• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

3rd Test

England win toss and bat with an unchanged team.

Amazingly Glenn McGrath declared fit and replaces Kaprowicz, Brett Lee also in the side.

Phew... Gilchrist has just dropped Trescothick off Glenn McGrath. Can't believe he's fit and bowling! Swine!

wow.gif

17/0

Oh dear, CMJ and Vic Marks are giving Gilchrist a fearful time - saying that if that had been Geraint Jones, "they would be calling him to be sent to Kent and beyond..." They called it a "95 times out of 100" catch, sounds like a bad drop in front of first slip.

C'mon Banger, make 'em suffer. Let's have a ton!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 11 2005,11:15)]26/1... having softened him up, Lee has now bowled Strauss.

sad.gif

Odds on Vaughan making double figures...?  I'm not optimistic.

down.gif

Matt
Oh yea of little faith.

40-1 Vaughan 12n.o.

Joking aside it would be great if one or both could go on to make a big hundred.

I am still amazed that McGrath has made this test. Full credit to the Aussies medicos - Bast***s.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Aug. 11 2005,11:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 11 2005,11:15)]Odds on Vaughan making double figures...?  I'm not optimistic.

down.gif

Matt
Oh ye of little faith.
Indeed... Vaughan's on 41 off 49 at lunch - blimey! Fair play to him, that's a captain's knock, that is! Banger's on 35 not out, so he's already made Gilchrist pay for that dropped catch to the tune of 22 runs. Hope he lumps on a few more!

93/1 off 25 ov. at lunch - still almost 4 an over. Not bad. However, on TMS Goochie has been reminding listeners of the Essex v. Lancs run-fest recently... may still happen here.

oops.gif

Matt

106-1 - good progress and at nearly 4 an over. I do hope Gilchrist is made to pay for that drop big style.

I slated England last time for a poor over rate and 12.5 an hour is utterly abysmal. I cannot understand why international teams cannot bowl at least 15 an hour.

Fortunately this has been a quick scoring series so far so the punter is not penalised too much.

162/1 - Vaughan has 75, Banger has 63 - going for more than 4 an over. But TMS say that it's as flat as a car-park.

England tactic has to be to lump on heavy in the first innings, because Warne will come into play in the second innings. As for our bowling, it has to be Hoggy keeping it tight, Harmy banging it in hard and around the body... and then Freddy & Jones getting plenty of reverse swing.

Just been told by Jim Maxwell that Trescothick is an anagram of "cricket shot". Marvellous!

cool.gif

Banger's gone, Warne has his 600th. Congrats to Shane... he may be a wally and an Ocker, but that's one heck of an achievement.

Gilchrist finally got his man, but the mistake cost him 50 runs - good effort from Banger.

smile.gif

C'mon Ian Bell!

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 11 2005,11:15)]Odds on Vaughan making double figures...?  I'm not optimistic.

down.gif

Matt
I wish I'd taken that bet!

209-2
Vaughan 102!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nice to see another good batting performance by England - touch wood!
Hopefully we can build on this lead and not collapse as is usually par for the course

333-4 just now. If the tail wags as well as it has done in the past couple of tests then we should be on for a decent score...

In the end we made 341-5, a pity as we lost 3 wickets for 50 runs.
Should be an intruiging day tomorrow, an early wicket could see us crumble but if we can see out the opening hour or so we might make the 500 canveyshrimper mentioned...

On balance a good day for England, with Aussies spilling crucial chances and putting in the odd no ball. I will not shout it but is the tide turning to Englands favour after 18 years of Ashes hurt?

Well, Bell has gone early... 367/6. This is probably the key passage of play for the day. If they can get Freddy out cheaply, then the Baggy Greens will be looking to clean us up for 400.

If they can't get Freddy, then it depends how the other end holds up. If GO Jones can stick around, there's no reason why Freddy can't pace himself and take us up towards the 500-550 mark.

If Jones and Giles go, then Freddy will have to go after the bowlers, which will make it quickfire... but which will then make it less likely for us to reach much more than 450.

This is Test cricket at its finest, where anything is possible... bring it on!

smile.gif

Back