• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

40 Years Ago Today

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
Forty years ago today a young Hawkwell Blue saw his first ever Blues' game. A 4-0 win over Swansea Town with Gary Moore scoring a hat-trick! More of the same today!!!!

Blimey, 40 years is two life sentences!!:stunned:

UTB!

HB

Forty years ago today a young Hawkwell Blue saw his first ever Blues' game. A 4-0 win over Swansea Town with Gary Moore scoring a hat-trick! More of the same today!!!!

UTB!

HB

And you've loved every minute of it i bet.
up the blues.

UTB!

HB

1968/69 was a great season we scored goals for fun, apart from the Swansea away game, we won 6-1 at Bournemouth, 9-0 & 10-1 wins over Kings Lynn and Brentwood and a 2-0 win at Swindon who beat Arsenal in the League Cup Final that season. Great memories.

1968/69 was a great season we scored goals for fun, apart from the Swansea away game, we won 6-1 at Bournemouth, 9-0 & 10-1 wins over Kings Lynn and Brentwood and a 2-0 win at Swindon who beat Arsenal in the League Cup Final that season. Great memories.

My old man says that 6-1 at Bournemouth is the best he has ever seen Southend play!

My old man says that 6-1 at Bournemouth is the best he has ever seen Southend play!

I agree with him it was just one of those nights when everything went in, we were really unlucky to lose at Wolves to a last minute goal in the next round. Just looked at the SUFC database and the goal scorers that night were Eddie Clayton (2), John McKinven, John "Killer" Kurila, Phil Chisnall & Billy Best.

Happy days. :)

Was that the year we also had Chico Hamilton, Sammy Mcmillan etc. I remember going up to watch us against the scum of Col Ewe and in the pub before the game a scum fan was very much in my awe as we had a team of big names - I thought including Clayton, Best, Moore, Hamilton, Chisnall, Mcmillan but beyond that my memory fails. Was great to have a scum fan totally jealous of us though!!

UTB!

HB

That was bad luck; you just missed virtually all of probably the best season in living memory.

Happy happy days,
How I loved Gary Moore and his ability to chin anybody who got on his nerves!
Not for him to stand back and take a caning from some Centre Half who fancied a bit of the back of his legs - no sir - he would let him have it back with interest -
Oh I miss those days of proper competitors - whem the game was sub-standard you could always watch the sub-plots taking shape on the margins

And if anyone had said to me then that i'd still be watching them 40 years on, i'd have said they were mad!. Whose the loony?.

Happy happy days,
How I loved Gary Moore and his ability to chin anybody who got on his nerves!
Not for him to stand back and take a caning from some Centre Half who fancied a bit of the back of his legs - no sir - he would let him have it back with interest -
Oh I miss those days of proper competitors - whem the game was sub-standard you could always watch the sub-plots taking shape on the margins

ability with his head pardon the pun put the nutt on!!! or was it in!!!cant remember.

Back