• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100 Greatest Stand Ups

Vote below:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/...d-ups/articles/greatest-stand-ups-of-all-time

My two-penneth worth:

- A vote for Stewart Lee is a vote for common sense
- Michael McIntyre's nomination is a travesty
- Bas Savage is a GLARING omission. Perhaps his inability to stay on his feet was a factor.

Just in case you would like to know, Stewart Lee is currently touring and is playing in Chelmsford on the 4th Feb. I see him up in London just before christmas, absolute Legend!!!

Vote below:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/...d-ups/articles/greatest-stand-ups-of-all-time

My two-penneth worth:

- A vote for Stewart Lee is a vote for common sense
- Michael McIntyre's nomination is a travesty
- Bas Savage is a GLARING omission. Perhaps his inability to stay on his feet was a factor.

I've seen around a 5th of those on that list live and IMO Daniel Kitson is easily the best stand-up around at the moment. Stewart Lee is though excellent.

It's become fashionable to hate McIntyre who isn't nearly as bad as his detractors make out (although not as good as his supporters make out either).

Where's Bernard Manning?

Answers on a postcode to........

The Left Wing Brigade,
Lefty Land,
Leftshire.
UK Council of Muslims.
Englandistan.

Last edited:
For me, Delirious was good, but not a patch on "Raw". I've seen it so many times, and it still makes me crease up.

I like Frankie Boyle, but most of his stuff is lifted from Sickipedia.

Richard Pryor is a ****ing legend. His 1979(?) show is the best. He is brilliant

Yeah Raw>Delirious both quallity though. Pryor is the man!

Just in case you would like to know, Stewart Lee is currently touring and is playing in Chelmsford on the 4th Feb. I see him up in London just before christmas, absolute Legend!!!

I saw him in the Palace Theatre in November. The pear cider rant was genius!

I've seen around a 5th of those on that list live and IMO Daniel Kitson is easily the best stand-up around at the moment. Stewart Lee is though excellent.

It's become fashionable to hate McIntyre who isn't nearly as bad as his detractors make out (although not as good as his supporters make out either).

Agreed on Kitson, it's insane he isn't more well known, definitely one of the greatest stand ups we've got at the moment.

Perhaps I was a little harsh on McIntyre, but a lot of his material is weak and he's overly reliant on a lot of hair-wobbling, gurning and silly voices. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the material I feel that lets him down.

Anyhow I voted for the following:

Bill Hicks
Richard Prior
Daniel Kitson
George Carlin
Stewart Lee.

Gutted Doug Stanhope wasn't nominated.

Yep I think McIntyre is pretty funny. Will have to check out Kitson

Cannot stand Macintyre.
For me Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor are head and shoulders above all other stand ups. Depressing when you see mediocre acts selling out the O2.

Julian Clary - when he was doing the pub circuit circa '86 in London (with 'Fanny The Wonder Dog') - was the funniest stand-up I've ever seen. Saw Stewart Lee a few years after ('91, IIRC) down in Clapham. Droll, but nowhere near as cutting as JC.

Last edited:
I saw him in the Palace Theatre in November. The pear cider rant was genius!

HAHA!!!

"Give it to me straight, like a pear cider, made from 100% pears."

So good. He was on Celebrity Mastermind the other week as well and is a very clever guy, I think he actually won on his night with a very good score.

What I like about Stewart Lee is how he tells a story that isn't particularly funny, yet he makes it funny, and then at the end just goes, "yeah well it didn't happen anyway" in a very ironic way. It's so clever because when you listen to other comedians they clearly just make up there story's but still try and make you believe them as if they actually have done it, when deep down you always know they never did.

I also love Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor is bit of a leg-end, but as a few have already said, michael mcintyre is the most over rated comedian, possibly of all time. I was really anticipating his live dvd, but when i watched it i felt i had lost a vast amount of brain cells! very poor for someone that is so hyped!

He doesn't want to be - he actually requested that his name was withdrawn from the list last time around and doesn't do TV.

Kitson used to host the newbies night at the Comedy Cafe near Liverpool Street on a Wednesday night. God forbid you tried to heckle him, he'd rip you a new butthole and make you look an absolute twunt.

Back