• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

18 year old student

This young lady is setting a very bad example for women. I slo think she is lying about being offered 10 grand.

I'm sick of whinging f*cking students complaining about paying for their education.

I left University with 15K worth of debt and this was six years ago, before top up fees were introduced. I got on with it and paid it back.

I don't agree with top up fees because they prevent students from the very lowest income families from going to university whilst having zero effect on those who get mummy and daddy to pay them (no doubt after a parent funded gap year trip to South America to discover themself.)

The answer is simple, everyone who graduates from University pays a slightly higher rate of income tax. If you can't find a job you pay back nothing. If you get a sh*t job you pay back very little. If you get a decent job you pay back a fair amount and if you get a fantistic job you pay back a lot.

If those who didn't get decent jobs didn't contribute to funding the University system I am pretty sure we would see a massive drop in the number of worthless degree courses offered by ex polytechnics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,08:28)]This young lady is setting a very bad example for women. I slo think she is lying about being offered 10 grand.

I'm sick of whinging f*cking students complaining about paying for their education.

I left University with 15K worth of debt and this was six years ago, before top up fees were introduced. I got on with it and paid it back.

I don't agree with top up fees because they prevent students from the very lowest income families from going to university whilst having zero effect on those who get mummy and daddy to pay them (no doubt after a parent funded gap year trip to South America to discover themself.)

The answer is simple, everyone who graduates from University pays a slightly higher rate of income tax. If you can't find a job you pay back nothing. If you get a sh*t job you pay back very little. If you get a decent job you pay back a fair amount and if you get a fantistic job you pay back a lot.

If those who didn't get decent jobs didn't contribute to funding the University system I am pretty sure we would see a massive drop in the number of worthless degree courses offered by ex polytechnics.
Couldnt have put it better myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 27 2004,09:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,08:28)]This young lady is setting a very bad example for women. I slo think she is lying about being offered 10 grand.

Would you like a position in my shadow cabinet?

smile.gif

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with some of the sentiments of Magnum PI and Napster, I also think the government's plans are totally half-baked.

Irrespective of whether top-up fees are a good or bad thing - and it depends on whether one sees tertiary education as a privilege or instead as something which might ultimately benefit the nation - Blair's proposals for variable fees strike me as a total disaster.

If this Labour government is all about equal opportunities for all, then these plans are quite plainly in total contradiction of that basic ethos. Variable fees will mean, sooner or later, that a select few universities will become, in effect, an Ivy League like in the US, charging attendance fees in the order of £20K per year to attend them.

And if that's not a sure-fire way to ensure that the only people applying to Oxbridge are, in Magnum's words:

"those who get mummy and daddy to pay them (no doubt after a parent funded gap year trip to South America to discover themself)"

then I don't know what is.

rock.gif

As for tertiary education generally, and how it might benefit the nation, it strikes me (for example) that it's certainly been a good thing for the Chancellor that I went to Uni and got a degree - since, instead of paying £3K tax a year on my earnings as a non-university educated English teacher, I pay quite considerably in excess of that as a graduate lawyer.

Matt

There was a Dr from Buckingham Uni on GMTV this morning and his words summed it up for me "are we going to let people live in a fantasy world where everything is free or are we going to bring people into the real world where you pay for what you get".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 27 2004,10:48)]There was a Dr from Buckingham Uni on GMTV this morning and his words summed it up for me "are we going to let people live in a fantasy world where everything is free or are we going to bring people into the real world where you pay for what you get".
Given the society those So called experts live in , would you really want to pay for it ! And what twaddle this persons speaks if he thinks he lives in "the real world"

On a more serious note , its really just a form of social enginerring in its infancey. I do agree there are far to many fluffy degrees around , however the mainpulation of funding to exclude a segment of socitey to ensure a "working" class whos vocational outlets are predetermined by others should be aborant to anyone on this list . Yes im aware this has been how our society has been for the past Nth years , however it does show that any form of this manipulation causes a self destructive and loathing society due to this segregation.

That's is all very well but you're missing the scariest and most serious point of all here.....

Who the f**k offered to pay £10,000 to sleep with that minger???

She looks like the kind of lesbian cast-off you'd saw your own arm off to get away from were you to wake up next to her. Imagine waking up next to THAT AND being £10,000 worse off???

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 27 2004,10:48)]There was a Dr from Buckingham Uni on GMTV this morning and his words summed it up for me "are we going to let people live in a fantasy world where everything is free or are we going to bring people into the real world where you pay for what you get".
Hmm... Buckingham Uni, until now the only fee-paying university in the country.

One may well ask:

1. Why is he there as opposed to a (currently) non fee-paying Uni?
2. Does he have an axe to grind?

rock.gif

And, presumably, as someone who is about to enter the NHS, its an extraordinarily naive thing to say.

It really depends, I suppose, on what sort of society we want - one where we all take things like a free health service and a free education (including tertiary education) for granted, and pay taxes accordingly; or one where, quite simply, you get what you pay for, and pay low taxes as a result.

In other words, and put simplistically, do we want to be like Sweden or the USA?

The former pays up to 80% tax in the higher income brackets; the latter has some fantastically wealthy people on the one hand, but some extremely poor people on the other hand with little or no chance of getting out of their socio-economic situation.

I'd vote Sweden every time - a fairer, better society for all of its citizens (IMHO), even if that would result in me paying more tax as a result.

Matt

Let's just become a communist state!
mad.gif

All this stuff about it being free is absolute rubbish, IMO it is impossible to fund free education as it is now. If you were going to have it paid by the state then you would need fewer people going which defies the object. I think that poorer students should be given money.

One thing that I can see that would be for state paid universities (which would be impossible people may say that Scotland have free universities, but I believe this is not the whole truth) is that students would be picked with brains rather than rich Daddies and Mummies!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,09:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 27 2004,09:11)]
[b said:

Would you like a position in my shadow cabinet?

smile.gif
why not?

cool.gif

<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Imagine being as ugly as say, MF, £10,000 for you then would be a bargain....</span>
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Jan. 27 2004,11:26)]That's is all very well but you're missing the scariest and most serious point of all here.....

Who the f**k offered to pay £10,000 to sleep with that minger???

She looks like the kind of lesbian cast-off you'd saw your own arm off to get away from were you to wake up next to her. Imagine waking up next to THAT AND being £10,000 worse off???

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
I understand she has a fondness for sovereign rings.

Absolute nutter. She was the original TBM in waiting so I assume she has a couple of kids now &quot;cos&#39; family allowance is a right f***ing result.&quot;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 27 2004,10:45)]As for tertiary education generally, and how it might benefit the nation, it strikes me (for example) that it's certainly been a good thing for the Chancellor that I went to Uni and got a degree - since, instead of paying £3K tax a year on my earnings as a non-university educated English teacher, I pay quite considerably in excess of that as a graduate lawyer.

Matt
I did not goto Uni, however I am paying outrageous taxes - I think I should be given a credit to my tax code, due to fact I was not a sponging student and thus should pay less tax now.

At the end of the day this girl is taking up one of the oldest professions for a woman. Good Luck to her if someone is crazy enough to pay her £10k. This could be the step to legalising the whole industry just to get students thru Uni and more taxes to be claimed.
wink.gif

Back