• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Dorking Wanderers

Just to give my two pennies worth on the Maher comments etc. I sit in the East Green and I've sat in various places around the ground at different points, there have been no increase in negative comments recently than there has for years and and in different parts of the ground. There has however, been an increase in Maher's reaction towards us in recent weeks (since we started going on a short poor run of form). I think Maher may be being a little sensitive at the moment because simply he cares SO MUCH about the players and the club! I even saw him scream at a young ball boy a week or so ago to keep hold of the ball near the end of the game (he swiftly apologised).

I think comments from certain fans on here saying the East fans are worse is stupid and is only going to cause division which is really not needed.

Personally I'd much rather have a manager like Maher who truly cares about the club than a Bond who didn't even celebrate when we scored in the last minute against Sunderland to stay in League One.

That being said I do think he needs to be a little bit more tolerant as a lot of the comments I hear in the stands are ironic or said in jest and that's not something I'd want to lose as a fan base.

Some of the difference may also be coming from the fact that Maher is an employee of the club and is concerned and responsible for trying to put in the perfect performance, keeping clean sheets and managing the ball (totally understandable). Fans however, go to enjoy the game, its entertainment at the end of the day and for me personally an escape from every day life! If a fan shouts 'shoot' or is disappointed when we turn down the chance to go for goal number 3 near the end then they're also completely entitled to.

Back in December we still didnt know if we would have a club to support. Three months on we do. Embargo lifted, new players signed, existing players offered long term deals. We then have a blip and lose a few, arguably we could have won all of them apart from Chesterfield away. Performance levels dropped during that period but it wasnt through want of trying. I see someone mention on this thread that maybe Kev, the players and fans need this season to end, re set and come back stronger next season. I can see their point. the atmosphere in RH seems flat and performances on the pitch similar. Both feed off each other. However, we ar 8 unbeaten with 4 wins in that run. Pulled away from the relegation zone and not far off the play offs. Players like Miley, Husin, Wes etc have had off days but o dont think any of us appreciate what theyve all been through this season both mentally and physically. Kev said last night its miraculous what weve achieved and our performances actually deserve a play off place. i make him 100% correct. At the start of the season based on our situation finishing one place above relegation was the target. none of us knew what was going to follow in the coming months but the team dug in deep and got some incredible results home and away. I think they are now tired and ready for a break and i dont blame them. But surely as a fan base we need to give them credit where credit is due. In the summer Kev and co will recruit maybe 4/5 new players and i assume we will lose a couple, Wes maybe one as not mentioned in contract deals with Dackers and Sandat going back to their clubs. I have confidence in Kev and Still to find the right players and maybe with a full preseason training/matches we will see a new style of play or more options to make in game changes. But lets be honest its been a unprecedented season on and off the pitch and one thing this group don't deserve is the criticism and flack they've been getting. I get the 'we pay our money so we have the right to moan etc' but surely take a step back and appreciate what this group has done for the club and us fans. For me they are all heros.
Well, this is it. Some people only see the game in front of them not the bigger picture. Now the embargo is out the way they think we should be outplaying every team that rocks up at the Hall and with flair, panache and 30-yard screamers.

Never mind the mental and physical toll on this squad after all that's gone on. Never mind the fact our new signings are making a step up and will take time to fully adjust. Never mind the injuries .. we need to be smashing these 'pub teams'. As @GBJ mentioned, some just have a deep rooted distrust of Kev, from his playing days which is ridiculous as the bloke is a club legend.

OK we all have our views/opinions, we're all frustrated .. but some just want us to run before we can walk - we've tried that before and we fell flat on our face. Just enjoy the games maybe, it's not all bad .. we're on an 8 game unbeaten run.

Tepid game both on and atmosphere off field, like one game too many. Perfect result though, not conceding, just would have preferred second goal earlier to calm the nerves. Dorking are a neat and tidy side but very unthreatening until injury time. This allowed us to cruise in second/third gear to victory and 50 points. Hope Dorking stay up, Marc White is a class act and almost felt sorry for them that they did not get a goal they deserved as late consolation. We performed efficiently, less sideways passing, more earlier shooting and crossing.

Andeng-Ndi 7
Woodman 7.5 MOTM
Crowther 6.5
Ralph 7
Scott/Morriss 7.5
Morton 7
Miley 7
Husin 7.5
Bridge 7
Waldron 6.5
Cardwell 7.5

Sandat 6
Coker 5.5
Dackers 5

No real standouts nor weaknesses in the team last night. So will give MOTM to Woodman as his debut and looked assured, always looking to pass forward, first half especially. Obviously a young man learning his trade, but looked very promising and has a bit about him. Eight games unbeaten, now closer to playoffs than relegation, let’s just relax enjoy the rest of the season and look forward to a real go next season. UTB

Think Maher is trying to coach the crowd.

The positive atmosphere has gone (tonight was flat) and the frustration from those who think we should be winning every game 4-0 can be heard.

He’s not wrong that it’s not helpful to shout “shoot” to your teenage debutant when he’s 35 yards from goal. It wasn’t helpful on Saturday to groan when Bridge cut back.

But imagine losing parts of the crowd when winning 2-0 to go 8 matches unbeaten and playing the best passing football for many a year, having spent most of the season under an embargo.

We need to lose the entitlement and appreciate what we have which is a good side, very well coached who play good football. There are many Southend sides (quite a few which Maher played in) which didn’t deserve our support. This side does.

Tonight was a professional display, capped off with our first clean sheet since Oxford. Think that was also the last game Demi didn’t start. We were less good going forward without his ability on the ball but more athletic and able to recover. We didn’t seem to miss his much vaunted experience but there may be tougher tests ahead.

Cardwell was excellent until he faded second half. He deserved his goal. Him and Waldron are now established as our first choice attack. In goal Collin is established as our first choice keeper. Would people even try and upgrade him in the summer now? Ralph was solid in defence once more, Woodman had an encouraging debut. In midfield Miley broke up lots of attacks - he gets his foot in to balls he has no right to. Moreton was quiet, Husin pulled out some fabulous bits of skill. Bridge was subdued, cowed into putting in early balls? He generally had a good night defensively. Great free kick from Gus.
Sensible post. Please delete

Firstly I love Roots Hall, and am very glad we are staying.

She being an older ground with fans nearer the pitch means that players and management alike can hear all comments positive and negative.

This means when its positive and a big crowd there is no better atmosphere, and it can be intimidating for visiting players, similarly it can be just as intimidating if there is a negative vibe during a game.

It is up to us therefore to keep a positive vibe for the players and management. We must remember that most of these players haven't played in front of big (er) crowds , and I think this is something Kev is aware of and is trying to protect his players from.

I would still rather have Roots Hall, the old girl is far better when the atmosphere is good than somewhere soulless like Gateshead, where you would never hear a moan (or a cheer)

Up to us to make Roots Hall intimidating for the opposition and not our players

I think we laboured to that win last night.
Dorking weren’t too bad and controlled possession fairly well I thought, which I find really frustrating given the quality we supposedly possess and the fact we were up against a part time outfit.

Saying that a win is a win, and given we have played Saturday Tuesday for the last few weeks then a win is very much appreciated.

I’m always absolutely delighted when we win,but have to admit I went home slightly disappointed— pre-match I’d thought Dorking would be weak opposition—and they were but the result was in doubt until shortly before the final whistle.
I’m sure Wes Fonguck would have given us so much more drive forwards from midfield against that lot. (I’m not criticising Noor,who had a great game ).

Personally I'd much rather have a manager like Maher who truly cares about the club than a Bond who didn't even celebrate when we scored in the last minute against Sunderland to stay in League One.
Until reading your comment, i was unaware that Bond reacted like a manikin after Humphrey's scored our winner that day. O.k not every manager shows their emotions, i.e Brian Clough after Forest equalized against Spurs in the 91 cup final. 'Judas' Fry took celebrating goals to another level during his short lived spell here, but he didn't have us in his blood, as Kev doe's?.
For the record, i thought last nights game was the 'flattest' of our recent cluster of home games, but hey-ho we won & move onto Saturday.
As 'Rigsby' mentioned, i think next season there will be more pressure on Kev & co, as fans expectations will be higher than this one ( & why not? ), & with 3-4 additions to the squad i see no reason why we shouldn't be challenging within the top 4?.

You were prominent on the thread “just asking” whether Maher should be fired. You must know full well that some harbour doubts, some weirdly don’t like his style of play and some just can’t get their head around three at the back even though the players are super comfortable playing that way. Maybe they’re not fully showing their true colours right now (Wiggy might talk ****e but is at least open about it) but the next downspell you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll be saying told you so, bumping their threads and posts when they were casting aspersions on Maher.

Nah, players are totally allowed to express themselves by the management. Hence Noor pirouetting around in midfield, Jack Bridge turning his man three times to try and find the space to put in a cross that won’t be blocked, Woodman bursting forward and some of those positions the likes of Demi (and previously Hobson) took up. A big part of expressing themselves is playing football - as in passing the ball about, retaining possession. We’re a team of players who want to be on the ball, who express themselves by passing. They don’t express themselves by wellying it like Peter Kay and shouting it “have it”.

Players love playing for Kev: that’s a big part of why the likes of Dackers and Sandat and Lopata re-joined after loan spells and why so many hung around when they weren’t getting paid and had opportunities elsewhere.

The disconnect is with parts of the crowd starting to get on the players’ back. Maher knows this from his time here as a player when he became a boo boy. He knows that if this is creeping up in a 2-0 win during an eight match unbeaten spell than this is something that, like Karl Duguid, needs to be stamped on.

I think HMS **** the League has been counterproductive. Expectations are now so high that a 2-0 win at home somehow isn’t good enough.

The players are comfortable with the style of play: it’s now time for the crowd to learn to appreciate it.

Maybe we can borrow Phil Brown for 3 matches just to remind us how far we’ve come and how easy our style now is on the eye?
Excellent post !

Scrappy game and we rode our luck at times. I watched from home and found it difficult to keep my attention on the game. So I missed the apparent push before the foul that gave us Gus’s free kick.

Chris Phillips said it was the first goal direct from a free kick since Feb 2021 ( Tom Clifford at Newport ? ). I’m guessing the last one at Roots Hall was Clifford again against Oldham in October 2020.

It’s no surprise that the game was flat - our 5th home game in 18 days against the lowest ranking opposition. Dorking worked hard - probably had the worst of the decisions - Woodman’s first two ball winning challenges blatantly wrestled Rutherford to the ground. Another day and another ref …. Our second, Harry pounces again on a slip up by the keeper. Dorking had a clear cut chance which was finished woefully and then we had a ridiculous stroke of kick when they had a shot which hit the inside of a post, rolled across goal and just behind one of their players - another day and different luck .

I didn’t think that Woodman was any where near as good as others have said - yes he looked useful with the ball but defensively looks very limited. Maybe Crowther found it different playing with a giant next to him.

Alfie Rutherford for them is the guy who is making his come back after having open heart surgery to cure his aortic stenosis. Had some pig tissue stitched in.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/heart-surgery-non-league-dorking-30922062

The clamour for Jack Wood - He has actually only started 7 games, some of those because there was no one else up front after Kanu’s loan. I thought whilst he put in 110% effort he looked a bit short of pace on the wing and maybe not strong enough. Maybe he will develop but I don’t think physically he is quick enough or strong yet enough to start in the first team.

So there’s not much to play for - I can’t see us winning the last 8 - so it’s likely we will end the season less than ten points off the last play off spot. Which of course will be a great shame but I still think we are lucky the NL didn’t kick us out last July.

Next year anything other than finishing top or being a play off finalist will be seen as failure. That’s when the real pressure will start for Kev.

We are all great pundits - the older ones will remember when it started World Cup 70 - the Doog, Paddy Crerand, Bob Mc Nab and Malcolm Allison….

I was critical on here about Husin, no more so than our bad run. First 10 mins i watched him, i'm thinking c'mon Noor where's the workrate and shutting down, said so to my boy.
Soon as i said that, he drags back and pirorettes round his opposite and bursts out of midfield with the ball.
My boy said "where's Husin? There's Husin !"
From that moment, it was a joy watching Noor and i sang his name with the rest of us in W block. He had a great game.
Trust me on this, when Noor plays like we know he can, the team play well, such an inspiration this lad is. Superbly balanced, competitive, quick and a right handfull.
Just thought i'd mention it, deserves praise when warranted.

No real standouts nor weaknesses in the team last night. So will give MOTM to Woodman as his debut and looked assured, always looking to pass forward, first half especially. Obviously a young man learning his trade, but looked very promising and has a bit about him. Eight games unbeaten, now closer to playoffs than relegation, let’s just relax enjoy the rest of the season and look forward to a real go next season. UTB
I like him. I thought he had a good game. Settled in quite quickly. Seemed to grow in confidence. I also liked him and Crowther coming up together as a pair for corners and free kicks, with midfielders dropping back as cover. We now have that aerial threat we didn't have. We just need to work on that cross to them.

Scrappy game and we rode our luck at times. I watched from home and found it difficult to keep my attention on the game. So I missed the apparent push before the foul that gave us Gus’s free kick.

Chris Phillips said it was the first goal direct from a free kick since Feb 2021 ( Tom Clifford at Newport ? ). I’m guessing the last one at Roots Hall was Clifford again against Oldham in October 2020.

It’s no surprise that the game was flat - our 5th home game in 18 days against the lowest ranking opposition. Dorking worked hard - probably had the worst of the decisions - Woodman’s first two ball winning challenges blatantly wrestled Rutherford to the ground. Another day and another ref …. Our second, Harry pounces again on a slip up by the keeper. Dorking had a clear cut chance which was finished woefully and then we had a ridiculous stroke of kick when they had a shot which hit the inside of a post, rolled across goal and just behind one of their players - another day and different luck .

I didn’t think that Woodman was any where near as good as others have said - yes he looked useful with the ball but defensively looks very limited. Maybe Crowther found it different playing with a giant next to him.

Alfie Rutherford for them is the guy who is making his come back after having open heart surgery to cure his aortic stenosis. Had some pig tissue stitched in.

The clamour for Jack Wood - He has actually only started 7 games, some of those because there was no one else up front after Kanu’s loan. I thought whilst he put in 110% effort he looked a bit short of pace on the wing and maybe not strong enough. Maybe he will develop but I don’t think physically he is quick enough or strong yet enough to start in the first team.

So there’s not much to play for - I can’t see us winning the last 8 - so it’s likely we will end the season less than ten points off the last play off spot. Which of course will be a great shame but I still think we are lucky the NL didn’t kick us out last July.

Next year anything other than finishing top or being a play off finalist will be seen as failure. That’s when the real pressure will start for Kev.

We are all great pundits - the older ones will remember when it started World Cup 70 - the Doog, Paddy Crerand, Bob Mc Nab and Malcolm Allison….
This is why I think its in Jack's interest to either move on or go on a seasons loan to another NL club. He is neither a winger or a forward- yet he is going to be increasingly judged on his ability to play out of position.

That said he is put on the bench every week, last two games ahead of Wes. Which indicates Kev thinks he can bring something different/change a game (else why would another CM, who has started repeatedly ahead of him, not also be on the bench ahead of him). I think in our current formation Kev sees potentially Wood doing the same job on the right as Wes does on the left (kind of RCM verses LCM). But he needs games to develop and he's not getting them. Even being an impact sub would work if he was getting 20-25 mins a game. But he's getting splinters in his backside unfortunately.

We had the same problem with Jack Payne in years gone by.

Very weird atmosphere on Tuesday night - 3000 people down on the crowd from Saturday probably didn't help, but I'm sure they will be back.

Fifty points now; are the stattos on here in agreement that two more and we should be safe?

You were prominent on the thread “just asking” whether Maher should be fired. You must know full well that some harbour doubts, some weirdly don’t like his style of play and some just can’t get their head around three at the back even though the players are super comfortable playing that way. Maybe they’re not fully showing their true colours right now (Wiggy might talk ****e but is at least open about it) but the next downspell you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll be saying told you so, bumping their threads and posts when they were casting aspersions on Maher.

Nah, players are totally allowed to express themselves by the management. Hence Noor pirouetting around in midfield, Jack Bridge turning his man three times to try and find the space to put in a cross that won’t be blocked, Woodman bursting forward and some of those positions the likes of Demi (and previously Hobson) took up. A big part of expressing themselves is playing football - as in passing the ball about, retaining possession. We’re a team of players who want to be on the ball, who express themselves by passing. They don’t express themselves by wellying it like Peter Kay and shouting it “have it”.

Players love playing for Kev: that’s a big part of why the likes of Dackers and Sandat and Lopata re-joined after loan spells and why so many hung around when they weren’t getting paid and had opportunities elsewhere.

The disconnect is with parts of the crowd starting to get on the players’ back. Maher knows this from his time here as a player when he became a boo boy. He knows that if this is creeping up in a 2-0 win during an eight match unbeaten spell than this is something that, like Karl Duguid, needs to be stamped on.

I think HMS **** the League has been counterproductive. Expectations are now so high that a 2-0 win at home somehow isn’t good enough.

The players are comfortable with the style of play: it’s now time for the crowd to learn to appreciate it.

Maybe we can borrow Phil Brown for 3 matches just to remind us how far we’ve come and how easy our style now is on the eye?
Absolutely brilliant post. Thank you

Very weird atmosphere on Tuesday night - 3000 people down on the crowd from Saturday probably didn't help, but I'm sure they will be back.

Fifty points now; are the stattos on here in agreement that two more and we should be safe?
We are probably already safe, but one more win will definitely do it. I don't think any team in the history of the NL has been relegated with 53 points. It would take the teams in the drop zone currently to go on play-off form (approx 1.5PPG) and for us to lose every game for us to get dragged in now. Could happen of course, but you'd be a very rich man if you bet on it.

Back