• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Speed Guns

If you're over the limit, I reckon you're going to get something dropping through the door in a few days.

Sorry mate :(

if it's a handheld gun i would have thought the copper further up the road would hae pulled out to stopped you if you had been speeding.

If you're over the limit, I reckon you're going to get something dropping through the door in a few days.

Sorry mate :(

Yeah, I think you could be right. I've only ever been done by the sneaky beaky mobile ones that flash or by police officers who then pull you over. This was just a stand alone bloke pointing the gun at people. I expected there to be another car up the motorway pulling over the worst offenders but there was nobody. I'm kind of hoping this bloke was just there to scare people but I think I may be clutching at straws....;)

I got caught by a gun before. They normally have another copper up the road who will pull you so hopefully you will be safe mate.

if it's a handheld gun i would have thought the copper further up the road would hae pulled out to stopped you if you had been speeding.

That's what I thought. I was definitely speeding (absent minded speeding rather than boy racer speeding :angel: ) but there was no other police car around. Maybe the kit they use now doesn't need anyone else......

No you will not I on several occasions have gone past one 5/10 mph too fast on the A130 and have never recieved anything but another time I went past the bloke in front of me was doing about 90 and I was doing 70 and he held his gun up jumped into his car and chased after him!

So you shouldn't get anything.

No you will not I on several occasions have gone past one 5/10 mph too fast on the A130 and have never recieved anything but another time I went past the bloke in front of me was doing about 90 and I was doing 70 and he held his gun up jumped into his car and chased after him!

So you shouldn't get anything.

Cheers Rico, hope you're right on this one.....:rolleyes:

i nearly got caught by a speed camera on the london road before. only going about 5-10 mph over the limit. i know where all the speed camera are around here but i had just dropped the mrs parents off at a bar in chalkwell and there was a guy on a bike going in the opposite direction and he must have ****ed as he was all over the place. he suddenly crashed into the curb and went over the handle bars with bags of shopping exploding all the road. turned back to look at the road to see the speed camera but just managed to break in time. it was pretty funny though!

That's about right. From experience, if they want to book you, they'll pull you over there and then.

On a traditional speed gun then that is the norm I would have said. They either chase you and stop you or, as is the case these days, have a layby full of coppers up the road ready to pull you over.

Its the sneaky ones in vans that you have to watch that can record your number plate.

I have even seen the ones whereby they have a van on one bridge over the m25 and then a second one a few miles round the m25.....average speed cameras! So like the ones seen in the m25 roadworks by the A10 but these are in vans....shocking tactics!

Got done by one on the dreaded trip to Grimsby when we blew promotion. White van with a camera out of the back of it. Did not get pulled over just an INP 7 days later in the post. 3 points and £60 fine.

It's entirely possible that the gun trapped your speed, and the officer caught your number plate himself. In which case, he/she may use thier discretion, and only record the serious offenders.

It's also entrely possible that the camera caught your plate, and there is nothing the officer can do.

Simple solution. Don't speed. (Says me, who is 99% sure I'm gonna get done for doing about 37 on Prittlewell Chase on Wednesday.)

Oh, either way, if you get done, enquire as to when the speed gun was calibrated...

Got done by one on the dreaded trip to Grimsby when we blew promotion. White van with a camera out of the back of it. Did not get pulled over just an INP 7 days later in the post. 3 points and £60 fine.

That day in Grimsby really was a collective kick in the nuts for Shrimpers....a speeding ticket must have rounded off the perfect day.....:cry:

Remember if it is a hand held one and you do get something through the door, you can always contest it. A lot of fines have been kicked out from hand held as there is proof that these devices can record houses doing speed upto 15miles which of course it is not just that the movement of the operator causes this variance.

Also they have been found to lock onto the wrong car unless of course you were the only one on the road this could help.

Cameras on tripods and in Vans are not covered by these findings.

Thwy'll send a letter to whoever DVLA has the car registered to. You can either accept the 3 point/60 quid fine or go to court.

You can go to court and there are a number of technicalities you can use to get off it, but if it's your first 3 points then don't bother, your insurance premuim won't go up for for first 3 points.

I've been done twice now. First time was driving up to Cardiff for the Southend-Wrexham LDV final (they had a camera on a bridge in Monmouthshire - a few people got caught out by it I seem to recall - there was definitely a thread on here about it) and then last year on the A13 in London. For having 6 points on my licence my insurance went up by 200 quid :guns:

Cheers for the advice - what makes you say that?

Speed guns have to be calibrated, and will therefore have a calibration certificate. If that is not valid, then there is no proof that the camera is accurate. Again, I'm not totally sure, but if you're desperate to get off, ie you've already got enough points, or you need a squeaky clean license for work, then anythings worth a try.

I've also heard that if you get a fine for £60 and you send them a cheque for £60.01p, then they have to send you a cheque for a penny, and you have to pay it in, before they can pay thier cheque in.

Back