• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rigsby

Life President⭐
So with 20 games played, what do people think about the players so far. I say players because we have had endless PB threads so lets not go over the same old ground.

Yes we started bad and we all know the reasons. The first 10 games we collected 11 points. In the last 10 games we have won 17 points. If collect another 17 points in the next 10, then we will definitely be in the play-offs but maybe 15 would do. 6 of the next 10 games will be at home.

Since the Rochdale horror show we have looked really strong and certainly deserved the 4 wins and could have won a couple of the recent draws. Even over the whole season the only game I can think of where you could say we nicked a point was Bolton away.

We can all see the 'Ranger' effect but there has been a huge improvement in the other key areas of the team. Oxley now looks like a decent, not just average, L1 keeper. Credit to him for coming back strong after Northampton. Anton has improved with each game and looked really top draw at Walsall and suited to the roll of captain.

Cox and Tommo acted like a good pros after being dropped and come back better players and at last without long term injuries we are seeing the best of Woody and McL. This has allowed Lenny to do what he does best and cover for others.

Demi is a very good signing and has teamed up well with my man of the week Will (run Forrest run ) Atkinson. Who would fancy being Coventry's left-mid this Saturday.

Yes some of you will be quick to say we lack depth in the squad. We now have 3 long term injuries so we certainly don't need any more But we do have some good reliable pros like White and Timlin. Some of you have all ready written AB off, but I still think we will see some good performances before the seasons out.

If we can avoid injuries I think with this squad we could have some cracking football both home and away and finish strongly......What are your thoughts.

^^^^^Constructive post Riggers.

Who are the 3 long term injuries? Coker is out until February but who are the others?
We have, IMO, only 14/15 good players for Div1, who would be in every game squad week in week out; BUT we have 20+ players on the books.
Some of those fringe players do not give me confidence as "emergency" cover, and so your theme of needing to avoid injury (and suspensions) is very important.
The transfer window might be crucial for us to strengthen and also hold onto our stalwarts.

I think Rigsby was referring to the 3 Injuries being Coker, Mooney & Inniss. As it's been reported that all of them are not expected to return until at least the end of January.

^^^^^Constructive post Riggers.

Who are the 3 long term injuries? Coker is out until February but who are the others?
We have, IMO, only 14/15 good players for Div1, who would be in every game squad week in week out; BUT we have 20+ players on the books.
Some of those fringe players do not give me confidence as "emergency" cover, and so your theme of needing to avoid injury (and suspensions) is very important.
The transfer window might be crucial for us to strengthen and also hold onto our stalwarts.

Mooney and Innis.

Have we ever had, or been able to afford a really strong squad. Think of great seasons in the past, what if we had had injuries to Freddy or even Cawston and Cusak.

I think Rigsby was referring to the 3 Injuries being Coker, Mooney & Inniss. As it's been reported that all of them are not expected to return until at least the end of January.

Ok, & thanks.
I don't think Mr Mooney has much of a future at SUFC and maybe he could be one for loaning out when fit.
Mr Inniss was (IMO) a basic 7/10 player, who made a good substitute to have available, but not first choice pick.
Coker IS a big miss to the starting line up but hopefully others will keep stepping up to the mark in his absence.

Mooney and Innis.

Have we ever had, or been able to afford a really strong squad. Think of great seasons in the past, what if we had had injuries to Freddy or even Cawston and Cusak.

True enough, but the "extra" substitution permissible and larger bench have changed a basic squad size from 18 to 23 players.
There did not used to be a no transfer period.
This is an example of a situation of when what happened, or was good enough, in the past, is not good enough now.

Ok, & thanks.
I don't think Mr Mooney has much of a future at SUFC and maybe he could be one for loaning out when fit.
Mr Inniss was (IMO) a basic 7/10 player, who made a good substitute to have available, but not first choice pick.
Coker IS a big miss to the starting line up but hopefully others will keep stepping up to the mark in his absence.

Most people would take a good sub who's 7/10 as a squad player. FWIW I thought he was better than that and was showing it at Millwall before the injurie.

True enough, but the "extra" substitution permissible and larger bench have changed a basic squad size from 18 to 23 players.
There did not used to be a no transfer period.
This is an example of a situation of when what happened, or was good enough, in the past, is not good enough now.

Yep you have a point with all of the above but what about the players we do have and how they are playing so far.

I was concerned about the strength and depth of the squad (or "group" in current vogue) and now am happy to be proven completely wrong. Long may it continue.

Current first eleven can match any side in the division from what I've seen. Fortune coming off bench for tired legs is a massive bonus as well. Timlin is back and looking hungry and looks to be decent enough cover for Coker. Don't think we have seen the last of Barrett and I expect him to be first point of call if we get a injury to one of the current centre backs.
Sick and tired of hearing the anti Mooney theme - who shall we pick on next week?

So with 20 games played, what do people think about the players so far. I say players because we have had endless PB threads so lets not go over the same old ground.

Yes we started bad and we all know the reasons. The first 10 games we collected 11 points. In the last 10 games we have won 17 points. If collect another 17 points in the next 10, then we will definitely be in the play-offs but maybe 15 would do. 6 of the next 10 games will be at home.

Since the Rochdale horror show we have looked really strong and certainly deserved the 4 wins and could have won a couple of the recent draws. Even over the whole season the only game I can think of where you could say we nicked a point was Bolton away.

We can all see the 'Ranger' effect but there has been a huge improvement in the other key areas of the team. Oxley now looks like a decent, not just average, L1 keeper. Credit to him for coming back strong after Northampton. Anton has improved with each game and looked really top draw at Walsall and suited to the roll of captain.

Cox and Tommo acted like a good pros after being dropped and come back better players and at last without long term injuries we are seeing the best of Woody and McL. This has allowed Lenny to do what he does best and cover for others.

Demi is a very good signing and has teamed up well with my man of the week Will (run Forrest run ) Atkinson. Who would fancy being Coventry's left-mid this Saturday.

Yes some of you will be quick to say we lack depth in the squad. We now have 3 long term injuries so we certainly don't need any more But we do have some good reliable pros like White and Timlin. Some of you have all ready written AB off, but I still think we will see some good performances before the seasons out.

If we can avoid injuries I think with this squad we could have some cracking football both home and away and finish strongly......What are your thoughts.

I never thought I would 'like' one of your posts, I have to say. But fair play, you (ably assisted by Phil and the boys) have proved me wrong

I love the optimism , but why would the same form over the last 10 games "definitely " get us into the playoffs. Out of the top 10 Millwall are the only team to have got less points over the last 10 games, and that was only a point less.

My thoughts?

He listened to Adam and well done for that.

He is still showing a tendency to defend rather than push on (Swindon).

Ranger and Wordsworth need to stay fit and we need to continue with two up front and stay on the front foot.

Oh.......and deal with the next blip without mass changes and callings out.

At least I agree with you about Adam though.............and if Hines is the same player he was before the injury he will be an enormous upgrade on McGlashan.

Back