• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Dorking Wanderers

Here are my observations from last nights game.

- a lot has been said about Bridge and his assists. Fonguck has been instrumental in many of those assists without getting the credit or plaudits. There seem to be many who are not fussed about him not being in the squad for the last 2 games. I am not one of them.
- Many have commented about Mortons contribution to the game being positive. I didn't see that on show. I can't remember one great pass or tackle that demonstrated the hype about his involvement that others seemed to witness.
- Like many, I agree, Miley is not the same Miley post injury and this has been clear and obvious.
- Husin had his best game by far for a long time. Again I think his been very pedestrian recently and has added to the lack of drive the midfield has generated over recent weeks.
- Another frustrating performance from our front 2. There are signs that they have an understanding but maybe I have to be more patient.
- As for GSM. I have nothing but praise for him 6 goals for the season to date and a well deserved call up for the England C squad. I see his contribution this season as being above that of Bridge and my Player of the Season.

My final thought is for Jack Wood. Like many he seems to be out of favour for one reason or another. He deserves a chance. He has doesn't nothing wrong in the cameo appearances that he has had. Unlike others that get selected or given game time week after week.

UTB!

Marc White's take on the game
Quite measured for Marc. I only counted 2 words that would fall foul of the swear filter on here.

One thing I wasn't expecting was that the 4th official was getting more earache from Kev than Marc. I've watched Bunch of Amateurs since lockdown and followed Dorking and Marc puts his view across to the officials full throated, however he was tame last night compared to Kev.

Some of the decisions Kev was arguing against i didn't understand his justification. I thought the ref got the majority of decisions correct and was event quite lenient of Woodmans wrestling moves a couple of times. Kev even argued with the 4th official when Woodman was given his yellow for a clear foul.

Leaving aside the rebuild of the team in close season and all the planning involved, I reckon the 3 Amigos, especially Kev, will benefit from a decent holiday well away from the hurly burly of our madhouse. Them as work in stressful jobs will know just how difficult it is to unwind for the first days of a break, so his needs to reflect that as we need a refreshed coaching team for next season.

Here are my observations from last nights game.

- a lot has been said about Bridge and his assists. Fonguck has been instrumental in many of those assists without getting the credit or plaudits. There seem to be many who are not fussed about him not being in the squad for the last 2 games. I am not one of them.
- Many have commented about Mortons contribution to the game being positive. I didn't see that on show. I can't remember one great pass or tackle that demonstrated the hype about his involvement that others seemed to witness.
- Like many, I agree, Miley is not the same Miley post injury and this has been clear and obvious.
- Husin had his best game by far for a long time. Again I think his been very pedestrian recently and has added to the lack of drive the midfield has generated over recent weeks.
- Another frustrating performance from our front 2. There are signs that they have an understanding but maybe I have to be more patient.
- As for GSM. I have nothing but praise for him 6 goals for the season to date and a well deserved call up for the England C squad. I see his contribution this season as being above that of Bridge and my Player of the Season.

My final thought is for Jack Wood. Like many he seems to be out of favour for one reason or another. He deserves a chance. He has doesn't nothing wrong in the cameo appearances that he has had. Unlike others that get selected or given game time week after week.

UTB!

Agree about Wood, does he ever play the full 90?

Hoping Cardwell/Waldron continue to gel and can be a fighting force for next season.

Quite measured for Marc. I only counted 2 words that would fall foul of the swear filter on here.

One thing I wasn't expecting was that the 4th official was getting more earache from Kev than Marc. I've watched Bunch of Amateurs since lockdown and followed Dorking and Marc puts his view across to the officials full throated, however he was tame last night compared to Kev.

Some of the decisions Kev was arguing against i didn't understand his justification. I thought the ref got the majority of decisions correct and was event quite lenient of Woodmans wrestling moves a couple of times. Kev even argued with the 4th official when Woodman was given his yellow for a clear foul.
Marc is normally the nutter on the bus....not tonight!

Agree about Wood, does he ever play the full 90?

Hoping Cardwell/Waldron continue to gel and can be a fighting force for next season.
Think there is a common theme here, Wood showed absolute skill and quality with that goal, Dackers is skill and quality on the ball, and so is Wes F.....Bench utd these three, i wonder why?

This might have been said already so apologies if it has, but the frustration in some fans I think is down to the years of pain and finally being able to see some day light and just not being able to move toward it quick enough. It’s natural I think and as long as we can all just take stock of where have been and the progress we are now just starting to see, it shouldn’t be toxic. If it raises expectations in a healthy way, it could really drive the team on.

Just about balance innit
Years of pain !!! Following Southend united !! Surly not ( lol ) 😂

You don’t believe it?

There’s plenty of posts across multiple threads that would back this up.

People have been calling for his head - albeit quietly - ever since the 7-game losing streak.

When we go on a bad run, like recently, those voices get just a little bit louder.

If you go back to the PMT from the Gateshead/York/Oxford games, you’ll see what I mean. It’s also no coincidence that those games will produce much busier threads on here, than when we win (at a canter, like yesterday for example).

But what do fans want? If you’d done a poll back in July, most of us would have said survival. Some would have said a mid table finish. The notion we’d not only survive but be the best defensive team in the league & amassed 60 points by game 38 would have been laughed out of here.

I agree, the football at times is ponderous and slow. I agree that at times it’s frustrating and we seem to be the masters of our own downfall. I agree that it could be better.

But I also look at it and realise it could have been much much worse.

FWIW, I don’t think Kev is particularly bothered about fans shouting shoot, but is using it more as a point. We can all shout whatever we like, but it’s not our jobs on the line.

He’s worked miracles under the circumstances, but I guess it takes it toll when you’ve got butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, coaching from the stands.
With the embargo lifted (for good, hopefully) Kev is going to find himself under pressure to deliver promotion. He's done hugely well with a tiny squad but less well when the squad has got slightly bigger - we've dropped a number of silly points recently.
Next season, if we drop silly points to teams like Wealdstone at home and Oxford away, and he's tactically cautious (which he is) he's going to get an increasing amount of stick and I suspect he'd going to struggle to deal with that.

I enjoyed last night overall. There were still some ponderous moments, but you'll get that in most games.

I thought we were looking to feed cards and Waldron with more variety of delivery, not just from the left, but that was the side we looked to most.

Nice to see Jack come inside in the second half and unleash. I guess that's part of his repertoire that Kev will have supressed if the aim is to keep possession. I am from the "don't buy a ticket, can't win the raffle" outlook, so nice to see on occasion.

Collin contributes once again at the end. If he wants to be, he will be quite an asset to the club over the next 2-3 seasons.

Woodman impressed. Obviously the raw product at the moment and needs some coaching, which is what he is obviously here for, but seems comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Ralph solid again. Crowther below the high standards he has set himself, but put the effort in.

I don't buy the Morton and Miley can't play together. I do think the midfield has to be set differently, but with Morton spreading and taking the ball from Miley, it freed Miley up to be the "disrupter" in midfield and he looked more comfortable in that role.

It does mean Husin has to drive forward more and to be fair he did and it paid dividends for the second goal.

Although Dorking had little penetration up front, which is obviously why they are where they are, you can only beat, or try to, what is in front of you.

But solid and job done and that's good enough for me.

I would rather have Kev and his passion behind us than not, but if you are passionate about the game, you have to accept that it's not an exclusive right. How people express themselves at football is a personal thing. Providing it's not abusive, then it's part of what contributes to the atmosphere.

Kev's is the one view that matters obviously, doesn't mean having a manager who lives and breathes the club and who is credit loaded in respect is not going to hear comments in a crowd. Let's not forget that those comments are from people who also want the team to win, that passion just manifests itself differently to ours.

8 points off the play offs 8 games to go, the highest club we have to play is the final game against Solihull, so we will have an impact how the relegation places play out, but can still have a say on our season and that certainly wasn't a given at the start of this campaign.

UTB

As supporters we all have opinions on how we want our team to play and as Kev is our manager he sets the style.However of late the fanbase is showing signs of frustration due to the constant sideways and backwards movements and slow play.We play much better when we are on the front foot and higher intensity as we were in the second half against Dagenham.For some apparent reason we dont get into position to take shots at goal like the Bridge attempt last night.I get why Kev is so protected to the players some left but the majority stayed along the way not under contract and not regularly paid.I fully trust that Kev will sort it out but in the meantime we all must stay as one.We are nearly out of the mess created by one mans miss mangement just live by our name be UNITED.

I had a season ticket in the South Upper for 15+ years but moved to the East Greens as I got fed up with the people sitting around me moaning and swearing constantly. Imho East Greens is nowhere near as bad, but it all depends on who sits around you I guess.

Fwiw, I think Maher’s reaction was ott and unnecessary.

You really believe that?

Kev absolutely shouldnt be immune from any and all criticism - opinions is what football is all about and that shouldnt change. But I'd be stunned if anyone actually wants him gone, for me he's got sooooo much credit in the bank, when we had a wobble i while back, I said I'd easily back him into the NLS if that happened.
You were prominent on the thread “just asking” whether Maher should be fired. You must know full well that some harbour doubts, some weirdly don’t like his style of play and some just can’t get their head around three at the back even though the players are super comfortable playing that way. Maybe they’re not fully showing their true colours right now (Wiggy might talk ****e but is at least open about it) but the next downspell you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll be saying told you so, bumping their threads and posts when they were casting aspersions on Maher.

But I can see why people are frustrated with our play some times. Happened multiple times I counted last night with Morton, Coker, Waldron others too, got the ball on halfway, turned and had space, but you can just see it in them, they aren't allowed to be brave - they checked back - which as a watching fan is infuriating tbh. Kevs comments after the game 100% confirmed this with the Woodman comment "dont shoot, keep the ball" and that in a nutshell is Kevs philosophy and I think the players are afraid to express themselves sometimes.

Nah, players are totally allowed to express themselves by the management. Hence Noor pirouetting around in midfield, Jack Bridge turning his man three times to try and find the space to put in a cross that won’t be blocked, Woodman bursting forward and some of those positions the likes of Demi (and previously Hobson) took up. A big part of expressing themselves is playing football - as in passing the ball about, retaining possession. We’re a team of players who want to be on the ball, who express themselves by passing. They don’t express themselves by wellying it like Peter Kay and shouting it “have it”.

Players love playing for Kev: that’s a big part of why the likes of Dackers and Sandat and Lopata re-joined after loan spells and why so many hung around when they weren’t getting paid and had opportunities elsewhere.

The disconnect is with parts of the crowd starting to get on the players’ back. Maher knows this from his time here as a player when he became a boo boy. He knows that if this is creeping up in a 2-0 win during an eight match unbeaten spell than this is something that, like Karl Duguid, needs to be stamped on.

I think HMS **** the League has been counterproductive. Expectations are now so high that a 2-0 win at home somehow isn’t good enough.

The players are comfortable with the style of play: it’s now time for the crowd to learn to appreciate it.

Maybe we can borrow Phil Brown for 3 matches just to remind us how far we’ve come and how easy our style now is on the eye?

But what do fans want? If you’d done a poll back in July, most of us would have said survival. Some would have said a mid table finish. The notion we’d not only survive but be the best defensive team in the league & amassed 60 points by game 38 would have been laughed out of here.
I think fans want (and expect) to finish in a higher league position this season than last, albeit with a 10 points deduction.

With the embargo lifted (for good, hopefully) Kev is going to find himself under pressure to deliver promotion. He's done hugely well with a tiny squad but less well when the squad has got slightly bigger - we've dropped a number of silly points recently.
Next season, if we drop silly points to teams like Wealdstone at home and Oxford away, and he's tactically cautious (which he is) he's going to get an increasing amount of stick and I suspect he'd going to struggle to deal with that.

I agree to an extent, especially that the pressure will be on to gain promotion.

Some have already written him off as the man to do that. Most are willing to wait and see what he can do.

I think fans want (and expect) to finish in a higher league position this season than last, albeit with a 10 points deduction.

We finished 8th last year. It seems unlikely we’ll go one better this season, and not many people would have expected to be a playoff team back in July. Even the most ardent critic wouldn’t have expected that.

We can compare stats though. We finished on 69 points last year. This year we’ve earned 60 so far, with 24 still up for grabs.

We won 20 games last year, drawing 9 and losing 17. We’re on a similar trajectory this year as we’ve won 17, drawn 9 and lost 12 as it stands. There’s every chance we improve on last years final results.

We only scored 57 goals last term and was a clear area we needed to improve. We have scored 57 now, with 8 games left to improve upon last seasons tally. Seems likely we will do that.

We conceded 45 goals last year, which was impressive, and 39 this year so far, which is again impressive. Barring any disastrous collapses, our final GD should improve this season.

I think it’s hard to argue that we haven’t improved, even if it’s marginally. With a pre-season behind us, no embargo, no points deductions and an ability to sign our first choice players, I think next season will be very exciting.

Back in December we still didnt know if we would have a club to support. Three months on we do. Embargo lifted, new players signed, existing players offered long term deals. We then have a blip and lose a few, arguably we could have won all of them apart from Chesterfield away. Performance levels dropped during that period but it wasnt through want of trying. I see someone mention on this thread that maybe Kev, the players and fans need this season to end, re set and come back stronger next season. I can see their point. the atmosphere in RH seems flat and performances on the pitch similar. Both feed off each other. However, we ar 8 unbeaten with 4 wins in that run. Pulled away from the relegation zone and not far off the play offs. Players like Miley, Husin, Wes etc have had off days but o dont think any of us appreciate what theyve all been through this season both mentally and physically. Kev said last night its miraculous what weve achieved and our performances actually deserve a play off place. i make him 100% correct. At the start of the season based on our situation finishing one place above relegation was the target. none of us knew what was going to follow in the coming months but the team dug in deep and got some incredible results home and away. I think they are now tired and ready for a break and i dont blame them. But surely as a fan base we need to give them credit where credit is due. In the summer Kev and co will recruit maybe 4/5 new players and i assume we will lose a couple, Wes maybe one as not mentioned in contract deals with Dackers and Sandat going back to their clubs. I have confidence in Kev and Still to find the right players and maybe with a full preseason training/matches we will see a new style of play or more options to make in game changes. But lets be honest its been a unprecedented season on and off the pitch and one thing this group don't deserve is the criticism and flack they've been getting. I get the 'we pay our money so we have the right to moan etc' but surely take a step back and appreciate what this group has done for the club and us fans. For me they are all heros.

If our glorious leader is gas lit by the odd wally in the stands then I dread to think what he'll be like when all the "Johnny comes lately' s" start rocking up after we begin to climb the tables.

Those type of football fans are intolerable to say the least.

In all fairness he is just as passionate about the club as we are so there are going to be occasions where things get heated but I would rather that, than someone who is just gonna throw his players under the bus (like a certain sun tanned man).

It's been a long winded and stressful season for us all and the sooner its over and we can all regroup together and be 100% free of that utter wrongen Martin the better.

Back