf ... I always set the stopwatch when time is added on. When we got 5 v Daggers, and the player went down clearly stalling for time, I stopped the watch. Once restarting on the refs whistle, he did actually still allow a full 5 mins of play. Doesn't always happen but fair play this time around.

The issue is more about a team losing momentum .... but like you said, not much else can be done.

It will stop in a heartbeat if the keeper has to go off like an outfielder.
Have said this on the Zone around 10 times over the last two seasons, and had Paul Clark agreeing, or rather saying the same thing on Saturday.
It can be done if there's a will. It's like shirt tugging in the box: the powers-that-be are turning a blind eye.

Unfortunately there’s not a lot the referees can do. We rely entirely on the integrity of the players, so we’ve no hope.
I found the model used at the Qatar World Cup of adding on all time the ball was out of play drastically reduced these ‘dark arts’

It will stop in a heartbeat if the keeper has to go off like an outfielder.
Have said this on the Zone around 10 times over the last two seasons, and had Paul Clark agreeing, or rather saying the same thing on Saturday.
It can be done if there's a will. It's like shirt tugging in the box: the powers-that-be are turning a blind eye.
Agree this would be very effective but unlikely to be introduced in case the odd occasion there is a real serious injury it goes untreated when a team elects to continue rather than make sure their goalie is ok.

But what if the referee was told to add double the amount of the time the game was stopped if the goalie or any other player who is deemed to be injured is able to resume ? Probably also has its issues but might be worth a try ?

Back