• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

I remember the Gillingham match.
One desperate fan cried out deep into the second half: 'C'mon! Just a single goal and we'll bring this pile of rust down!'
I think we were all in the old Rainham End Stand, and because it was drizzling we were all wedged towards the back under that rust.
Made the journey not from SE Essex, but from Twickenham where I was at uni.

Attachments

• Gillingham-Priestfield-home-standing-1024x550.jpg
    Gillingham-Priestfield-home-standing-1024x550.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 16
I've told my story of the Gillingham game a couple of times on here. So much happened the whole day, but not much happened on the pitch. It was the most boring 0-0 ever, with the ball getting stuck in the mud quite a bit, making it difficult for the players. It never seemed to stop raining. We were all drenched by the time the big gate got smashed down and everyone ran across the pitch to take their Rainham End. The groundsman with his pitchfork tried to stab me, the legend CC, and a few others as we past him on the centre circle. The Hells Angels inside and outside that house. The Gillingham mob being very angry and tried to take their end back all game, but kept getting beaten back or arrested. I was a young lad, and it was my first away game. I found it a bit scary at times, but exciting at the same time to be honest.

I felt sorry for those Hells Angels that were caught before the game.IIRC they tried to get into someones house for help but were caught at the front door.Again,IIRC,before the game when the gates were smashed in and we run across the pitch,a Gills fan was caught in the opposite end of the Rainham Rd End at the top and some Blues fan stuck one of those"netted" rubbish bins over him (his head)..he did not move till we all were on the pitch.
Sadly i think that was the day (it was an early kick off at Gillingham) that England got beat by West Germany at Wembley 1-3 i got of the a Leigh Comm coach at the the Elms and walked down to my nans house in Elm Rd and watched that game there
Just a footnote again,today..29.04....1976..after being at Wrexham two days before(27.4) i was at Sheff Wed and they put us down.
Also the same date ...1978...we were up but took loads of fans to Newport.Co...and ive still got Parkers shirt hanging on my wall

50 years ago today Southend United 'invaded' Gillingham . I know there have been bigger away games 'Liverpool , Chelsea , Sheff Wed , Derby 'twice and Everton . But to those Southend United Supporters of a certain age Gillingham will always be very special . I would like to mention the Leigh Comm Boys who went and are no longer with us Bob Jennings , Ian Southgate , Alan Vincent , Tony 'Weasle Livermore , Dave Pearman , Fat Harry Roberts , John Welham , John Wheatley Trevor 'Ollie' Oliver , Mark 'Crust' Smith , Rick Farrell , Dick Hughes , Paul Osborne and Doug Kerry . This flag is a relic from that day that was on one of the Leigh Com coaches that went.
I knew a lot of those lads some by just saying "hallo"...other much better.Its life,but so,so sad ,so many good lads (just from Leigh Comm) have left us...RIP North Bankers/Pak

Tuesday 11th April 1972 - Northampton Town 1 Southend United 1

Still the games came thick and fast with a Tuesday evening rearranged game at the County Ground Northampton. Northampton, like Sheffield United shared their ground with the County Cricket Club. The County Ground was effectively three sided - more like 2 1/2 sided with a small terrace behind one goal a temporary moveable terrace on the cricket out field.

At the end of January they were comfortably in the top half of the table just 3 points behind us. However, they had already sold top scorer Dixie NcNeill to Lincoln and then sold Lew Chatterley to Grimsby and it all went downhill, as it does when your best players leave, and were now 19 points behind us.

In their side they had Neil Rioch, brother of more famous Bruce and Trevor Gould, brother of more famous Bobby, together with a 22 year old centre half who would a year later join us - Neil Townsend. They also has 32 year old Frank Large in his third spell with them at Centre Forward. and 21 year old Phil Neal, later to play for Liverpool and England.

Despite their poor record they still had some decent players.

We were unchanged from Friday with Gary Moore still out injured. Billy Best returning to Northampton got our goal with Gould scoring for them. Another point on the road took us to 54 with 6 games to go. A small crowd of 3,604 were there.

Northampton ended up 4th from bottom, applying for re-election having won just 2 of their last 20 games.
I went on the coach to this one, just a rope along one side of the pitch where the cricket pitch was, the ball would disappear into the gloom at times! Billy Best scoring for the vital point

Always have strong memories of this one, only just 16, white coats already mentioned, but I wondered if it was some of those guys above who rescued me from a good beating! In the home end, went for a quick toilet break when some Gillingham fans followed me in, I was a dead man, but in came some Leigh Com lads, I was told to get out, & what happened after that I can only imagine, but I don't think it ended well for the Gills boys!!
Our schoolkids gang from Hockley caught a coach, organised by the Hockley lads?? It dropped us outside the ground, and the "big lads" entered the ground as a mob of Gills pounced on us outside and we got a bit of a pasting. I managed to jump the turnstile to get in and join the Southend fans

N.P...a quick question, one of the many Hockley lads i knew was big Les Baker..do you know him?,im sure you do. If so how is he? Have not seen him since early 80s.A great lad,someone you would not want to argue with...had a bad accident and i was told by him or another Hockley lad that if he had not been so big and strong he would not have survived.Top,top lad

Last game of the Season, Wednesday 3rd May 1972, Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Grimsby had beaten Exeter 3-0 at home the previous evening in front of a crowd of 22,484 to clinch the title. So we went into this last game needing 1 point to overtake Brentford to take the runners up position. 15,854 the second highest crowd of the season came to Roots Hall to celebrate promotion.

Terry Johnson came back into the side to replace Peter Taylor who had started at Gillingham the previous Saturday. Gillingham in between the games had been to Darlington on Monday evening where they drew 0-0.

Goals from Terry Johnson and a first goal for the club from Dave Elliott gave us a 2-1 lead at half time. Gillingham equalised in the second half and we came away with the point that took us into 2nd position, 3 points behind Grimsby.

A photo from the Gillingham programme of a well populated South Bank - anyone recoginse anybody?

SB CROWD1.jpg

Our record for the season:

At Home: W 18, D 2, L 3, GF 56, GA 26, Points 38
Away: W 6, D 10, L 7, GF 25, GA 29, Points 22

Total W 24, D 12, L10, GF 81, GA 55, Points 60.

10 Defeats was the fewest in the Division- sadly 2 were by Col Utd.

Brain Albeson, Alex Smith and Ray Ternent played in all 50 League and cup games
Billy Best missed just 1, Joe Jacques 3, Dave Elliott 4, Gary Moore 5 and Terry Johnson and Bill Garner 6. So, 9 players played in 44 or more games that season with Roberts and Bellotti sharing the goalkeeping and Bernie Lewis and Dennis Booth basically covering the 11th position. Peter Woods, Spud Taylor, Dave Barnett Keith Lindsey, George Duck and Peter Hunt making a handful of appearances

Goal scorers: Bill Garner 25+1, Billy Best 19+1, Terry Johnson 12+1, Gary Moore 9, Bernie Lewis 5, Spud Taylor 3 Brian Albeson 2 and 1 each for Dave Elliott, Keith Lindsey and Ray Ternent with 3 OGs

Keith Lindsey got injured after the 5th game of the season and didn't get back into the side. With Ray Ternent switching to full back the back four of Ternent, Albeson, Jacques and Smith played together in 41 of the following 43 League and Cup games.

Joe Jacques only played 4 more times for us at the start of 72/73. Half way through 73/74 only Dave Elliott and Terry Johnson remained first team regulars

The average Home Attendance was 10,461 behind Grimsby 11,799 and Brentford 11,738.
A high of 17,059 and a low of 5,222.

George Duck, Bernie Lewis ,John Piekalnietis and John Roberts were given free transfers.

We all went away for the summer looking forward to Third Division football

Last edited:
Wednesday May 03, 1972 - Division 4
Southend Utd (2) 2 (Johnson 11', Elliott 14')
Gillingham (1) 2 (Wilks 21', Woolcott 85')
Venue: Roots Hall KO: 7.30
Attendance: 15,854

Southend Utd: J Roberts, R Ternent, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, D Booth. Sub: P Taylor.
Gillingham: P Shearing, T Parmenter, D Peach, D Housden, K Hill, D Quirke, D Tydeman, G Knight, A Wilks, R Woolcott, M Bickle (T Watson).

Match Report
Unprecedented scenes marked the end of the last League game of the season at Hall as thousands of fans crowded in front of the stands eager to acclaim the players who had taken United out of Fourth Division. They even forgot their disappointment that Blues did not finish with a good win, as the one point they gave them the runners-up spot.

Chairman Bill Rubin, Manager Arthur Rowley and skipper Joe Jacques, all said a few words and had high praise for the loyalty of the fans who had supported them. The gate of 15,854 was, in itself, sufficient testimony to their loyalty, writes Alf Smirk.

The champagne celebrations in the board-room after the game was a fine gesture by the directors and all the in-people were present, but it was the fans from the terraces who deserved all the praise which was lavished on them.

They certainly did their best to cheer United on to victory, and after taking a two-goal lead through Terry Johnson and Dave Elliott, it looked as though their hopes would be realised.

Johnson's piledriver from 25 yards almost broke the net as it slid in off the underside of the crossbar after only 11 minutes and Elliott sneaked through on the right to slot home the second three minutes later.

But an Alan Wilks shot from 20 yards reduced the Gills' arrears after 21 minutes and equaliser came just five minutes from the end when Roy Woolcott found a way between two defenders to screw the ball home from short range.

But the result did not really matter. Promotion already assured it was the overall performance over the last hectic run-in which the fans wanted to celebrate. It was a run-in of 18 games which produced 27 points and the only defeat during this period was the 2-1 defeat at Roots Hall against Cambridge United when goalkeeper Derek Bellotti was injured.

As United's first, and only, major success in their 45 years of League history, the celebrations were justified. But a football club is only as good and successful as its next match. Which is why all efforts must be made to make certain of not only survival but also success in the Third Division next season.

Manager Rowley is positive he has the nucleus of a successful side for next season's attack on the Third Division promotion race. But even he must know that however well his players have fought this season to bring success, there are one or two positions which need to be strengthened for next season.

He can say what he likes in his programme notes criticising the Press, but people, fans and Press alike are fully entitled to say what they think and not only what they see.

However, not to end the season on a harsh note, I am sure all United fans will join with me in congratulating all the players for their magnificent efforts and with them, the club directors and management included, all the best of luck for a happy and successful season in the Third Division. May we all celebrating just as much a year from now.

Final Table
1651593993498.png
1651594442972.png
1651594567846.png

1651594604923.png

Last game of the Season, Wednesday 3rd May 1972, Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Grimsby had beaten Exeter 3-0 at home the previous evening in front of a crowd of 22,484 to clinch the title. So we went into this last game needing 1 point to overtake Brentford to take the runners up position. 15,854 the second highest crowd of the season came to Roots Hall to celebrate promotion.

Terry Johnson came back into the side to replace Peter Taylor who had started at Gillingham the previous Saturday. Gillingham in between the games had been to Darlington on Monday evening where they drew 0-0.

Goals from Terry Johnson and a first goal for the club from Dave Elliott gave us a 2-1 lead at half time. Gillingham equalised in the second half and we came away with the point that took us into 2nd position, 3 points behind Grimsby.

A photo from the Gillingham programme of a well populated South Bank - anyone recoginse anybody?

View attachment 20375

Our record for the season:

At Home: W 18, D 2, L 3, GF 56, GA 26, Points 38
Away: W 6, D 10, L 7, GF 25, GA 29, Points 22

Total W 24, D 12, L10, GF 71, GA 55, Points 60.

10 Defeats was the fewest in the Division- sadly 2 were by Col Utd.

Brain Albeson, Alex Smith and Ray Ternent played in all 50 League and cup games
Billy Best missed just 1, Joe Jacques 3, Dave Elliott 4, Gary Moore 5 and Terry Johnson and Bill Garner 6. So, 9 players played in 44 or more games that season with Roberts and Bellotti sharing the goalkeeping and Bernie Lewis and Dennis Booth basically covering the 11th position. Peter Woods, Spud Taylor, Dave Barnett Keith Lindsey, George Duck and Peter Hunt making a handful of appearances

Goal scorers: Bill Garner 25+1, Billy Best 19+1, Terry Johnson 12+1, Gary Moore 9, Bernie Lewis 5, Spud Taylor 3 Brian Albeson 2 and 1 each for Dave Elliott, Keith Lindsey and Ray Ternent with 3 OGs

Keith Lindsey got injured after the 5th game of the season and didn't get back into the side. With Ray Ternent switching to full back the back four of Ternent, Albeson, Jacques and Smith played together in 41 of the following 43 League and Cup games.

Joe Jacques only played 4 more times for us at the start of 72/73. Half way through 73/74 only Dave Elliott and Terry Johnson remained first team regulars

The average Home Attendance was 10,461 behind Grimsby 11,799 and Brentford 11,738.
A high of 17,059 and a low of 5,222.

George Duck, Bernie Lewis ,John Piekalnietis and John Roberts were given free transfers.

We all went away for the summer looking forward to Third Division football
That picture of the South Bank was taken v Lincoln City Boxing Day .

Wednesday May 03, 1972 - Division 4
Southend Utd (2) 2 (Johnson 11', Elliott 14')
Gillingham (1) 2 (Wilks 21', Woolcott 85')
Venue: Roots Hall KO: 7.30
Attendance: 15,854

Southend Utd: J Roberts, R Ternent, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, D Booth. Sub: P Taylor.
Gillingham: P Shearing, T Parmenter, D Peach, D Housden, K Hill, D Quirke, D Tydeman, G Knight, A Wilks, R Woolcott, M Bickle (T Watson).

Match Report
Unprecedented scenes marked the end of the last League game of the season at Hall as thousands of fans crowded in front of the stands eager to acclaim the players who had taken United out of Fourth Division. They even forgot their disappointment that Blues did not finish with a good win, as the one point they gave them the runners-up spot.

Chairman Bill Rubin, Manager Arthur Rowley and skipper Joe Jacques, all said a few words and had high praise for the loyalty of the fans who had supported them. The gate of 15,854 was, in itself, sufficient testimony to their loyalty, writes Alf Smirk.

The champagne celebrations in the board-room after the game was a fine gesture by the directors and all the in-people were present, but it was the fans from the terraces who deserved all the praise which was lavished on them.

They certainly did their best to cheer United on to victory, and after taking a two-goal lead through Terry Johnson and Dave Elliott, it looked as though their hopes would be realised.

Johnson's piledriver from 25 yards almost broke the net as it slid in off the underside of the crossbar after only 11 minutes and Elliott sneaked through on the right to slot home the second three minutes later.

But an Alan Wilks shot from 20 yards reduced the Gills' arrears after 21 minutes and equaliser came just five minutes from the end when Roy Woolcott found a way between two defenders to screw the ball home from short range.

But the result did not really matter. Promotion already assured it was the overall performance over the last hectic run-in which the fans wanted to celebrate. It was a run-in of 18 games which produced 27 points and the only defeat during this period was the 2-1 defeat at Roots Hall against Cambridge United when goalkeeper Derek Bellotti was injured.

As United's first, and only, major success in their 45 years of League history, the celebrations were justified. But a football club is only as good and successful as its next match. Which is why all efforts must be made to make certain of not only survival but also success in the Third Division next season.

Manager Rowley is positive he has the nucleus of a successful side for next season's attack on the Third Division promotion race. But even he must know that however well his players have fought this season to bring success, there are one or two positions which need to be strengthened for next season.

He can say what he likes in his programme notes criticising the Press, but people, fans and Press alike are fully entitled to say what they think and not only what they see.

However, not to end the season on a harsh note, I am sure all United fans will join with me in congratulating all the players for their magnificent efforts and with them, the club directors and management included, all the best of luck for a happy and successful season in the Third Division. May we all celebrating just as much a year from now.

Final Table
View attachment 20376
View attachment 20377
View attachment 20378

View attachment 20379
There was a report in the Echo after the Gillingham game from a reporter who went in The North Bank and said how Terrified of The 'Pak' he was .

Back