• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(9+3)

• Total voters
288.................beat the poll.

Watch out it's....

lido.jpg

Woudnt that be (48/2)(9+3) ?
Its the same equation, brackets must always be expanded first, so the equation would be 48÷ 2 x 12
Using BODMAS you have to divide before you multiply (I think) so you get 24 x 12
Horray for being a maths geek (Waits to inevitably be proved wrong)

Woudnt that be (48/2)(9+3) ?

I thought that at first, but then

48÷2(9+3) is the same as 48÷2x(9+3)

brackets are, if I recall, calculated first, so it's

48÷2x12

÷ and x are both calculated at the same time, so it's anything divided below the line, and multiplied above it, giving

(48)(12)
-----------
(2)

so I'd say it's 288. Because in the original equation the ÷ is added, but the x is omitted, it seems that its a combination of notational styles, and this makes it easy to think the 2(9+3) should all be calculated first.

I've not done maths in a long while though, so could easily be wrong

I'm glad it's causing debate, this question has been posted on other forum's (including maths ones!) and people still can't agree. The bottom line is that it's a badly written equation.

I've just finished a maths degree and the 3 years at uni does not help me with this at all. What a waste of money!

My first instinct says the answer is 2.

I read the equation as 48 / (2x(9+3)) = 48 / 24 = 2

However, according to Wolfram Alpha, the maths bible, the answer is 288 (linky)

its badly written...
48÷2(9+3)
brackets are done first, so it becomes 48/(12*2) which equals 48/24 which is 2

if it was written (48/2)(9+3) then it would be 288

I've just finished a maths degree and the 3 years at uni does not help me with this at all. What a waste of money!

dont trust that silly site :P we have managed to break it about 4 times at uni this year

3 year maths degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how utterly boring!!

how anybody get excited by Maths is beyond me!

I'm glad it's causing debate, this question has been posted on other forum's (including maths ones!) and people still can't agree.

I just hope there weren't too many stabbings.

Maybe it is time for the Mods to close this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
3 year maths degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how utterly boring!!

how anybody get excited by Maths is beyond me!

Was ridiculously boring and not at all exciting. I did it cos I was good at it and it had good prospects. Social side more than made up for the boredom of lectures though!

Back