• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

6-3

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Watching England last night with a 5-3 and a missed penalty it took me back to season 1964-65.

I was 12 years old and this was the first season I saw every home match (plus 4 away), whereas these days kids of that age would only go with an adult in those days I went to every match by myself or with friends of my own age, two matches especially stand out.

24th October 1964 Southend United v Bristol Roves, Southend were mid table Rovers doing quite well, at half time Southend were winning 4-1 and the final result 6-3 with a hattrick from John McKinven. two from Ray Smith and one from Andy Smillie.

Two weeks later 7th November 1964 it was our next home match this time against Colchester, again at half time we were wining 4-1 and the final result 6-3 with four goals from Bobby Gilfillan and another two from John McKinven.

What a coincidence I don't think I have ever seen a 6-3 since.

Watching England last night with a 5-3 and a missed penalty it took me back to season 1964-65.

I was 12 years old and this was the first season I saw every home match (plus 4 away), whereas these days kids of that age would only go with an adult in those days I went to every match by myself or with friends of my own age, two matches especially stand out.

24th October 1964 Southend United v Bristol Roves, Southend were mid table Rovers doing quite well, at half time Southend were winning 4-1 and the final result 6-3 with a hattrick from John McKinven. two from Ray Smith and one from Andy Smillie.

Two weeks later 7th November 1964 it was our next home match this time against Colchester, again at half time we were wining 4-1 and the final result 6-3 with four goals from Bobby Gilfillan and another two from John McKinven.

What a coincidence I don't think I have ever seen a 6-3 since.
Remember those two games vividly, we had players then you would eagerly look forward to seeing. Entertaining football, plenty of goals and a good atmosphere.

Remember being there for both those, fantastic games. I'll throw in a 5-4 away win at QPR when they played at the White City as a memory too. COYBB

Remember being there for both those, fantastic games. I'll throw in a 5-4 away win at QPR when they played at the White City as a memory too. COYBB
I was there at that game, remember a bulky guy called Jim Conway who we signed from Norwich got 2 goals, crazy game!

Not 6-3 but I remember an actual 5-3 more recently, during Alvin's regime IIRC. It was goalless at half-time but a crazy second half saw 8 goals as we beat Bournemouth 5-3. The late Jereon Boere scored a couple and Adrian Clarke scored late on as well. We got relegated that season.

I didn’t realise it was played at the White City
Nostalgic times

I have a feeling Loftus Road wa being used for something else big or maybe under repair. I do recall the pitch snowy and it being freezing.

I was there at that game, remember a bulky guy called Jim Conway who we signed from Norwich got 2 goals, crazy game!
One of the few games Conway scored, he seemed to do all he could to avoid passing to Bobby Gilfillan. Shades of current situation.?

That QPR game was the first time I was allowed to go to an away game and not yet 12 for another two weeks in January 1964.
Attached is a pic taken of the game from my Sportsview Soccer annual - and at Loftus Road, btw, not White City.
Back in the day, annuals featured lower league soccer. In the same book is a feature on Carlisle! Talking of Bristol Rovers, two weeks after this win over QPR, Blues lost 4-3 at home to Rovers, and I think they led 3-2 until the final moments.
BTW, the fine fellow that is Dave Brabbing got me a programme of the QPR game just a year ago. I couldn't get one 54 years earlier!QPR 4-5 S'end.jpg

That QPR game was the first time I was allowed to go to an away game and not yet 12 for another two weeks in January 1964.

QPR was also my first away match but in 1964-65 (august) I think, we lost 2-0 I was old 12 and a half and went on the Eastern National coaches from Pier Hill.

It was an evening match and told my parents I would be home for 10.00 (some hope) as it was we got back after a lengthy pub stop at Midnight and then had to walk from Pier Hill to Southchurch no phones of course.

Would you let you kid do that now

The following Saturday we had Reading away mum can I go.
.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
Attached is a pic taken of the game from my Sportsview Soccer annual - and at Loftus Road, btw, not White City.
Back in the day, annuals featured lower league soccer. In the same book is a feature on Carlisle! Talking of Bristol Rovers, two weeks after this win over QPR, Blues lost 4-3 at home to Rovers, and I think they led 3-2 until the final moments.
BTW, the fine fellow that is Dave Brabbing got me a programme of the QPR game just a year ago. I couldn't get one 54 years earlier!View attachment 8959

No bull****
I was 13 and the evening beforehand I dreamed that we went to QPR and won away 5-4
It was too far fetched and I was too coy to mention it anybody except 1 person ......my Mum
So 5.45 rolls around on the match day and up comes the teleprinter on BBC ..... QPR 4 Southend Utd 5,,!
My old Mum nearly fell off her chair and I was completely gob smacked
My Dad was dead chuffed but he never understood why we both so freaked by it
No bull****
On my kids life it happened
But I’ve never dreamt anything good about the Blues since???
I’m off now

BTW unless I am going barmy, the 5-4 game was at the White City defo.
Barmy it is!
Without looking at the exact figure: 4,000 and a few, the gate remained Rs lowest for around 45 years.
The programme alluded to has Loftus Road as the venue as you can see
And I guess you're thinking of the previous season (62-63) when Rangers played at White City part of the campaign.
Their programme then had an aerial shot of the magnificent stadium on its cover.Prog 1963-64 Southend Home Cover.jpg

Senile it is then! I have always remembered it as the White City venue! It was snowy and cold though wasn't it!

Senile it is then! I have always remembered it as the White City venue! It was snowy and cold though wasn't it!
Nope!
Check the pic of the game above. Cold: yes, but rainy instead of snowy.
And two and a bit sides of Loftus Road were open back in the day!
I remember at one stage, I lost count of the score amongst nine goals!

I'll get my coat then! Perhaps I shouldn't try to remember that far back? I do recall it being a crazy game.

Back