• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Season Cards - credit card sales now open on OS

Sure it's already been mentioned but I think last season the credit card cos withheld funds as they thought we might go bust and drip fed the funds rather than pass all the funds to the club.
Risky approach to not allow credit cards as I reckon sales will fall noticeably because of it, but understand the reasoning. Wouldn't be surprised if post early bird will allow credit cards.

What I don't understand is why fans can't pay by debit card - as I understand it the money goes out of one account into another ?

What I don't understand is why fans can't pay by debit card - as I understand it the money goes out of one account into another ?
This article suggests that there is a charge to the Merchant (SUFC in this case) if a debit card is used.

Using payment cards for your business​

The costs of accepting card payments​

Guide
You should shop around and check the costs of accepting card payments. Banks apply different charges depending on a wide range of factors - including the expected overall value of your card transactions and the bank's assessment of your exposure to card fraud.
Remember that you are likely to be charged differently for credit card and debit card transactions. Credit card and charge card processing fees can range from less than 2 per cent to as much as 6 per cent of the value of each transaction. Debit cards are more likely to charge a flat rate of so many pence per transaction and the level may be determined by the number and average value of these transactions.
In addition to transaction charges, other costs you may face include the following:
  • A monthly fee if you rent the terminal that is used to accept a chip & PIN transaction, swipe cards or key in card numbers from your bank.
  • A service from a payment service provider (PSP) can be used to process transactions on your behalf, and is most likely to be used for internet transactions. PSP charges can be on a per-month or per-transaction basis. See accepting online payments.
  • Banks can ask high-risk businesses for a security bond to cover the costs of unauthorised transactions that are refunded later. Criteria can include the amount of online trading you do, average transaction values and the length of time it takes to fulfil an order.

This article suggests that there is a charge to the Merchant (SUFC in this case) if a debit card is used.
  • Banks can ask high-risk businesses for a security bond to cover the costs of unauthorised transactions that are refunded later. Criteria can include the amount of online trading you do, average transaction values and the length of time it takes to fulfil an order.
This is probably the most significant bit.

I think credit & debit cards are now accepted, it was only during the early bird window that they wanted cash or bank transfer... at least that's how I read it at the time.

For what it's worth, I paid by bank transfer last week and got my email confirmation within the hour. The staff were really polite when I went in to the ticket office to check the payment details, they gave me a hand-written receipt confirming the process of bank transfer (not for the actual receipt of the cash) as they initially thought I wouldn't get my automated email until after the Bank Holiday. As it happened I got it by the time I had driven home.

Paying this way is a bit of a gamble for the consumer, but it's a gamble I'm prepared to take if it helps the club, and the staff like of the young lads in the ticket office doing what they could to make the process that much smoother. The club isn't just the football squad, it's the whole infrastructure.

I think credit & debit cards are now accepted, it was only during the early bird window that they wanted cash or bank transfer... at least that's how I read it at the time.

For what it's worth, I paid by bank transfer last week and got my email confirmation within the hour. The staff were really polite when I went in to the ticket office to check the payment details, they gave me a hand-written receipt confirming the process of bank transfer (not for the actual receipt of the cash) as they initially thought I wouldn't get my automated email until after the Bank Holiday. As it happened I got it by the time I had driven home.

Paying this way is a bit of a gamble for the consumer, but it's a gamble I'm prepared to take if it helps the club, and the staff like of the young lads in the ticket office doing what they could to make the process that much smoother. The club isn't just the football squad, it's the whole infrastructure.
I paid for mine on Saturday via bank transfer. Not received any confirmation yet. Checked both email and Southend Account. Have emailed the ticket office too. Thus far, nothing. I'm sure it will be ok.

It's a bit hit and miss with the ticket office. I paid cash for a Season Card over two weeks ago and was given a hand written paper receipt. Was told that it would be confirmed by email, still waiting.

It's a bit hit and miss with the ticket office. I paid cash for a Season Card over two weeks ago and was given a hand written paper receipt. Was told that it would be confirmed by email, still waiting.
Same as me, although I can see my Season Card account has been updated correctly

Odd isn't it? I was expecting to have a long wait, especially as it was over the BH weekend, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I got the email when I did. I wonder if it differs depending upon which bank you're with..? I'm with Santander. Just a thought.

I may have this wrong but I seem to remember some years ago a discussion about the club "Selling" it's future Season Ticket sales to a corporate investor/financer.

Something along the lines of all credit/debit card payments for Season Tickets would be paid/transferred into a special holding account, and the funds would then be drip feed to the club over the following season.

Perhaps the club has a legal agreement with an entity (HRMC/PFA) that it owns money to, to pay them all Season Ticket sales by credit/debit card payments.

Paying by cash/bank transfer means the club get the money straight away and not having to wait or not receiving it as it is used to repay debt.

Still won't be renewing until I can pay by credit card. I'm skint as had loads to pay out for.

In this day and age its rediculous for the club to do it this way.

I would imagine that plenty are also waiting for the same option and won't be able to renew until they decide that taking a credit card is OK. Probably after the right to an early renewal price is removed.

This could definitely have an effect on the amount of renewals.

We should be looking at 3-4k card holders next season.

Lets think about it this.way. The club is skint as we all know and it could have been done this way to save a bit of cash. 1500 st holders at lets say £275 per ticket mrans the club receives £412k straight into its account. Now lets say all of those people paid by credit card and the clubs aquirer charged 3% per transaction, it would have to pay out around £12000 in fees and then possibly be drip fed the monies monthly meaning that to survive the summer it would have over May, June and July £100k in receipts. That is £312k the club would have to find to see it through the summer. It makes sense to me to ask for cash or bank transfer and once theyve accumulated enough to see them through to September they can then 'afford' to accept card payments.

Lets think about it this.way. The club is skint as we all know and it could have been done this way to save a bit of cash. 1500 st holders at lets say £275 per ticket mrans the club receives £412k straight into its account. Now lets say all of those people paid by credit card and the clubs aquirer charged 3% per transaction, it would have to pay out around £12000 in fees and then possibly be drip fed the monies monthly meaning that to survive the summer it would have over May, June and July £100k in receipts. That is £312k the club would have to find to see it through the summer. It makes sense to me to ask for cash or bank transfer and once theyve accumulated enough to see them through to September they can then 'afford' to accept card payments.
The whole issue is based on trust. The club have a very poor historical record of managing their finances.

We have a chairman that has a record of not paying his taxes and has HRMC constantly chasing payment and threatening to wind the club up.

The club then expects supporters to waiver protection a credit card purchase gives them in case of club being wound up.

Surely a win/win for club and supporters is to allow credit card season ticket renewals. Supporters get protection and club gets cash in now.

There is a lot of assumption there.

Also the club being drip fed money might actually be better than getting the money all in one hit. After all. Our track record for maintaining funds is very poor indeed.

Also, we must be one of the only clubs doing this.

The club has offered no explanation as to why this year is different to any past seasons. We may no why, but at least explain. If you have a couple of adults and a couple of kids as a family then spending several hundred in the current climate may just not be possible. Credit cards allow the possibility to spread the cost.

Be interesting if the issue of when credit/debit cards will be allowed for season cards was discussed at the recent liaison meeting, might find out one day when the minutes of that meeting are allowed out to the fans. If it was brought up, it’s a shame the meeting wasn’t available for us plebs to view ??
It wasn't discussed at the Trust Liaison meeting, I don't know if it was discussed at the Supporters Group Meeting.

We have been waiting for our Minutes to be approved and got the final amendments yesterday which I have made now and our Minutes will be published in the next few days.

How many did we sell last year and what numbers do you think we can get to by the start of next season

I've not looked into it, but is the interest card on a cc cash withdrawal to prohibitive to draw out the S/C money and then repay in instalments? Or even a low cost money transfer from Card to Bank Account, or finally a short term loan from c/c to bank account.

Back