• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Tilly fails for another striker!

The second one is clearly Jevons, still think the first was probably Dickinson (all set for Leeds now I believe).

I can see why Tilly is looking for strikers with the injury's...........but we need winger(s)..............

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1580154,00.html

But do we really need wingers at this time? Maybe in the summer yes as I agree more creativity is needed. However I think one of the other reasons we look so solid defensively at the moment (obviously secondary to the arrival of Dervite) is that Grant is playing right-side. I know I'd rather have him in front of Sankofa than a creative but lazy winger at this moment in time. Remember the great job Bentley used to do for us in right midfield? Well for me Granty has done the same these last few games.

But do we really need wingers at this time? Maybe in the summer yes as I agree more creativity is needed. However I think one of the other reasons we look so solid defensively at the moment (obviously secondary to the arrival of Dervite) is that Grant is playing right-side. I know I'd rather have him in front of Sankofa than a creative but lazy winger at this moment in time. Remember the great job Bentley used to do for us in right midfield? Well for me Granty has done the same these last few games.

Yes I don't have a problem with Grant playing on the right for the rest of the season, but, and I know I'm repeating myself again, the left side is the problem. If Barrett is being kept on the left then we need a left sided midfielder. Badly. In my opinion anyway.

I agree a defensive minded wide man has helped but 2 is a luxury we cant afford,againts millwall and crewe once they took the lead we had no width to brake them down,we need more options at times like these.
If we take the lead againts teams that attack us this is fine but not when they come to defend.

yeovil
huddesfield
millwall
crewe
brighton

All teams come to roots hall to defend and left with the full 3 points.

peterborough
leeds
orient
bristol rvrs
tranmere
scunthorpe

All teams who came to attack us who left with nothing

It does not take a lot for mangers to work us out,if walsall come to defend on sat and score an early goal(proberly ricketts) they will win,if they attack then weve got a chance.

Last edited:
Yes I don't have a problem with Grant playing on the right for the rest of the season, but, and I know I'm repeating myself again, the left side is the problem. If Barrett is being kept on the left then we need a left sided midfielder. Badly. In my opinion anyway.

Wouldn't disagree with that, Moussa is a square peg in a round hole and as I said before we do need at least *one winger (particularly down the left side) however I don't believe it's urgent, this season has gone and I'd much rather Tilly took his time and brought a quality player in for that position rather than a panic signing.

It'd be great if we could find a way Moussa could play centrally although that doesn't look possible right now, he simply has to play however.

* I am firmly of the opinion that playing 2 wingers is a bad idea and it leaves us wide open on the break, I much favour the system of playing one out-and-out winger and one central midfielder tucked in (a la Bentley/Granty) so I hope this is the trend next season.

I agree a defensive minded wide man has helped but 2 is a luxury we cant afford,againts millwall and crewe once they took the lead we had no width to brake them down,we need more options at times like these.
If we take the lead againts teams that attack us this is fine but not when they come to defend.

yeovil
huddesfield
millwall
crewe
brighton

All teams come to roots hall to defend and left with the full 3 points.

peterborough
leeds
orient
bristol rvrs
tranmere
scunthorpe

All teams who came to attack us who left with nothing

It does not take a lot for mangers to work us out,if walsall come to defend on sat and score an early goal(proberly ricketts) they will win,if they attack then weve got a chance.

Again wouldn't disagree but we're doing OK at the moment and so I don't see it as urgent, after all this season has gone. As I said in the above post I have no problem with Tilly taking his time to get a quality wide man in, it's important we get the right player(s) for what will hopefully be a promotion push next season.

Replacing Clarke (well OK we have Barrett but would need a new LB) and in particular Dervite are gonna be the tricky ones though.

Does it really matter, there is nothing to play for this season, we have Barney back on sat and Betsy can play there too. Roll on the summer and a clearout of the rubbish and some decent signings.

Roll on the summer and a clearout of the rubbish and some decent signings.

More like "roll on the summer and players we want to stay will clear-off while the rubbish remains and some rumours about decent signings and then a week of panic buys from the 4th August" :(

This one does sound like it was Jevons, but could quite easily be someone like Darren Byfield.

As for the left hand side. We do need somebody in there, be it a new left back who will get forward, or a proper winger. Tilson's best success has come having Gower on one wing and then a "grafter" on the other wing like Bentley, Pettefer or Bradbury. You have to have one proper winger in my opinion.

Does it really matter, there is nothing to play for this season, we have Barney back on sat and Betsy can play there too. Roll on the summer and a clearout of the rubbish and some decent signings.

Indeed. I don't see the logic in spending money on a loan signing when we won't go up and we won't go down.

Just make do with what we've got until May.

i would really like to see us go for hrk in the summer if his available the perfect replacement for gower,and can score a few goals at this level,as his proving at swindon.

I was never that impressed with HRK on the wing, always looked like a forward playing out of position.

Would be a good player to have though.

I was never that impressed with HRK on the wing, always looked like a forward playing out of position.

Would be a good player to have though.

He was officially a forward. He was great with us, he consistantly took on the full-back and put in alot of good crosses and corners. Which none of our current wingers do. We would be a great signing in the summer.

Back