• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Goal times & Goalscorers in the famous cup-tie are as follows:- 1st.minute 1-0(Gary Moore)., 17th.minute 1-1(Reg Stratton)., 20th.minute 2-1(Gary Moore)., 35th.minute 3-1(Sammy McMillan)., 52nd.minute 4-1(Gary Moore)., 63rd.minute 5-1(Gary Moore)., 71st.minute 6-1(Billy Best)., 84th.minute 7-1(Billy Best)., 87th.minute 8-1(Billy Best)., 88th.minute 9-1(Billy Best)., 89th.minute 10-1(Billy Best). 19 goals in two F.A.Cup ties is a record, The only club to have 2 players score hat-tricks in consecutive cup ties, Billy Best quickest five goals in an F.A.Cup tie ever,he also has the fastest hat-trick from the 1st.Round onwards(Andy Locke scored a hat-trick in a 1st.qualifying round in 1995 for Nantwich v Droylesden in 2min. 20sec.) Billy also shares the record of 10 cup goals in one season with Ted McDougall(1971-72) since the war 1945(although Billy took 4 matches against Ted who only took 2).

I recall the Brentwood game and went to the game but I didn't support Southend then, I only went because I thought I was going to witness a cup upset!

All of Billys goals were scored in the North Bank goal .

I was there too!!. Oh happy days.:smile:

Also went to the games at Swindon and Mansfield with my brother in law to be Ray (RIP). Remember we purchased a copy of the commie daily paper, the Daily Worker (?) to read on the train to Swindon to annoy the Express and Telegraph readers. Left on the train in case any of them fancied a quick read. One and only time I bought this paper.:smile:

I was there (aged 12). I went with my Dad, who said something like "Just because they scored 9 in the first round don't expect them to do that again!".

I recall the Brentwood game and went to the game but I didn't support Southend then, I only went because I thought I was going to witness a cup upset!

They did beat Reading in the Cup the following season !

Abiding memories......what do you want at my age........I was there, that's about it! I do however have have better recollection of the other First Round tie we won 10-1, that was against Golders Green back in back in 1934. :winking:
More seriously, I followed the whole Cup run that season. Although the scoreline for the first two rounds were impressive, the best performance was a great and unexpected victory at Swindon, who I think were undefeated (certainly at home....did they have Don Rogers, that seems to ring a bell?) up to then. I persuaded a few friends from college, to join me on the day out, which started with a visit to Stonehenge (Still got photos of the friends next to the stones, somewhere downstairs). Lunch at a great pub, then onto the ground. I've got the programme somewhere as well as a copy of the 'Pinkun' local paper, which turned out a front page report amazingly quickly after the game was finished. That was a GREAT day! The next Round I went to Mansfield where, IIRC we nearly got an equaliser, to force a replay but went down 2-1. Think they got someone like West Ham at home in the Fifth Round.

Wasn't that the year that Swindon beat Arsenal 3-1 in the League Cup final?

Abiding memories......what do you want at my age........I was there, that's about it! I do however have have better recollection of the other First Round tie we won 10-1, that was against Golders Green back in back in 1934. :winking:
More seriously, I followed the whole Cup run that season. Although the scoreline for the first two rounds were impressive, the best performance was a great and unexpected victory at Swindon, who I think were undefeated (certainly at home....did they have Don Rogers, that seems to ring a bell?) up to then. I persuaded a few friends from college, to join me on the day out, which started with a visit to Stonehenge (Still got photos of the friends next to the stones, somewhere downstairs). Lunch at a great pub, then onto the ground. I've got the programme somewhere as well as a copy of the 'Pinkun' local paper, which turned out a front page report amazingly quickly after the game was finished. That was a GREAT day! The next Round I went to Mansfield where, IIRC we nearly got an equaliser, to force a replay but went down 2-1. Think they got someone like West Ham at home in the Fifth Round.
What a draw that would have been if we had beaten Mansfield and played West Ham along with Moore Hurst and Peters .If Mansfield could turn them over 3-0 why couldn't we ,the gate would have been bigger than the Liverpool game, sorry I am just dreaming .

What a draw that would have been if we had beaten Mansfield and played West Ham along with Moore Hurst and Peters .If Mansfield could turn them over 3-0 why couldn't we ,the gate would have been bigger than the Liverpool game, sorry I am just dreaming .

This season was a fine example of the myth of the good cup draw. After scoring 19 goals in the first two rounds who do we draw in the third round, a big club? No Swindon, on the face of it a terrible draw which most would have expected to lose, but an excellent win through to the last 32 of the competition who do we draw a big club? No Mansfield and away as well where our luck ran out. That year only if we had reached the fifth round would we have had a good draw.

Now call me a pessimist but having beaten Morecambe away, should we beat Chesterfield who awaits us in the third round, Walsall away perhaps or Carlisle? Or we draw at Chesterfield draw Liverpool at home in the third round but lose the replay.

Fifty years of bad knocks and few good draws takes its toll!

Yogi is right about Don Rogers playing in the game at Swindon. That was a wonderful performance against a much-fancied side. Like him, very happy memories of the drive down to Wiltshire, stopping en route in a pub in rural Oxfordshire. But what a let down when the draw was made and to find we were at Mansfield. Don't remember too much about that game because quite a few pints of Mansfield bitter had been consumed beforehand. And we were certainly bitter afterwards.

My dad drove us both down from north London for the game, we stood out on the old south bank. From memory there was not a lot of people there, mind you in those days there were never many there on the vast expanse of the old south bank .

This season was a fine example of the myth of the good cup draw. After scoring 19 goals in the first two rounds who do we draw in the third round, a big club? No Swindon, on the face of it a terrible draw which most would have expected to lose, but an excellent win through to the last 32 of the competition who do we draw a big club? No Mansfield and away as well where our luck ran out. That year only if we had reached the fifth round would we have had a good draw.

Now call me a pessimist but having beaten Morecambe away, should we beat Chesterfield who awaits us in the third round, Walsall away perhaps or Carlisle? Or we draw at Chesterfield draw Liverpool at home in the third round but lose the replay.

Fifty years of bad knocks and few good draws takes its toll!
What about 71 we knew we only had to beat Carlisle and Spurs were waiting .

Back