• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Laurent signs

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
On the OS, Laurent has signed a new two and a half year contract. Surprised that no one has responded to Chris Phillips article in the Echo, stating that it's time to stop tinkering with side and that the lack of success this season is down to not having a settled team.

lack of success this year is down to having a 5hite defence we need a defensive clearout in jan at least three new defenders is a must IMO

but who have we got that we can clear out? I wouldn't sell Barrett, I would personally like to keep Clarke although selling him may be the only way to finance getting in a decent CB and LB. Herd needs to get games and I'm happy with him as 2nd choice LB. Sankofa will have to go at the end of the season I reckon, he is terrible. We also need cover at RB

For once I actually agree with Chris Phillips. I think, apart from the defensive frailties, the chopping and changing is a big part in why we've been so middle of the road. As I stated the other day, it took a while for the original batch of young loan players to settle in and now that they've gone we've got to wait for the second batch to settle in.

I still don't fully understand why Sawyer, Christophe and Robson-Kanu weren't signed until January instead of the short team loans, as surely it clicked with the management that we'd go into December without them and we'd have to get more signings in.

For once I actually agree with Chris Phillips. I think, apart from the defensive frailties, the chopping and changing is a big part in why we've been so middle of the road. As I stated the other day, it took a while for the original batch of young loan players to settle in and now that they've gone we've got to wait for the second batch to settle in.

I still don't fully understand why Sawyer, Christophe and Robson-Kanu weren't signed until January instead of the short team loans, as surely it clicked with the management that we'd go into December without them and we'd have to get more signings in.

Makes sense sign em up til January if they dont work out send em back!

I don't think that there are many people on here that would complain about the quality of virtually all the loan signings Tilly has brought in. I have already stated that what is lacking is the continuity and as you say, with the parting of the above mentioned players, we are a going to be a much weakened side until the January transfer window opens.
I did, perhaps naively, believe that the bringing in of the three new loan signings for December was going to bolster things up..........however, on the evidence of the Leicester game, we are still lacking, especially in midfield.
Thus, in my view, the essentials for giving a kick start to the post-xmas campaign are 1) Signing JFC (hopefully a virtual 'done deal') 2) The signing of Sawyer (Less sure......no news from Ron's presumed meeting with Chelsea which I understood was going discuss Sawyers possible future with us?) 3) If Harding doesn't stay.....a permenant replacement for him. 4) A commanding central defender. 5) A wideman in the Stanislas/HRK mould.
6) Two fit strikers, namely Barnard and Freedman. That'll do for starters....
.......not asking for much......is it??????
Even, if all this comes to fruition, by the time we settle down again I fear that the leading pack could be too far away and I suppose I would settle for the solid base of a quality side that could challenge the best next season.

There are two types of loans: emergency loans and standard loans.

You can only make standard loans during the transfer window and the player can only return to their parent club in 6 or 12 months' time.

Emergency loans can be for a minimum of 28 days and a maximum of 93 days.

Harding is a standard loan, the rest are emergency loans. Most clubs will only let players out on emergency loans so that they can recall them if needed.

As many people pointed out in the summer, the preparations for this season appeared from the outside to be fairly shambolic. Lots of players were signed late, or on loans of different lengths, we signed Furlong too early, panicked with Grant and Sankofa (perhaps), we certainly didn't replace Gower (still haven't, although we've bizarely just signed three left wingers on loan in the space of a week) and we didn't change a central defensive pairing that had been faulty for two seasons. We also lost Bailey just as the season started which was obviously a huge blow. Added to the mix has been the loaning out of two players- Moussa and Scannell- who most probably thought would be regulars this season. With all the recent comings and goings, it seems as if we are just making it up as we go along.

However, I really hope we are not and while we'll probably need to be patient, I'm sure T & B do have in mind a squad with the right attributes to make a sustained push for promotion and to compete better at the higher level. Personally I'm really pleased with the more 'athletic' signings such as Laurent, Betsy, JFC and even Revell- these are the kinds of players with the legs we needed to compete a couple of years ago.

As many people pointed out in the summer, the preparations for this season appeared from the outside to be fairly shambolic. Lots of players were signed late, or on loans of different lengths, we signed Furlong too early, panicked with Grant and Sankofa (perhaps), we certainly didn't replace Gower (still haven't, although we've bizarely just signed three left wingers on loan in the space of a week) and we didn't change a central defensive pairing that had been faulty for two seasons. We also lost Bailey just as the season started which was obviously a huge blow. Added to the mix has been the loaning out of two players- Moussa and Scannell- who most probably thought would be regulars this season. With all the recent comings and goings, it seems as if we are just making it up as we go along.

However, I really hope we are not and while we'll probably need to be patient, I'm sure T & B do have in mind a squad with the right attributes to make a sustained push for promotion and to compete better at the higher level. Personally I'm really pleased with the more 'athletic' signings such as Laurent, Betsy, JFC and even Revell- these are the kinds of players with the legs we needed to compete a couple of years ago.

If only we still had the skill players like Gower and Eastwood to play alongside them! For the first time in many a year, we don't really have someone with that type of ability on the ball.

Personally I think Grant and Sankofa were good signings for depth - something everyone was wailing about us lacking.

We lost both Gower and Bailey late on in preparations. Gower really should have given us an answer earlier as to whether he was going to sign (and we should have given him a new contract a lot earlier as well) and the club couldn't have done too much about Bailey if no-one came in with an offer until late. To replace two championship quality midfielders was always going to be a struggle, let alone late on in the day.

I'd like to think the decision to place Clarke on the list was also a footballing decision and had we received an offer whereby we got a part of our investment in him back, we could have used that money to upgrade.

I really can't accept that we panicked over Grant, plans were already in place at the end of last season, and most people seemed to want him to sign. What's changed? He's a useful player, but will he be happy to play that "filling in" kind of role.

I really can't accept that we panicked over Grant,

My reasoning on this is because after our frustrations in signing midfielders, Tilson was questioned about us renewing our interest in Grant, and he said words to the effect of 'sometimes it is better the devil you know'. To me it always sounded as if he signed Grant because he couldn't get some of the other players- maybe ball-players- who were higher on his shortlist. If he was desparate to sign Grant then surely he could have done so in June rather than wait until a few days before the first game of the season. Furthermore, it could not really be said that Tilson has placed any faith in Grant since he has signed- Moussa, Sawyer, JFC and now Milsom have all got the nod ahead of Grant.

I don't really think Grant has been given too much of a chance. Most of the time when he has played he has been played of of position, people forget he is a defensive midfielder and when Tilson plays him he is usually out wide. I would give him another chance just until the arival of Christophe.

I don't really think Grant has been given too much of a chance. Most of the time when he has played he has been played of of position, people forget he is a defensive midfielder and when Tilson plays him he is usually out wide. I would give him another chance just until the arival of Christophe.

Which is what I thought should have happened on Saturday, and hope will happen this week.

He must be one of the players Tilson doesn't like. You can't play a winger in a defensive position when you are away to the league leaders. We need a major reshuffle in Januay though.

There are two types of loans: emergency loans and standard loans.

You can only make standard loans during the transfer window and the player can only return to their parent club in 6 or 12 months' time.

Emergency loans can be for a minimum of 28 days and a maximum of 93 days.

Harding is a standard loan, the rest are emergency loans. Most clubs will only let players out on emergency loans so that they can recall them if needed.

I thought if you were aged 19 or under you could only go on loan for 3 months ??

I wouldnt say we need a major reshuffle, if you do that sort of thing in the middle of a season it can lead to self destruction.
Maybe major was a bit over the top but I just think we need a change in the defence. Surely if Tilson wanted a defender we would have got one in by now. Surely he must know this is our priority.

Question............Is Tilly becoming addicted to loan players? An article in todays Echo states that he would like to keep Harding at least till the end of the season and bring back Sawyer. However, according to him, it's out of his hands and down to Chelsea and Ipswich as to whether they will loan them to us or another club, or sell them on.
I suppose the question one asks, is, that whilst I rate Harding highly and Sawyer very highly......do we attempt to build a team on players that going to depart, at best, at the end of the season? I have been a great enthusiast about Tilly's recent loan signings but I have always seen them as a stop gap solution whilst we are searching for quality permanent signings. I know that a number of our loanees have ended up our players after having stayed with us for a spell. However, is keeping loan players in vital positions, that we are pretty certain we won't be able to sign, a good idea?
In the end, if it is a choice between a) keeping Sawyer and Harding in the short term, or b) struggling on with what we've got or bringing in other loan signings, I would certainly go for the former. I am quite prepared to accept a mid-table position this season as long as I can see some evidence of the construction of a team of permanent players that will be in contention next season. It's starting to worry me a bit that, with the employment of loanees, this vital building work may be delayed, rather like that of the new stadium.

Back