• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC u23s - 2018/19

Hutch looked good as did Klass. First Chelt goal Smith dropped a long free kick, second he was given a short back-pass and tripped the marauding forward for a penalty (scored). My pic of the bunch - Klass, Hutch and the number 5.

Anyone pushing for a place in the first team? Sounds like Hutchinson was well involved.
No,definitely nobody pushing .
Klass gave the ball away much too often,Hutchinson probably looked the most likely in this young side.
Bad errors for their 2nd and 3rd goals (by GK and CH).

Enjoyed the game, Klass did lots of difficult stuff really well but then seemed to mess up the easier stuff. I thought Amadou Ba and Rene Batlokwa both did well. Wabo did alright too. I thought individually that members of the defence were quite tidy but they didn't seem to work as a unit too well. Isaac Hutchinson was, as you'd expect, our stand out player. Ted looked a bit wobbly in goal and was nowhere near as vocal as I remember from youth matches in the past in the 1st half, but he looked - and sounded - better in the 2nd.

Worth noting that Cheltenham had three senior squad members, including a giant of a CB (Matt Bower) who did a really nasty challenge on Klass.....that may have been in retaliation for a challenge that Klass did on their Tom Smith earlier in the game which ended up with some pushing and shoving. Both these two players are listed as being currently "out on loan", so not sure how that works?

Worth noting that Cheltenham had three senior squad members, including a giant of a CB (Matt Bower) ?

6' 5" He is. He looked out of place. We think his son came on in the second half. :Smile:

That Tom Smith was a bit aggressive after that incident :Unsure:

Smith and Bower both scored.Strongly suspect it was the 3rd squad member who converted the pen.

SOUTHEND United coach Kevin Maher hailed his under 23 side’s fighting spirit after they staged a stunning late fight back to beat Cheltenham Town 4-3 at Roots Hall yesterday.

More...

I can’t get my head around why Charlie Kelman isn’t playing in these games?

He’s getting minimal minutes on a Saturday and having no real impact at all and as a consequence is missing all his youth games on a Saturday morning.....

To not have him playing 23s games on a Tuesday afternoon is ludicrous!!

There is so much he has to learn and 23s is still a big stepping stone for him from kids football....yesterday he’d have been up against by all accounts a 1st team centre back who was 6’5” and he’d have had to really extend himself to achieve any kind of success....a challenge he more often than not doesn’t ever encounter in the 18s.

There is no way on earth that with him just getting minutes here and there that he is THAT vital to the squad in a Saturday so as not to risk him in a 23s on a Tuesday!

I feel for Wabo (and Hutchinson and Klass), who have gone out worked, competed and done the business at a level that Charlie seemingly doesn’t need to even prove himself at and a level he could learn so much from....very strange to me.

I can’t get my head around why Charlie Kelman isn’t playing in these games?

He’s getting minimal minutes on a Saturday and having no real impact at all and as a consequence is missing all his youth games on a Saturday morning.....

To not have him playing 23s games on a Tuesday afternoon is ludicrous!!

There is so much he has to learn and 23s is still a big stepping stone for him from kids football....yesterday he’d have been up against by all accounts a 1st team centre back who was 6’5” and he’d have had to really extend himself to achieve any kind of success....a challenge he more often than not doesn’t ever encounter in the 18s.

There is no way on earth that with him just getting minutes here and there that he is THAT vital to the squad in a Saturday so as not to risk him in a 23s on a Tuesday!

I feel for Wabo (and Hutchinson and Klass), who have gone out worked, competed and done the business at a level that Charlie seemingly doesn’t need to even prove himself at and a level he could learn so much from....very strange to me.
Yet another management decision that is hard to understand. I hope this is not down to favouritism or external pressure we have no knowledge of.

Worth noting that Cheltenham had three senior squad members, including a giant of a CB (Matt Bower) who did a really nasty challenge on Klass.....that may have been in retaliation for a challenge that Klass did on their Tom Smith earlier in the game which ended up with some pushing and shoving. Both these two players are listed as being currently "out on loan", so not sure how that works?

That's because they are.

Matt Bower is playing for Weston-super-Mare (who are battling it out with East Thurrock to avoid the drop down to the Isthmian League level - doubt either will make it). Tom Smith plays, when selected, for Bath City who are doing rather better in the same division.

Loan players can return to play for their parent clubs in development matches.

I kind of get that youngsters do, but these were clearly senior players.

Clearly senior players ? They meet the U23 criteria of the competition with 2 or 3 years to spare and have zero League starts between them for Cheltenham. Not sure how you define "senior".

Clearly senior players ? They meet the U23 criteria of the competition with 2 or 3 years to spare and have zero League starts between them for Cheltenham. Not sure how you define "senior".

Well actually I thought Isaac started against Gills and Plymouth. Klass started at Accrington

EDIT: Sorry you was on about Cheltenham .... my bad

Not sure whether they were starts or not but Matt Bower, Tom Smith and George Lloyd all have several league appearances under their belts....

George lloyd - 9 league Two, 2 EFL Cup - 2 goals
Tom Smith - 10 league One, 2 EFL Cup, 4 Checkatrade
Matt Bower - 3 league Two, 4 Checkatrade

Not sure of any others had first team experience? But similar numbers to Klass, Hutchinson, Wabo?

Back