• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

4-4-2/Diamond... and the one that got away?

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
As I've already stated on here, I'm a complete dullard on the technical sde of the game. As I understood it, we lined up 4-4-2 yesterday.......yet on Longpiers report he states that our diamond formation was instrumental in snuffing out the threat from Peterborough, by denying them space...........
..........confused????
Not worth starting new thread and can't be bothered to go back but......
.............does anyone know what happened to the young League One centre back we were due to sign on Friday??

Looked like a straight 4-4-2 from start to finish yesterday to me.

I don't want to pick too many faults over a game we won against strong opposition, but again we struggled to get good value from our wingers. I still feel that there's probably another system that would work better for us, but don't ask me exactly what it is or how we might implement it while the season is in progress.

I don't want to pick too many faults over a game we won against strong opposition, but again we struggled to get good value from our wingers. I still feel that there's probably another system that would work better for us, but don't ask me exactly what it is or how we might implement it while the season is in progress.

Same here, 4-4-2 with the wingers swapping flanks on occasion.

I don't think they actually played as wingers as they were wide at the half way line but were never available for the ball in the opposition corner.
So it was the Diamond System with Two strikers.

got this off another website.

What is the diamond formation
It's effectively a 4-4-2, but with midfielders having specific roles within their usual jobs.
One of the two central midfielders will be expected to get forward as often as possible and support the strikers. While the other midfielder will play more deeply, providing extra protection to the defence.

So there you go.
Hey 3 points for the first game of a season for the first time in what seems ages. Life is sweet. PS where's TTK

Diamond for me, you could see it pretty easily from where I sat and I think it worked really well.

We also made a slight twist to the diamond with Moussa and Bailey in the centre with either one of them going forward and the other player then holding the midfield.

Very impressive and Walker seemed to like it aswell.

100% 4-4-2 for me. If it was diamond, you wouldn't have seen either Bailey or Moussa anywhere near their box when we attacked but they were alternatively on the edge. All they were doing was leaving one back to cover the other when one would push on.

My understanding of diamond has always had the wingers tucking in slightly more to make the attacking midfielder the central point of the formation (e.g. Kaka with Milan). Without them tucking in you leave massive gaps.

Looked a simple 4-4-2 to me aswell, Walker looked better on the right and was able to keep up with the pace of Boyd, Not that I'm saying Scannell couldn't but he tired a bit.

Looked like a basic 4-4-2 to me.

A lot was made preseason that the Diamond was going to be our new system, but from what Brush was saying a few weeks ago I was more under the impression that we were trying it out so we could be more dynamic to use it when needed.

OK.......if it was a sort of diamond within the 4-4-2 system it would have seemed to have stifled a pretty,attack minded, Posh side. Replacing Scannel with Betsy sounded a like for like substitution but in fact, it was after he came on that we started to sound far more penetrating and seemed to pose a greater threat........
indeed leading to the goal. So did our formation change to a slightly more attacking emphasis when Betsy entered the stage?

Maybe total up front football ? Give the 2 front men + 2 wide men licence to do what comes naturally when we are in offensive positions and roam/cover for each other - give them licence to think on the hoof - but retain/keep the midfield and defensive shape.

Right winger becomes a 2/3rd central box man when we attack down the left flank and vice versa.

Commands a lot of running power though, but can be done for short spells, Schweinsteiger esk

Maybe total up front football ? Give the 2 front men + 2 wide men licence to do what comes naturally when we are in offensive positions and roam/cover for each other - give them licence to think on the hoof - but retain/keep the midfield and defensive shape.

Right winger becomes a 2/3rd central box man when we attack down the left flank and vice versa.

Commands a lot of running power though, but can be done for short spells, Schweinsteiger esk

We did that once or twice when Walker crossed from the right and Scannell was the nearest attacker. I'd guess that as a natural winger, Scannell will that, but Walker has to add that to his game when playing out wide.

We did that once or twice when Walker crossed from the right and Scannell was the nearest attacker. I'd guess that as a natural winger, Scannell will that, but Walker has to add that to his game when playing out wide.

I don't for a moment suggest we are anywhere near the calibre of German internationals but the tactical principals are the same at any level, if the players have the running power in them.

Walker will learn he is still young and has a lot of potential developement ahead of him.

Back