• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Dorking Wanderers

I come home rather happy after that. Then I read the comments on here and it seems others went to a different game than me.

Right from there start we looked to use Cardwell and Waldron quicker and more direct. Rather than get caught and go goal down we were happy to clip it down channels if an obvious pass wasn't on. Thats exactly how passing team should play....Nothing wrong with possession but add some urgency and don't try to create an extra pass that dosens't exist

Perfect strike from Gus. Pace and bend gave the keep no chance. At last we score from a direct kick, won by Harry C's hard work and pace.

They never really troubled us and it always looks like we would get second. Bringing in Woodman was the obvious and correct choice and impressed on debut. Husin had a better game and I don't buy the Morton and Cav can't platy together theory. I would always pick Morton over Wes....Especfally away from home.

Bizarrely they finally got brave after 90mins and once again Colin makes great save whilst unsighted through crowd of players. Just when I'm thinking good job we are 2 up, Lady Luck smiles on us again with that one off the inside of the post.

Not a classic but who cares its midweek in March so 3points is all that matters.

As for Kev getting upset. He is in his first job as there boss so is learning his trade. He now has a top 3 budget. Next season the whole club will run out of excuses. No Ron, No embargo and a full pre season. So everyone better get used to pressure because this season isn't over yet.

Finally how are we having an East v West debate. You can hear the same comments Kev got upset with on the Diversity blog on another thread. As soon as the action starts on about 3 mins listen to the instruction Woodman is getting from a West stand coach. Those people are at every football match in the world, including childrens games.

Telling a player to shoot or drive forward is no where near the personal abuse nonsense that was more prevalent in out darkest hours. That should be stamped on by all who hear. Encouragement, even if miss guided, is no crime.

Last edited:
We need to lose the entitlement and appreciate what we have which is a good side, very well coached who play good football.

This 👆
In goal Collin is established as our first choice keeper. Would people even try and upgrade him in the summer now?
Definitely not, I’d be more worried about him upgrading than us. Massively underrated and constantly improving too!

Much better tonight - generally solid performances for most. Crowther with a rare off day, and I still think Miley is struggling - looks a different player since injury, hopefully just still getting up to speed. Thought Morton was the pick of the midfield, and Woodman looked classy.

One side note, genuinely a little worried about Maher. He’s such an angry/frustrated figure at the moment. Spent a large portion of the second half having a pop at fans - I get that he’s proud of the players and wants to protect them, but he has been to a football stadium before right? If fans have paid their £20, I think they’re entitled to shouting and getting involved - especially when it was as harmless as it was.

He got extra angry when the crowd shouted “shoot!” when Woodman made that great forward run. Very standard thing for football fans to shout, even ironically… think he needs to accept that, and not sure it justified a “that’s when we should ****ing shoot” whilst celebrating in front of the fans after Cardwell’s goal… all a little strange!

Totally agree with this, and yes Maher's interview on the radio after the game a bit odd.

You'd have been mistaken into thinking we'd lost the game hearing what he was saying.

Think he needs to calm it and it's not directed at him as we're as he puts its a million percent behind him 🤣

I’m not seeing negatives, I’m seeing 3 much needed points and job done.

There was progress out there..a good game by Woodman and the defence looked solid again. Him and Crowther were pushing forward, taking the ball out of defence and looking a threat in the opposition box. Husin had another good game and made the second goal .. he’s definitely trying to be more direct. Cardwell got another goal and put himself about all night. Waldron .. it’ll come. Great free kick from Gus. A solid game by Morton, he needs these games to get up to speed. A lot spoken about Miley of late but he was snapping away at them and winning some vital balls.

Yes occasionally the ball was sent backwards when the forward pass was on but it’s a work in progress. Patience seems lacking in the stands. It’s like we should be beating all these teams 4-0 or 5-0 and sailing into the play offs.

All told, we’re now 8 unbeaten so those moaning at Kev or perceived ‘negative’ football .. yeah have your opinions but don’t then complain when he answers back.

First things first, it was really good to be back amongst fellow Blues supporters and watching a game live after missing the last two home games. As for the football, there were ups and there were downs, it happens in football matches. On the ups side, we didn't concede in the first 10 minutes (nor did we look as if we would), and we played a bit of direct football getting early crosses in etc. This was capped by our goal. It was very noticeable that the game plan was 'down the left lads, and poor old Gus was standing with his hands on his hips on the right touch line thinking 'wtf do I have to do to get passed too?' So when the ref signalled a direct free kick on the left, he was over there to that left side of the pitch like a rat up a drainpipe, and the rest was goal of the month contender for March. Just as well really because we didn't create too many other dangerous goal mouth moments first half.

Second half and we attacked safe in the knowledge that we weren't playing catch-up. Nothing over scintillating, but we were persistent in going forward, and Jack Bridge had a cracking shot heading for the top right hand corner until the mighty midget in the Dorking goal finger tipped it to safety (git). So, on we went. Dorking played tidy stuff but you could see why they are struggling as their cutting edge was blunt. Noor produced some delightful ball control towards the end of the half and then big Harry settled the game, our nerves and the 3 points by sticking home the second goal. Dorking looked absolutely devastated at that one.

We listened to Paul Clark and then Kev in the car going home. Clarky told it as it was in a way only he can, and then Kev let the emotions of the season bubble up to the surface and he gave an emotional interview of how proud he was of his players. Why now? probably because he was brassed off with informed supporters that offer 'first class' tactical advice game after game. Of course, supporters pay their money, so they are entitled to comment, and maybe Kev should have shown more lack of emotion, but it's been a hard, hard season, on and off the pitch, so he gets no criticism from me.

Disappointingly I realised that we only have two more home games left, but then it will be have a rest time, and build for next season. Bring it on Kev and co, we can't wait.

Thought Maher was spot on in his post match interview, while Paul Clark was overly pessimistic. Was amazed to hear boos at half time on Saturday, for instance. This collective bunch of players (very much like Kev) have loads of credit left yet. People have short memories.

Waldron and Cardwell very much still a work in progress. This will improve with full preseasons for them both, until then, they do need to work out which of them is going for the ball up top as too often they both challenge for the same one. Both industrious and hard working, I am sure this partnership will come good. Dackers looked hungry when he came on too, I was impressed with his challenging.

Midfield looked much better though I thought Morton was the weakest of the three at times as things seemed to pass him by from time to time. Husin had one of his best performances for a long time and Miley kept doing Miley things in consistently breaking up play.

Defensively, I was very impressed with young Woodman. Looked comfortable on the ball going forwards and boy, could he pick a pass! Little bit of work to do defensively, but that will come with game time. Quite solid, and no real qualms about Ralph getting MOTM, could have gone to any of him, Noor, Gus, Woodman or Cardwell, and he has been really good in recent games too.

Lovely free kick from Gus, that will do him the world of good, and Bridge showed more versatility than usual.

Collin - 7
Gus - 7
Woodman - 7.5
Crowther - 7
Ralph - 7.5 MOTM
Bridge - 7
Miley - 7
Morton - 6.5
Husin - 7.5
Waldron - 7
Cardwell - 7.5

Onward and upward. 8 unbeaten. Let's keep it going.

Quite right, and I don't mean to tar all in the East with the same brush. I sit in East Blues - I'm not a moaner, and neither are many around me. But Kev and Currie have both taken issue, several times, with some of the stuff shouted from East Greens, and I don't think that's just because East Greens is the only place they can hear individual shouts from.
But that is exactly what it is. Sitting in the East Greens isn't a personality trait. These people sit everywhere.

But that is exactly what it is. Sitting in the East Greens isn't a personality trait. These people sit everywhere.
There's a couple of guys in the south upper, I used to sit near them about 20 years ago, they were toxic, only ever criticizing. I called them out on it once and received a mouthful of venom back. They still attend games, I suspect they haven't changed, they will probably reckon they're Southends biggest fans as they've had season tickets for 30 odd years - personally I think we'd be better off without them!

Re post #66 above, I make it 3 more games at home and 5 away.
And your not wrong Mr @greyerfox. I was obviously still caught up in the post match emotion of my post match post, and , to be fair, 2 is like 3, only 3 has a curly bit on the bottom. Put it all down to a hard season and reading Wiggy's offerings :Winking:

Well we have a Plan B!

I thought we looked to mix up our play a lot more than usual with quicker passing, occasional long ball, forward passing more frequent but still trying to maintain control.

Though it didn't always come off I thought we played with real endeavour and personally showed an urgency and desire that I have felt was missing, certainly for large periods, in the last couple of matches.

Like the look of Woodman who is a real ball playing defender. Still not convinced that Miley and Moreton can play together but they allowed Noor to get forward and be just behind the front two for most of the game. Personally I am hoping that we have a midfield three of Noor, Miley and Coker next season as we will have a blend of attacking (Noor), enforcer/disrupter (Miley) and passer (Coker). If Coker is not up to it then that's where I believe we need new blood but I hope Coker will be the answer especially with a proper pre season behind him.

As for last night:

Collin - 7.5 - just gets better and better
Gus - 7 - great free kick and solid game
Woodman - 7 - very composed
Crowther - 7 - solid and getting more physical
Ralph - 7.5 - been performing really well all season
Bridge - 7.5 - not seen in attack so much, but was quicker crossing and excellent in defence
Miley - 6.5 - solid but isn't so good with Morton
Morton - 6.5 - solid but isn't so good with Miley
Husin - 7.5 - some lovely bits of skill and did well for the second goal
Waldron - 6.5 - extended run willdo him good as he looks like a great signing
Cardwell - 7 - his speed seems to have increased? Needs to do better work with his headers in open play as continually misread the flight

Sandaat - 6.5 - went backwards most of the game which I think may have been specific instructions for us to retain the ball

All in all a strange game and felt transitional to me and almost experimental. No MoM as all played ok and none played badly.

Thought Dorking deserved a goal at the very least and I hope they stay up. Really like their 70s retro Crystal Palace kit - very stylish!

Word for the officials who I thought were really good, very calm and deliberate and didn't disagree with many decisions at all.

Crowd was quiet - too many home games in a short time perhaps?

Delighted with the result, we never really looked troubled apart from that wobble at the end. Their little bloke between the sticks actually made a few excellent saves the best of which was from Bridge.

I liked Woodman but probably needs a bit of heading practice when going up front and I can’t see what harm there was in shouting have a poke when he’s steaming towards goal in loads of space, f..k have a go.

Colin to the rescue again too, he’s definitely improving which is great to see and as for Guz the bloke just don’t stop giving.

A very comfortable win in the end.

I sit very close to the dug out in East Greens. Have done for years. There are a small handful of fans around me that are very quick to moan when the ball doesn’t go forward with every pass. I am continually calling them out on it. The cries of shoot when a player is 35 yards out is not unique to any one part of the ground.
It ****es me off. Not that it really matters at all and I get both Kev’s and Darren’s frustrations but their reactions to my immediate area of East Greens is also ****ing me off. There is real anger directed to my area of the greens when we score from the management team.

I am their biggest fan and have huge appreciation for the work they have done and continue to do. I enjoy the style of football we play. But their reaction/ interaction ****es me off.

8 games ago, after the (now very important) draw with Oxford, we were 16 points away from play offs. 8 games later, we have halved that deficit picking up 15 points in 8 games. With 8 games to go, can we make up the remaining deficit? Do we dare to dream?

Back