• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A change in the laws?

BALDY

Striker

Arsene Wenger plan to replace throw-ins set for trial as IFAB confirms rule change​

Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's suggestions to speed up matches will lead to kick-in trials after discussions among the game's law-makers during a meeting in Qatar
Arsene Wenger

Arsene Wenger is pressing forward with his plans to shape the future of football (
Image: Getty Images)

Arsene Wenger's idea to replace throw-ins with kick-ins as a way to increase playing time is set to be trialled following discussions by the International Football Association Board at their annual general meeting.
The former Arsenal manager, who is FIFA's chief of global football development, has previously said that throw-ins and free-kicks are the biggest time wasters. Wenger is aiming "to make the game more spectacular and quicker" and has suggested players restart with their feet instead of a throw in a limit of five seconds.
IFAB - the rule-making group comprised of FIFA, The FA, the Irish FA, the Scottish FA and the FA of Wales - met in Doha, Qatar for their annual gathering, which was chaired by FIFA president Gianni Infantino, on Monday morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIFA are keen to introduce new rules regarding effective playing time ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Effective playing time has become a hot topic in recent years as many complain that some games hardly even feature 60 minutes of actual play on the ball. A CIES Football Observatory carried out recently found that the ball is only in active play for 60.2% of the match on average in the Champions League.

As reported by Corriere dello Sport, FIFA want to increase the amount of effective playing time in matches ahead of the upcoming World Cup in Qatar, but first they’ll have to receive the green light from IFAB, the body that governs the laws of football.

Current estimations suggest that matches in the 2022 World Cup could feature at least ten minutes of extra time in order to solve this issue. Confirmation of this proposal came directly from FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who recently visited Italy.

If Wenger is so worried about the time the ball is in play then surely the obvious solution is to stop the clock when it's out of play? Obviously you'd have to reduce the time (30 mins a half seems sensible based on the stats) but that seems like a more obvious solution than what Wenger is proposing.

I bet Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis are gutted this wasn't a thing when they were coaching. Suits them down to the ground. Get your CB to hit a long diagonal to a big man out wide, hold it up, get a 'kick in' and play from there.

I can't lie I'm all for innovation in the game. Always get intrigued about potential ways the sport could be more exciting. While we're on the topic...remember Steve Tilson came out with this? This one is quite out there https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...ed-boss-steve-tilson-like-football-10-a-side/

If Wenger is so worried about the time the ball is in play then surely the obvious solution is to stop the clock when it's out of play? Obviously you'd have to reduce the time (30 mins a half seems sensible based on the stats) but that seems like a more obvious solution than what Wenger is proposing.
I first read an article in The Times today and it has been suggested that the ref stops his watch each time the ball goes out of play (as you have said).

Can you imagine a freezing cold day and the opponents keep smashing the ball out.
The game would seem to last about 2 and half hours!

With regards to "the kick in" Wenger has suggested that it takes a maximum of five seconds.

I've seen some mention allowing free-kick takers to allow to pass to themselves to allow the game to be restarted quickly. These rule changes will just increase teams using cheap tactics to slow the game down, which are already happening too often in games. Every time a player concedes a free-kick or thrown-in, they kick the ball away or pick it up and jog away with it before dropping it. I thought they might have solved this years ago when they started giving yellow cards for kicking the ball away after the referee blew his whistle, but this rarely happens.

Slight tangent, this happened in a game I saw last weekend with our own ex-player Dru Yearwood. The ref blew for a free-kick on the half-way line and he decided to smash the ball towards goal and was completely astonished when the ref gave a yellow card.

Slight tangent, this happened in a game I saw last weekend with our own ex-player Dru Yearwood. The ref blew for a free-kick on the half-way line and he decided to smash the ball towards goal and was completely astonished when the ref gave a yellow card.
I was thinking that when I saw a couple of Premier League matches where they the striker was offisde but played on because they weren't sure whether VAR would over rule the lino. I was wondering whether the ref was then going to issue a yellow for playing on and smashing the ball over the bar

Is this intended to speed-up the game which has been slowed down greatly by VAR? Wenger with his idiotic ideas are a joke! Leave the ruddy game alone!!!

Is this intended to speed-up the game which has been slowed down greatly by VAR? Wenger with his idiotic ideas are a joke! Leave the ruddy game alone!!!
The kick-in did take place many years ago at non league level----It didn't last long!

What a load of bollox, let's just change the whole game of football from what it was!!!!! Why not wear pads and start using our hands as well...... The game I love is changing so much from when I first started watching it.

Last edited:
What a load of bollox, let's just change the whole game of football from what it was!!!!! Why not where pads and start using our hands as well...... The game I love is changing so much from when I first started watching it.
I wonder if they will really try this?
If they did it would be a circus.

Anyone suggesting kick-ins for the beautiful game should be kicked out of it. Farcical.

Why do people high up intend on trying fix things that seriously aren't broken?

Why do they feel like it needs changing just because its been a certain way for a period of time? It's just odd to me, like changing the whole Champions League format too, like its just not needed because it isn't broken what so ever.

I really don't see why he thinks kick ins will be any quicker.

They've still got to get the ball out of the crowd, move to the right spot, look for someone to pass to etc etc. Can't be that much different.

Only bit it would change would be creeping 10 yards down the line with the ball in your hands...

As I have already said "The Kick In's" have failed before........https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-fifa-ideas-kick-ins-kicked-touch-arsene-wenger

Why do people high up intend on trying fix things that seriously aren't broken?

Why do they feel like it needs changing just because its been a certain way for a period of time? It's just odd to me, like changing the whole Champions League format too, like its just not needed because it isn't broken what so ever.
The Champions League format change is because UEFA likes money and the new format will make them a lot more money, I think they're well aware the new format is worse but that doesn't matter to them as long as their bank balance goes up.

Why not make the cornerflag area/quarter circle larger.You always see players putting the ball right on the edge of the quarter circle...make it larger,so the attacking team has more of an advantage.
Must be a reason (money?) but why not make the goals bigger.Not sure,but when the rules were made was it not 8 feet by 8 yards?? Is it still the same?? Keepers are bigger and fitter now,....but must be a reason why the dont change it.But i dont know why coz it sounds simple rule change to do

Yep, goal dimensions still 24ft x 8ft, no reason to change that. Making them larger would be ridiculous

Back