• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

23rd November 1963

At 5.15PM on 23rd November, 1963, the very first episode of Doctor Who was broadcast on BBC TV. I was 12 at the time and watched that first episode and all the others in glorious black and white, and then onto the colour TV versions. Whilst still young, not senior school age, I wouldn't miss it. Now. I've totally lost interest as, for me, it was a child of it's time.

Where were any of you, watching or not?
I probably started watching a couple of years later but always remember it. Dixon of Dock Green was on Saturday evenings - there was an episode where a lady fell down a lift shaft, I found it so frightening and it is something I have never forgotten.

Is that what they are doing with davros? Why can't they leave it alone and just generate new enemies!
Yep. Apparently RTD says linking disabled with evil is outdated. It wasn't outdated when he used the original Davros a few years ago
What about the face of Bo, literally just a bit of skin but the face of good and that's acceptable

Yep. Apparently RTD says linking disabled with evil is outdated. It wasn't outdated when he used the original Davros a few years ago
What about the face of Bo, literally just a bit of skin but the face of good and that's acceptable
I recall Saturday morning picture shows in the 50s with serials like Batman & Robin etc where the arch villain was usually an old man in a wheelchair. Disability = evil seems a standard trope from way back, eg Shakespeare's Richard III

Wasn't the skin Cassandra from the End of the World episode? voiced by Zoe Wannamaker?
Face of Bo was just a big head in a jar, which then became John Barrowman's Captain Jack right?

Anyway, I am really hoping for some gender neutral Cybermen, or Cyberthem I assume they would be called?

Hopefully pink daleks with legs too.

Wasn't the skin Cassandra from the End of the World episode? voiced by Zoe Wannamaker?
Face of Bo was just a big head in a jar, which then became John Barrowman's Captain Jack right?

Anyway, I am really hoping for some gender neutral Cybermen, or Cyberthem I assume they would be called?

Hopefully pink daleks with legs too.
Yeah my bad. So much goes on in Dr Who, hard to remember what's what.

With RTD, who knows what you are going to get 😂

It was the day after JFK was assassinated so welcome escapism from the horrors of the previous day. Remember watching it and thinking it was a bit naff compared to previous BBC sci-fi things like Quatermass.
Remember JFK's assisination.Headmaster at Highfield told me about it on our way to prep.So must have been a Friday night.

Can confirm Cricko didn't see the first episode of Doctor Who (unless he saw it at home) as he didn't turn up at Highfield until some years later.

Remember JFK's assisination.Headmaster at Highfield told me about it on our way to prep.So must have been a Friday night.

Can confirm Cricko didn't see the first episode of Doctor Who (unless he saw it at home) as he didn't turn up at Highfield until some years later.
Seem to remember it was announced round about 7pm but good old BBC kept to its schedule - Harry Worth, Dr Finlay's Casebook etc. Next day, Saturday first Dr Who but later that evening a memorable edition of That was the Week that Was paying tribute to JFK

Back